Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #46
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Two new free books tonight:

Vanish, by Tom Pawlik

Monday Night Jihad, by Jason Elam & Steve Yohn
FYI, these are both Christian-themed novels.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #47
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
yeah, that would be nice to know earlier in the acquisition phase. thanks for the heads up though
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #48
dougbiss
Enthusiast
dougbiss doesn't litterdougbiss doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Nuts... just not for me.
As much as I'd like folders on my Kindle, I'd be thrilled just to be able to delete mistakenly downloaded material permanently!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #49
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
indeed
Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #50
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Dang! I bought that one in paper recently. I swear, all the e-book publishers must be keeping track because shortly after I buy a book, a free copy of it becomes available.

Anyway, thanks for this thread.
Sorry about that! I've had the same thing happen (lately, with ebooks dropping in price after I bought them... )

Also, for those avoiding christian based thrillers, I didn't catch who the publisher was to notice (and generally only post the book description in any case). I also know a lot of people will pick them up just because of the publisher (which, sadly, seems to decrease the quality of writing from some such publishers, although I don't know enough about this one to say one way or the other). I know my Dad will like them, though, so someone here will read them and often the "message" doesn't completely bang you over the head repeatedly, at least not with all authors, so I'll give them a try as well.

Nothing lost, really, if they are bad (just as with Don Brown's books), as they only take space on my Kindle shelf even if I never get around to reading them.
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #51
dougbiss
Enthusiast
dougbiss doesn't litterdougbiss doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Also, for those avoiding christian based thrillers, I didn't catch who the publisher was to notice (and generally only post the book description in any case). I also know a lot of people will pick them up just because of the publisher (which, sadly, seems to decrease the quality of writing from some such publishers, although I don't know enough about this one to say one way or the other). I know my Dad will like them, though, so someone here will read them and often the "message" doesn't completely bang you over the head repeatedly, at least not with all authors, so I'll give them a try as well.
I don't think anyone meant to imply that you should put christian disclaimers (or any other) on your postings... it's certainly the downloader's responsibility to evaluate what they are getting before they click through. I appreciate all listings, even those that I don't have an interest in. I'm just too quick to click sometimes.

Quote:
Nothing lost, really, if they are bad (just as with Don Brown's books), as they only take space on my Kindle shelf even if I never get around to reading them.
Are the Don Brown books that bad? Haven't tried any of them yet.
I consider reading a bad book to be a terrible loss. Not only did I spend time with something unworthy, it took that time away from another book that I could have enjoyed. I so rarely "give up" on a book once I've got any time into it that I shoot myself in the foot by continuing through to the end, hoping it will get better.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #52
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbiss View Post
Nuts... just not for me.
As much as I'd like folders on my Kindle, I'd be thrilled just to be able to delete mistakenly downloaded material permanently!
It's simple to contact Amazon and ask them to remove it from your account.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #53
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I've added Koland's latest two finds
Vanish, by Tom Pawlik
Monday Night Jihad, by Jason Elam & Steve Yohn
I put them in the Religious Fiction section and tagged them as (Thrillers).
Old 12-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #54
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

[QUOTE=dougbiss;686616]I don't think anyone meant to imply that you should put christian disclaimers (or any other) on your postings... it's certainly the downloader's responsibility to evaluate what they are getting before they click through. I appreciate all listings, even those that I don't have an interest in. I'm just too quick to click sometimes.

QUOTE]

ditto. I also try to avoid romance books as much as possible. if nothing else it really skews the reading recommendations
Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #55
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
ditto. I also try to avoid romance books as much as possible. if nothing else it really skews the reading recommendations
I actually go into the "improve my recommendations" section on amazon and mark all free books as don't use for recommendations until I read it and actually like the book.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #56
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxrLvr View Post
I actually go into the "improve my recommendations" section on amazon and mark all free books as don't use for recommendations until I read it and actually like the book.
yeah I know, but that can become very tedious
Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #57
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Huh -- learn something new every day. I didn't know you could change the recommendations!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #58
lala
lala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks to everyone who contributes/has contributed free books to this thread (and to Sporadic's original one).
Old 12-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #59
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbiss View Post
I don't think anyone meant to imply that you should put christian disclaimers (or any other) on your postings... it's certainly the downloader's responsibility to evaluate what they are getting before they click through. I appreciate all listings, even those that I don't have an interest in. I'm just too quick to click sometimes.
I've had a couple of comments on these from people that bought them at full price (in paper) - all were favorable. I haven't looked at them yet (I learned not to sample freebies, as they can disappear while you debate).

Quote:
Are the Don Brown books that bad? Haven't tried any of them yet.
I consider reading a bad book to be a terrible loss. Not only did I spend time with something unworthy, it took that time away from another book that I could have enjoyed. I so rarely "give up" on a book once I've got any time into it that I shoot myself in the foot by continuing through to the end, hoping it will get better.
I haven't read them, but have read several comments that the books were not that great (or even just awful). Some thought the christian elements were wedged into the story, rather than an integral part. And some were just mad that they didn't know it was a message/morality story from the beginning. I'm not sure, though, that I read any positive reviews of them (and several people gave up after a chapter or two of the first book). Then again, they had sales at $8 before they were free....

I also seldom quit on a book (but have had to do so a few times, as I just could not force myself to continue; more so with vanity press, but also a few that were mainstream publishers).

As to the recommendations from Amazon - I do so many searches and look at so many books for the blog, that they can be a bit hilarious. I used to try to fix my recommendations, but now I just ignore them completely.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #60
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I've found some fables. THe Mountain of Marvels, Tales from the Mabinogion Celtic Tales, for .001

Monkey King, Superhero, a Chinese Tale also .001

Songs of Power a Finnish Tale, also .001

these are written as children's stories, but are classic. I'm familiar with the first two from traditional anthologies, I haven't read these. it looks like there are quite a few more done by the same guy.

I've found it can be very convenient to have some kids books on my Kindle when places like airports when someone has decided that they just can't handle looking after their child anymore. usually I can get them settled down enough to read to them and it is better than listening to the shrieking and/or whining
Closed Thread