Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
jaekqubp
jaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro, Kindle Fire 2015 (KFFOWI), Nook Simple Touch
Calibre Companion Deletes Books From Calibre After Downloading

Hi everybody,

My apologies in advance if this particular question or issue is addressed elsewhere, or is obvious. I read through the FAQs and forum threads and didn't find a solution.

I am currently trying out the CC Demo version, as it seems to me to be a better integrated and more flexible interfacing option, as compared to my current process of sharing books across devices using Dropsync or USB connection.

I have Calibre 2.20 on several computers, which share a library stored on cloud storage. I haven't upgraded to the most current version for reasons of continuity across devices. Perhaps this is an issue, or a wrinkle in the setup. The issue is that when I download a book from Calibre, using Companion, it is then deleted from Calibre on the desktop, and from the library on the cloud. This seems to be case whether I connect via Content Server or Wireless Device Connection.

I haven't found any configuration setting that would seem to effectively enable or disable such behavior. I'll continue to poke around and will post an update if I come upon a solution to this issue.

Thanks for any responses.
jaekqubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekqubp View Post
Hi everybody,

My apologies in advance if this particular question or issue is addressed elsewhere, or is obvious. I read through the FAQs and forum threads and didn't find a solution.

I am currently trying out the CC Demo version, as it seems to me to be a better integrated and more flexible interfacing option, as compared to my current process of sharing books across devices using Dropsync or USB connection.

I have Calibre 2.20 on several computers, which share a library stored on cloud storage. I haven't upgraded to the most current version for reasons of continuity across devices. Perhaps this is an issue, or a wrinkle in the setup. The issue is that when I download a book from Calibre, using Companion, it is then deleted from Calibre on the desktop, and from the library on the cloud. This seems to be case whether I connect via Content Server or Wireless Device Connection.

I haven't found any configuration setting that would seem to effectively enable or disable such behavior. I'll continue to poke around and will post an update if I come upon a solution to this issue.

Thanks for any responses.
That is very strange.

Calibre provides no mechanism for CC (or any other device) to delete a book, and the content server cannot delete a book. Only base calibre or a calibre plugin can do that.

There is one situation I know of where calibre will delete a "book" when it is sent to a device: News. If a book was created by a news download and if calibre's "automatically send news ..." and "delete automatically sent news ..." options are checked then calibre will delete the books. This happens only on device connection, not via content server connections.

I would look carefully at the calibre plugins you have installed to see if any of them might delete a book under some circumstance. You might also try starting calibre with plugins disabled (see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gene...n/calibre.html). You might also try connecting to the content server from some web browser and see if it does the same thing.

Another possibility is that you have set up a virtual library that ignores books that are on-device. This would make the book appear deleted while the device was connected.

You might want to run check-library (calibre: click on the library button, Library Maintenance / Check library). This will tell you if something is going wrong with your library file storage.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
This is probably solved, given the lack of messages for so long, but here is an option to consider as well. Calibre has an option for news downloads that allows you to set how many 'back' issues to keep. When you set a schedule for a news item to download (say, every day at 4PM for example) and set 'Keep at most' to 1 issue on the advanced tab of the news schedule tab, Calibre will delete yesterday's issue when today's downloads.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
This is probably solved, given the lack of messages for so long, but here is an option to consider as well. Calibre has an option for news downloads that allows you to set how many 'back' issues to keep. When you set a schedule for a news item to download (say, every day at 4PM for example) and set 'Keep at most' to 1 issue on the advanced tab of the news schedule tab, Calibre will delete yesterday's issue when today's downloads.
I thought of that, and even mentioned it . However, the OP said that the deletions happened when using the content server, which does not run the delete news code.

TBH I can't see *any* way that the content server can delete anything, unless there is some very strange interaction with some sync tool.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote