Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #16
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercator View Post
I own 2 PW3's and 2 PW2's.... very familiar with "shadow cones" appearing at the bottom where the 4 LED's are (Only 4 LED's on the Paperwhites)

In your pictures of the Oasis screen, it looks to me like there are 10 shadow cones along one side only... is that the thick side with the buttons or the other thin side?

I honestly didn't expect ANY screen abnormalities or artifacts with this newest Kindle device, since they have had so much production experience and so many customer complaints and device exchanges/replacements have been done since the first Paperwhite was introduced. I was really in hopes that increasing the number of LED's from 4 to 10 would make the light much more even and avoid any "shadow cones"

I am so sorry that this has happened to you... hopefully Amazon will make it right... Keep us informed, as that will help others

Thanks for sharing this
The lights are all along the thicker side of the device which has the buttons. That's where all the "shadow cones" appear. I will be requesting a replacement and will share my experience here.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wonder what is preventing them from getting it "right"
Quality Control - or lack thereof and then pot luck as to whether you get a good one or not.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #18
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Great. I'm dreading my delivery today of my Oasis. I haven't been able to enjoy a Kindle since the Kindle Touch due to uneven lighting, splotchiness, colors-green and pink etc.

Ugh...
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
This is why I don't pre-order Kindles any more.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This is why I don't pre-order Kindles any more.
I wouldn't order a kindle from Amazon again under any circumstances. I've had letters about too many returns threatening my account so something like a new a kindle would come from a shop retailer not Amazon.

My Voyage came from Argos but something this expensive would only come from John Lewis and that's after I'd seen a shop display model that looked okay as at least I'd have an example if the screen was bad.

Reports of bad screens certainly takes the pressure off as I am very bad at self control.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #21
chever
chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.chever juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Kobo Glo
That's why I bought mine from John Lewis.

I'm baffled why Amazon can't seem to get the screen right or at least consistence between units.
chever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #22
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Well I certainly won't be keeping mine if it's anything like the miserable time I had with my Paperwhites and Voyage. And it's amazing that all the mainstream reviews never mention these issues.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #23
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Well I certainly won't be keeping mine if it's anything like the miserable time I had with my Paperwhites and Voyage. And it's amazing that all the mainstream reviews never mention these issues.
I think we established at the time of the Great PW1 Screen Disaster that review units seemed to be carefully selected
I bought a Voyage last week and the screen is fine on that one, so were my PW2 and PW3 (the PW1 however was another story )

I just feel really sorry for anyone with a dodgy screen on their Oasis - you'd think Amazon would have learnt by now...
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #24
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Looks like the PW3 I returned a few weeks ago. Hope you get a replacement asap. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #25
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I received my Oasis today also and have been trying to convince myself that the screen is fine as the device is great in all other ways. I'm one of those who sees the color shifts and the one I got has it. Overall the screen is much warmer than my Voyage and the color gets darker, almost yellow on the left. I can see slight brightness where the LEDs are on the thicker side and while minor I find it more distracting in the margin than it was on the bottom. I'm going to try reading with it for awhile to see if it bothers me enough to return it. Mine came from Best Buy and will be easy to return if necessary.

Last edited by Kolja; 04-27-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #26
WilliamG
Addict

Just got mine from Best Buy, and it absolutely stinks. That's it. I'm done with Amazon and reading on Kindles. When my Kindle Touch dies, I'll be reading on my iPad.

This is a bad Kindle for several reasons:

1.) The lighting system (the pictures should tell the whole story). It looks worse in person.

2.) The screen has this annoying border where all sorts of dust etc get trapped. Also, it's not "finished" very well, with jagged edges in places.

3.) The screen sucks.

4.) The screen is not even in terms of color temperature, though it's certainly better than the Voyage.

5.) The screen still sucks.

Link to two pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/ijtcx

I can't believe Amazon can't figure out a working lighting system for their Kindles.

Last edited by WilliamG; 04-27-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #27
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
The first runs always seem to have some problems on some screens. PW, Voyage, now Oasis. I would send it back if mine had problems like that. I really hoped Amazon would have had better quality control from past experience with this kind of stuff. Hope they send you all a replacement soon, and you don't have to wait long to get a new one.

This is why I'll wait a while before ordering. I got my PW1 later and the screen was ok. Same with the PW3. Although I know some folks were lucky and had a great screen on their Oasis
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #28
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
This is a bad Kindle for several reasons:

1.) The lighting system (the pictures should tell the whole story). It looks worse in person.
Wow. Many orders of magnitude worse than anything I can make mine produce. At its worst, on mine, the shadow cones are barely perceptible and <5mm in length, not coming anywhere close to reaching the text, far better than the PW1's cones. (I tried it in several external light conditions to make sure this wasn't something to do with degree of external lighting, but no, it seems to be genuine manufacturing variation.)

I do seem to have been lucky. The luck that protects fools and the ignorant is alive and well!

Quote:
2.) The screen has this annoying border where all sorts of dust etc get trapped. Also, it's not "finished" very well, with jagged edges in places.
The border is irritating, indeed, but I don't see a way to avoid it. The case and bezel are metallic: the screen is glass. Modulo making the entire Kindle case out of glass (a weight nightmare), the two have to meet somewhere, and where they meet there will be a seam. It's not a very deep seam: a simple cotton bud cleans everything out of it in a few seconds. Time will tell if it collects as much gunge as the edges of a PW screen. (The Voyage probably has the same seam: how has that fared over time?)

There are no jagged edges on my Oasis that I can discern, so I don't know what part of it you think is jagged (I presume you're not talking about the battery contacts in the case ).

Quote:
3.) The screen sucks.
Best screen I've ever seen on a Kindle. The first one I've ever had with not one single fleck of dust trapped under it anywhere nor any dead, immobile ink flecks (my K4 had both: my PW1 had an annoying dust fleck in the top centre of the screen).

Quote:
4.) The screen is not even in color, though it's certainly better than the Voyage.
Perhaps I just don't read enough colour books to see why this matters. Almost everything I read is monochrome, and the occasional coloured chart is not worth losing the benefits of e-ink to see better. As for colour e-ink, it's reportedly still worse in numerous dimensions than B&W, including refresh time, total lifetime, and resolution. If a colour Kindle came out with all of those worse, would it be a net benefit? I really don't think so. Most books are mostly monochrome.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #29
WilliamG
Addict

My Oasis has several "sparkles" of dust underneath the glass, too.

The Voyage does not have the same lip as the Oasis where stuff can get trapped.

In any case, I'm done with Kindles.

And apologies, - for number 4, I didn't mean what you think I mean. I meant evenness of color - as in it's yellowy on the right of the screen, and not "even". I edited the post to reflect that.

Last edited by WilliamG; 04-27-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #30
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
The disappointing part is that they clearly can produce a near perfect specimen because we've seen them. It's not that the technology isn't there, it's simply that they don't keep that production standard.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote