Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 07:05 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The bezels not wide enough?
I guess I'm just used to 6" screens. On the Epos I keep alternating between fonts that are too big or regular sized fonts that produce really long lines (which is why I think a two column mode would be a plus). And the device, itself, feels more "tablet size" to me. But I'm still trying to get used to it and haven't given up yet. I guess what it really comes down to is that the Epos basically solves a need I don't have. (I don't read Manga or PDF documents and I'm near-sighted so don't need large fonts.) I got the Epos on Shop Goodwill because I like the Vision 4 a lot and it was basically just a big Vision 4. This is my first experience with an "oversize" eReader. (The Sony PRS-950 has a longer screen, but it's not wider, so I don't have the same font-size issues I have on the Epos.)

It's not like I have to like the Epos anyhow, I just thought I would.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #17
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Rcentros, that is the main reason I have been skeptical about a larger reader, even for use at home - like you, I read on a small font and a larger screen would be too big.

Thank you for trying this out so I don't have to ☺️
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #18
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Rcentros, that is the main reason I have been skeptical about a larger reader, even for use at home - like you, I read on a small font and a larger screen would be too big.

Thank you for trying this out so I don't have to ☺️
I prefer larger screens, but Landscape 2 columns.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #19
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Vision 5 (Kobo Libra "clone").
Epos2 (Kobo Forma "clone").
New waterproof Android e-readers. Fantastic!

But, what about the specs? I was about to buy a Tolino Vision 4 HD but saw it in action on YouTube, and it looked painfully slow for my use, which is to read in FBreader, look up new words on lexico.com as I read, and paste those words into Quizlet. Then read on.

So I didn't buy a Tolino back then. Hoping the new one will have more umph.

(UPDATE. Here's some specs, but it says nothing about the CPU or speed https://allesebook.de/ebook-reader/tolino-vision/)

Last edited by norweger; 10-27-2019 at 10:56 AM.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
New waterproof Android e-readers. Fantastic!

But, what about the specs? I was about to buy a Tolino Vision 4 HD but saw it in action on YouTube, and it looked painfully slow for my use, which is to read in FBreader, look up new words on lexico.com as I read, and paste those words into Quizlet. Then read on.

So I didn't buy a Tolino back then. Hoping the new one will have more umph.

(UPDATE. Here's some specs, but it says nothing about the CPU or speed https://allesebook.de/ebook-reader/tolino-vision/)
Unfortunately it looks like the Vision 5 has the same processor and the same amount of RAM as the Vision 4 — 512 MB RAM and 1GHz NXP i.MX6 CPU. The 5 used the 1GHz Freescale i.MX6 (but it looks like Freescale was bought by NXP). I assume these CPUs are the same.

https://mytolino.com/tolino-vision-5...pecifications/

You can find the Vision 4 fact sheet here...

https://mytolino.com/service/tolino-vision-4-hd/
Advert
Old 10-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #21
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Thanks, rcentros.

Maybe they've tweaked it somehow. They've done a review here, where it says:
"If you do not like it, you control the eBook reader completely via the touch screen, which quickly responded to all inputs in the practice test."

Which begs the question: quick compared to what. It's predecessor or say, an old Kindle.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:47 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
Thanks, rcentros.

Maybe they've tweaked it somehow. They've done a review here, where it says:
"If you do not like it, you control the eBook reader completely via the touch screen, which quickly responded to all inputs in the practice test."

Which begs the question: quick compared to what. It's predecessor or say, an old Kindle.
I know how fast my Vision 4 turns pages (there is a lag). I've been waiting to see a video review of the Vision 5 (just out of curiosity). I figure I might be able to gauge its relative speed by watching the reviewer turn pages. But, so far, the only video I've seen on the new Tolinos is an unpacking video for the Vision 5 and Epos 2. (I've never been able to figure out the point of these -- I want to see the thing DOING something.) Hopefully soon. When (if) 13.1 comes out for the Vision 4 I'll let folks know if I think it's a bit faster.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
This is bad when reading in portait mode, but it hardly matters in landscape mode.
I am using the Tolino Epos 2 with Android AlReader App in Landscape mode two columns and it is fine.
May I ask if the page turn buttons work with the app android app? Would you happen to know if they also work on KOReader?.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:50 PM   #24
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
May I ask if the page turn buttons work with the app android app? Would you happen to know if they also work on KOReader?.
I donot use Koreader, but AlReader reacts in the same way as keyboard values left/right, up/down.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #25
torto
Enthusiast
torto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1, Kindle PW2 (RIP), Kindle 4, Tolino Vision 5
Just wanted to share that right now Osiander.de has the Vision 5 for 139 € with a 25 € gift in ebook vouchers, while supply lasts.
torto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:04 AM   #26
fiintzu
fiintzu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2015
Hello!
This is my first post here.
So, i am thinking of upgrading my ebook reader (have a kindle paperwhite v. 2015), and i want to get a bigger one (from what i've read around here, 7'' is the best way to go), so my options are a kindle oasis or a tolino vision 5. Most of the books i read are ...oh, well, downloaded from here and there, so the link to amazon of kindle ereaders are of little to no importance to me.
Also, i am interested in a reader that can render pdfs (my paperwhite really sucks when it comes to this).

Maybe pushing it a bit, but, does anyone had the chance to compare the two? If so, is the kindle oasis (2019) worth the extra bucks?

Cheers!
fiintzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:34 AM   #27
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiintzu View Post
Also, i am interested in a reader that can render pdfs (my paperwhite really sucks when it comes to this).
Neither Kindle nor Tolino are good in this.
Look for Likebook or Onyx-Boox - 7.8 Inch screen.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-10-2020 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:53 AM   #28
torto
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Neither Kindle nor Tolino are good in this.
Look for Likebook or Onyx-Boox - 7.8 Inch screen.
From the screen size alone the Tolino Vision 5 *could* be acceptable in landscape orientation.

I am able to open and read A4 PDFs with a few pages in landscape mode somewhat comfortably. But it's painfully slow, crashes a lot (especially with larger PDFs and when trying to zoom in on 2-page spreads), only has a few predefined zoom levels (which sometimes prevents using the whole width of the screen) and has no two-finger zooming. I wonder if sideloaded Android readers would handle this any better, but I haven't been able to do it so far (I am on a Mac).
Old 01-10-2020, 05:17 AM   #29
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by torto View Post
(I am on a Mac).
Oh!
The main problem is "adb and fastboot".
If you can find this for Mac, then you can perform the content of .bat files step for step.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-10-2020 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #30
torto
Enthusiast

Thanks! I tried, but it just won't show up in adb... always empty. I'll try a workaround later.