Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #41896
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Not sure if it's exactly the same as what you are saying, but here's an article from the BBC website that I think makes a similar point - Bodyguard 'airbrushing reality' with powerful women portrayal
Yes, basically, it's what I was saying, and it's so far away from any sort of reality that it's sucking the enjoyment from it. Sure, we all watch TV, read books, as a form of escapism. We suspend reality, and solve murders, enjoy romances, whatever. But this sort of so-far-to-the-nth SJW placement, of women in jobs that they don't normally hold, in the numbers that they don't normally have, is just...I don't know, off-putting.

It's like the barrage of female characters who can ALL hold their own in a physical fight with a man that outweighs them by 100lbs or more. It's patently absurd. Sure...a trained, lightweight woman can hold her own against an untrained man, to some degree but if a 225-lb man picks up a 90lb woman and slams her into the ground, or a wall, she's NOT going to be kicking his ass. I mean, I studied martial arts, I served in the military, and yes, in my lifetime, I've been in physical altercations. You can be as strong as you can be for your body weight and size, but there are limitations. I watch these shows, where pretty much every chick on the planet punches some guy, flips him, yadda-yadda, and I wonder how many young women of the witless variety are going to try to punch some guy--and get away with it--who will find out just how much vast difference there is in F=MA.

Sure, I get it, Hollywood--in all its faces, whether the UK or Bollywood or California--invests in wishful thinking, and showing people what they think "should be," like, depicting the Met as being dominated by women, but it's not.

{shrug}. Whatever. I long ago realized that expecting Hollywood to make shows or movies that I liked was an absurd, unrealistic thought. Everything is either so idiotic it's not watchable (comedies, largely), or the ubiquitous nonsense (cops or other public servants living in multi-million-dollar beach homes or penthouses and so on with vapid plots that you can predict, two minutes in) or the pestilence that is Reality TV.

I guess being deluged with shows that depict 100% women, in male-dominated roles, is just one more silliness inflicted upon us by people who think that they're all entitled to lecture us about life, politics, economics and climate, even though pre-discovery, most of these thespians were highly-trained waiters and waitresses. Why anyone pays attention to what any of them say or do is...a ponderment. At best, a ponderment.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #41897
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today I treated myself to an online course in watercoloring. It's a basic course, to get me started. I would have preferred to do a regular course; go somewhere where the teacher is actually there. But the ones offered are either at times I have to work or they require you to have done other courses. The course was on sale for only €10.99, and it did get good reviews.

I've been wanting to get into watercoloring more, watching YouTube videos of my favourite artists but I can't get myself to paint. Hopefully this will motivate me. I've got tomorrow afternoon off (I hope), so after running some errands and having lunch I plan to paint.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #41898
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, basically, it's what I was saying, and it's so far away from any sort of reality that it's sucking the enjoyment from it. Sure, we all watch TV, read books, as a form of escapism. We suspend reality, and solve murders, enjoy romances, whatever. But this sort of so-far-to-the-nth SJW placement, of women in jobs that they don't normally hold, in the numbers that they don't normally have, is just...I don't know, off-putting.

It's like the barrage of female characters who can ALL hold their own in a physical fight with a man that outweighs them by 100lbs or more. It's patently absurd. Sure...a trained, lightweight woman can hold her own against an untrained man, to some degree but if a 225-lb man picks up a 90lb woman and slams her into the ground, or a wall, she's NOT going to be kicking his ass. I mean, I studied martial arts, I served in the military, and yes, in my lifetime, I've been in physical altercations. You can be as strong as you can be for your body weight and size, but there are limitations. I watch these shows, where pretty much every chick on the planet punches some guy, flips him, yadda-yadda, and I wonder how many young women of the witless variety are going to try to punch some guy--and get away with it--who will find out just how much vast difference there is in F=MA.

Sure, I get it, Hollywood--in all its faces, whether the UK or Bollywood or California--invests in wishful thinking, and showing people what they think "should be," like, depicting the Met as being dominated by women, but it's not.

{shrug}. Whatever. I long ago realized that expecting Hollywood to make shows or movies that I liked was an absurd, unrealistic thought. Everything is either so idiotic it's not watchable (comedies, largely), or the ubiquitous nonsense (cops or other public servants living in multi-million-dollar beach homes or penthouses and so on with vapid plots that you can predict, two minutes in) or the pestilence that is Reality TV.

I guess being deluged with shows that depict 100% women, in male-dominated roles, is just one more silliness inflicted upon us by people who think that they're all entitled to lecture us about life, politics, economics and climate, even though pre-discovery, most of these thespians were highly-trained waiters and waitresses. Why anyone pays attention to what any of them say or do is...a ponderment. At best, a ponderment.

Hitch
I couldn't possibly disagree with any of that (except perhaps describing Reality TV as a pestilence; it's far, far worse than that).

Perhaps, though, despite the tendency to depict women in unrealistic numbers in certain roles, we could give a pass to a female Time Lord (Lady?), it being entirely fictitious after all and, unlike the discussion around James Bond, there's no real reason why the Doctor shouldn't be a woman.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #41899
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Waiting for the remnants of Hurricane Michael to roar through tomorrow .... sigh ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #41900
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I couldn't possibly disagree with any of that (except perhaps describing Reality TV as a pestilence; it's far, far worse than that).

Perhaps, though, despite the tendency to depict women in unrealistic numbers in certain roles, we could give a pass to a female Time Lord (Lady?), it being entirely fictitious after all and, unlike the discussion around James Bond, there's no real reason why the Doctor shouldn't be a woman.
It's fantasy, and sci-fi, sure--but for the normal hetero person, Time Lord or not, that would be a highly disturbing experience. You're wired in a certain way--whether that's hetero, gay, whatever. Suddenly waking up--which is exactly what happens to a TL--as a different gender can't be all that much fun. I don't care WHAT your hormones are doing, your brain doesn't just switch over in a nanosecond. To me, this is more SJWing.

Hitch
Old 10-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #41901
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
It's fantasy, and sci-fi, sure--but for the normal hetero person, Time Lord or not, that would be a highly disturbing experience. You're wired in a certain way--whether that's hetero, gay, whatever. Suddenly waking up--which is exactly what happens to a TL--as a different gender can't be all that much fun. I don't care WHAT your hormones are doing, your brain doesn't just switch over in a nanosecond. To me, this is more SJWing.

Hitch
Fair enough - for me, the fantasy element of it means it doesn't really bother me.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #41902
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Fair enough - for me, the fantasy element of it means it doesn't really bother me.
Mostly, it just disappoints me. I'm not sure that it rises to "bother." It makes me roll my eyes--and I'm not much of an eye-roller, as it's a pretty childish reaction to something. For me, it's more of a "here we go again" thing.

As I said--and maybe this is just what happens as you age--I find that there's pretty much nothing on the TV, from any country, that captures my interest, even for merely an hour at a time. {shrug} With a lot of scrounging, I can, perhaps, find something once a month from AUS, the UK, CAN or whatever, that will suit us for a few nights, or a few hours, but that's about it.

Hell, even trying to find decent movies is harder and harder. Why can't they just decide that decently intelligent entertainment, in and of itself, is a worthy goal? Between the idiocy of most of the writing, and the lemming-lecturing...it's impossible.

Hitch
Old 10-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #41903
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Mostly, it just disappoints me. I'm not sure that it rises to "bother." It makes me roll my eyes--and I'm not much of an eye-roller, as it's a pretty childish reaction to something. For me, it's more of a "here we go again" thing.

As I said--and maybe this is just what happens as you age--I find that there's pretty much nothing on the TV, from any country, that captures my interest, even for merely an hour at a time. {shrug} With a lot of scrounging, I can, perhaps, find something once a month from AUS, the UK, CAN or whatever, that will suit us for a few nights, or a few hours, but that's about it.

Hell, even trying to find decent movies is harder and harder. Why can't they just decide that decently intelligent entertainment, in and of itself, is a worthy goal? Between the idiocy of most of the writing, and the lemming-lecturing...it's impossible.

Hitch
Research the past. There may be old stuff that you may have never seen that may be of interest. As long as it's "new to you".
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #41904
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Research the past. There may be old stuff that you may have never seen that may be of interest. As long as it's "new to you".
Thanks, Ralph. I've definitely been trying that, too. Seems remarkable that it's such a hassle!

Hitch
Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #41905
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
I personally like the idea of the female Doctor being bisexual. Lol

Anywho... Getting ready to head out the door. Must volunteer seven hours today. *sigh* I hope I make it on time.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #41906
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I spend a couple of hours this afternoon watercolouring. I came to several conclusions: first of all I need to practice shading first; I tried to do that when the previous layer was still too wet. Second, I can finally draw an okay apple (remembers a somewhat traumatic art class). So tomorrow and this weekend I'll pick up my brush again.

Tonight I'm going to put together the die cuts from the two snowglobe sets I got for this year's Christmas cards. That way I can figure out which colour papers to stock up on and which colour card base will look best. I've decided that I'll try to buy my card bases this year. It'll save some cutting and folding. I'm also going to get a bigger sticker maker. The one I have now is just over an inch and a half wide, there's also one that's five inches wide. It'll make putting the card together a lot easier, quicker and cleaner.

This week I saw a fun birthday card made by one of my favourite cardmakers. It was a puzzle card. So I'm thinking I might do a variation of that for next year's Christmas cards. Have a card base, with inside our message and names, on the front a couple of strips of double sided tape with the backing still on. The front of the card will be cut into puzzle pieces, which are stored inside a little pocket on the inside of the card. It will mean a fairly simple card, just stamping, no die cuts, pastes or powders. The puzzle pieces will be stored inside a little pocket on the inside of the card.

I'm just wondering if people will like such a card.

But first I have to get going on this year's cards.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #41907
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
I personally like the idea of the female Doctor being bisexual. Lol
He didn't need to be female for that, either.

Hitch
Old 10-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #41908
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

This week I saw a fun birthday card made by one of my favourite cardmakers. It was a puzzle card. .....

I'm just wondering if people will like such a card.
I had some blank puzzle cards, in the early 70's. (Commercial ones, tho probably a small company) They were intact, you wrote your message on them, and then broke them apart to send them. Fairly thick cardboard.

I never heard whether the recipients liked them!
badgoodDeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #41909
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I had some blank puzzle cards, in the early 70's. (Commercial ones, tho probably a small company) They were intact, you wrote your message on them, and then broke them apart to send them. Fairly thick cardboard.

I never heard whether the recipients liked them!
That actually sounds really cute, especially if you could use your own image!

Hitch
Old 10-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #41910
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That actually sounds really cute, especially if you could use your own image!

Hitch
I could, I've got the plotter, so I can either use ink (stamps or stencils) to create a one layer card. I could even use a picture (though I'm personally not very fond of Christmas cards of photo's of the family). I can cut them into puzzle pieces. As I said, the card itself will be a simple one layer affair, but the puzzle element adds to it. The cardmaker used a die to cut her card into puzzle pieces, but that's only available in the US size, a die would be easier, IMHO.

I've just put together the two snowglobes. The first was the "simple one", I glued it all together. It will fit on a regular EU sized card. The second one is slightly bigger, but it will fit on a 15x15cm (6x6inch) square card. It did have a lot more elements, and then I didn't even use the teeny tiny window casings. I mostly used my sticker maker for this one and it made it a lot easier. But instead of making 15 of each, I'll make 10 of the more intricate one and 20 of the simpler one.

I've made a plan how I want to start working on it. First die cutting all the pieces, then when I have to big sticker maker I can quickly put them together.

This is the third year I make fairly intricate Christmas cards. It's a nice idea to have something relatively easy next year. It'll also be fairly cheap, since I plan to use stamps and stencils I already have.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?