Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
casualt
Edge User

Lightbulb default to sleep mode on startup, or something so that lcd doesn't drain

Hi,

The problem comes when I first turn on my edge.
1. The device is closed, so I just turn it on without opening it up
2. I walk away to do things while it starts up/I don't need it right away.
3. I come back to find the battery is pretty much dead.
---> This is because it starts up, then turns on the lcd, and even when it is shut it still leaves it on...even though I haven't opened it or done anything with it.

Thoughts,

- TK -

Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
10tklz
Edge User

Will the update improve boot time? I don't think this was mentioned in the newsletter but it would be nice.

Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 03:13 AM   #3
jonnickell
Edge User

I noticed that the latest upgrade cut boot time from 1:45 to 1:30 a savings of only 15 sec but still significant. Though boot time hasn't been an issue for me.....I save battery by always shutting down. ....makes the battery last all day. When the time comes that I can't wait less than two minutes for my edge to start is th time to rethink my priorities.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
casualt
Edge User

I have noticed a slight improvement since the new patch came out, but the original problem relates to the device turning everything on when it boots... even when it is closed.

ie. The LCD screen is on even when the device is shut and therefore drains the battery quicker.
Doesn't it make sense that when the device is shut that the lcd should be off?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
walt526
Edge User

I think that the mechanism for turning the LCD off when the eDGe is closed operates when the hinges bend in a certain way. If you power up while it's shut and it remains shut, then the eDGe doesn't know that it's shut.

I still don't understand why you would turn it on and leave it shut for long enough to completely drain the battery... as previous posters have suggested, why not simply not power it up until you're ready to use it?

Advert