Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #41881
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
So, it was a good first episode. No spoilers below, I hope.

As with all the times the Doctor changes it was an episode that needed to spend some time establishing the new character and emphasising the fact that this new person was still the Doctor. It also introduced a number of new sidekicks. Having said that, it had a decent story and I enjoyed it very much.

To address the female Doctor thing; I don't think it matters. This is a character that we're used to seeing change regularly, so there's no real jarring effect to the character being a woman now. So long as the series continues with the mix of humour, science fiction, emotion and strong characters that we're used to and saw tonight, I think it'll be just fine.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-07-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #41882
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Just settling down to watch the new series of Doctor Who. The first female Doctor; looking forward to it.
Hear, hear! They actually showed it in the cinema in my town.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #41883
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Getting ready for a business trip tomorrow.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 PM   #41884
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
So, it was a good first episode. No spoilers below, I hope.

<snippage>

To address the female Doctor thing; I don't think it matters. This is a character that we're used to seeing change regularly, so there's no real jarring effect to the character being a woman now. So long as the series continues with the mix of humour, science fiction, emotion and strong characters that we're used to and saw tonight, I think it'll be just fine.
I dunno...my thing is, of all the ironies, after a lifetime of TV in which, of course, all the protags were male, except in Soaps, then the pendulum swung the other way, and now...I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but, every, and I mean, EVERY police procedural or mystery from the UK (and many from CAN and the States) now has a woman boss. EVERY captain, Lieutenant, DCI, etc., is now a woman. Every new detective show, a woman. It's as though male cops, detectives and mystery series protags have all died off, or been demoted, or are all buffoons, sexists, etc. I'm a woman, and even I'm over it. It's unrealistic and the WORST part is that 80% of the time, somehow, this female boss is a bit of a shrew, or a yeller, or, or or. Not anything remotely like actual bosses, male or female, of course.

OR, like that show that the Aussie guy was in the Mentalist thing--of course, the smart male subordinate routinely disobeys the female boss, who of course, isn't as smart and wily as he. (I managed to make it through about 4-5 of those, and promptly shut it off. I'd have fired his ass the 2nd time he "cheerfully" disobeyed and assumed he could charmingly wiseass his way out of it.)

It's like...you can't win for losing. Now it's absurdly as though the entire world is run by emo women shriekers, which is unrealistic in every possible way, or they've busy being ridden roughshod over by handsome charming smarmy male subordinates.

Whatever. Thank God for books, is all I'm going to say.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #41885
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
<shrug> Sounds like most bureaucratic organizations I've seen. . . .

Only the gender and ethnicity have changed, to protect the guilty.

(Think back to shows like Baretta I was always rooting for the bad guy, who was usually nicer than the cop.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #41886
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Poohbear, here are some aquarium pics.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1539106474

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium complete.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	166818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium right.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	166819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium center.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	166820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium Left.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	166821  
Old 10-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #41887
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
That is a gorgeous tank! Many thanks for remembering to post these pics!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #41888
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
That is a gorgeous tank! Many thanks for remembering to post these pics!
Shrimp are due tomorrow.

The stand is my wine cabinet. . .

(Cheap aquarium tip. Scotch Tape and brown wrapping paper make a great backdrop. Just tape it onto the outside of the aquarium. . . )

Last edited by Greg Anos; 10-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #41889
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Shrimp are due tomorrow.

The stand is my wine cabinet. . .

(Cheap aquarium tip. Scotch Tape and brown wrapping paper make a great backdrop. Just tape it onto the outside of the aquarium. . . )
More pics of shrimp please!

[Was that the infamous wine cabinet of recent breakage?]
Old 10-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #41890
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
More pics of shrimp please!

[Was that the infamous wine cabinet of recent breakage?]
Yes, right under the left side picture.

Pictures take a while because my "dirty" linux box won't recognize a USB stick any more. I have to borrow my brother's box and email myself the pictures to get them on MobileRead.

I have a new hard drive supposedly being delivered today to build another NUC box, as my new "dirty" box. Won't get to it until weekend. . .

Shrimp are Neocardina 1 cm long or so, growing to be 3 cm eventually. I don't know how well they will show up.

With the refrigeration unit of the wine cabinet underneath it, the aquarium runs a steady 78 F, (25+ C). That will limit what I put in it, if I put anything in it (other than shrimp). I also run a soft water aquarium, so no live bearers. . .

Last edited by Greg Anos; 10-09-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #41891
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Just Googled Neocardina - colorful litlle critters - should look great in that tank.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #41892
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just Googled Neocardina - colorful litlle critters - should look great in that tank.
I'm getting red ones and yellow ones.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 AM   #41893
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Preparing to watch a dvd. It was originally 'home movies' which I shot on a basic cine camera back in the seventies/eighties;it was later transferred to videotape (VHS) and has now been converted to dvd! Family memories, not of the best quality of course,having been transferred twice,but even so,happy days!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #41894
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Peeling away burnt tortilla from the electric burner.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #41895
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I dunno...my thing is, of all the ironies, after a lifetime of TV in which, of course, all the protags were male, except in Soaps, then the pendulum swung the other way, and now...I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but, every, and I mean, EVERY police procedural or mystery from the UK (and many from CAN and the States) now has a woman boss. EVERY captain, Lieutenant, DCI, etc., is now a woman. Every new detective show, a woman. It's as though male cops, detectives and mystery series protags have all died off, or been demoted, or are all buffoons, sexists, etc. I'm a woman, and even I'm over it. It's unrealistic and the WORST part is that 80% of the time, somehow, this female boss is a bit of a shrew, or a yeller, or, or or. Not anything remotely like actual bosses, male or female, of course.

OR, like that show that the Aussie guy was in the Mentalist thing--of course, the smart male subordinate routinely disobeys the female boss, who of course, isn't as smart and wily as he. (I managed to make it through about 4-5 of those, and promptly shut it off. I'd have fired his ass the 2nd time he "cheerfully" disobeyed and assumed he could charmingly wiseass his way out of it.)

It's like...you can't win for losing. Now it's absurdly as though the entire world is run by emo women shriekers, which is unrealistic in every possible way, or they've busy being ridden roughshod over by handsome charming smarmy male subordinates.

Whatever. Thank God for books, is all I'm going to say.

Hitch
Not sure if it's exactly the same as what you are saying, but here's an article from the BBC website that I think makes a similar point - Bodyguard 'airbrushing reality' with powerful women portrayal

Quote:
Victoria screenwriter Daisy Goodwin says TV dramas are "airbrushing reality" by having too many powerful female characters.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?