Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #61
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I updated my Kindle PW2 and my books (not bought on Amazon) loaded onto it via USB don't show covers anymore.
Has anyone noticed this on their device too?

Edit: Calibre seems to transfer covers, but not USB sideloading.

Last edited by LucyOne; 02-03-2016 at 08:37 AM.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #62
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG1 View Post
I think the page turning is smoother and more sensitive on my Voyage. Anyone else feel this?
I definitely see this. Noticed last night while reading, seemed a bit better than before.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #63
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
I updated my Kindle PW2 and my books (not bought on Amazon) loaded onto it via USB don't show covers anymore.
Has anyone noticed this on their device too?
Just done the upgrade, and yes there are some covers which do not show, but they are the same ones which did not show up also before. All in all, 3-4 out of all my ebooks, so I would say that it is not consistent, but I had the same problem before, I do not believe it is a problem of this version.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #64
irreld
Enthusiast
irreld began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 PW3 DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixkalo View Post
It seems like 5.7.2 adds also a new kernel module for USB OTG
How did you find that? The jailbreak survived the update?
irreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #65
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilov View Post
That's sucks! No more quotes in AZW3 uploaded via USB!
The function of citation works only on books and docs transferred by Send-2-kindle service or from Amazon BookStore.
What does this mean? I'm not understanding what "no more quotes" means.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #66
Mooninite
Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Mooninite is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle PW1 & 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by irreld View Post
The jailbreak survived the update?
I just updated and see that the jailbreak does survive the update. KUAL still works and I have my screen savers back after reinstalling the screen saver hack.
Mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #67
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offie View Post
I strongly dislike what this update did with the list view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
@Offie, I couldn't agree more.
Could either of you post a screenshot of the list view with the new firmware?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #68
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Which is proof that you're "damned if you do, and damned if you don't". No matter what change is made, some people will like it, and others dislike it.
Amazon is "damned" because it forces updates on users. It does it without informing users or asking for their permission. Amazon should allow users to opt out of the update, or better still, allow users to downgrade to previous FW versions.

Last edited by Rizla; 02-03-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #69
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If anyone has a possible interest in jailbreaking their Kindle, do not install this update, and turn off wifi before Amazon stealth-upgrades your device without permission. The new jail-break should be released very soon:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265675

You should be able to apply this update after the jailbreak. But you cannot apply the jailbreak after you update the FW.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #70
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Could either of you post a screenshot of the list view with the new firmware?
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	781
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	146018  
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks. I rather like that; the "x% read" is a lot more useful than the row of dots on the current list view.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #72
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I like it. I got briefly excited by "reading lists" but it appears that there's no way to set up a custom reading list other than to artificially restrict your Goodreads "to-read" shelf or your Amazon Wishlist.
Yeah, for me it pulls from all my amazon wish lists. I have several. It does show the recently added first in sorting order. Its overall fine for me like that as I have wishlists for KU, wishlists for upcoming, wishlists for recommendations, etc. And I like that I can see on that list what book is in KU.

I wish though I could specify the goodreads shelf it pulls from for the reading list. Because I do not use the original preset want to read shelf, I created my own exclusive shelved. So it doesn't pull from that as goodreads on kindle only deals with the 3 original exclusive shelves.

If you do goodreads, the bottom recs are rotating so at times it will come from your goodreads friends, which is nice for me as I follow mostly folks that read what I read.

The new recommendation section is inside goodreads. There it lets you set your favorite genres, but they aren't drilled down enough for my tastes. But works overall. They really do seem to look at the stuff I read and liked on goodreads for the recs.

I use on cover view now, but I actually like how it puts down what is a collection, what is a book, what is a sample and what is a document.
I think for me this is more of a thing to just get used to, like anytime something changes.

I been in grid view more than list view now.

One thing I really really like that changed is the ALL/Downloaded view. Which was Cloud/device before. On the old version, it always reverted back to device when I hit the home button. And now it stays with the selection you picked. I mean I like to stay in cloud(All) view most often and it now sticks. If you like the Downloaded view, it sticks to that. Until you change it. Its not a default anymore. I really love that. It remembers.

And its possible I am dreaming, but my bookerly now looks as dark as the caecilia does. It was a bit lighter previously. I won't swear on that though, but going back and forth its about the same now. It just seems more solid. Not that I had many issues, but when it got dark, I preferred going back to caecilia as the contrast was a bit better for my eyes then. Now I don't have to do that. I can stay with bookerly. Did they make that font fuller? or whatever the word is for it.

I do miss one thing. The dots. But I have missed the progress bar also since the last basic. I still have that one, buttons and progress bar, it is nice in bright light to read on it for a while. But overall I just like how the Voyage works better. But I do miss the progress bar and those buttons and now I miss the dots that show how long a book might be. It was a visual cue to see how thick the spine of the book is so to speak.

That is the only thing though so far I don't like about the new update.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #73
Zilov
Enthusiast
Zilov began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2, Nook STwGL, Bookeen Muse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
What does this mean? I'm not understanding what "no more quotes" means.

It means that now I can't copy selected part of text and save it to My Clippings.txt file as I did before firmware 5.7.2.

This function is available now only for Amazon books or docs uploaded using send-to-kindle.
Zilov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #74
tono1020
Connoisseur
tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!tono1020 rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook (Gen3, Opus), K3, K4NT, PW, PW2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilov View Post
It means that now I can't copy selected part of text and save it to My Clippings.txt file as I did before firmware 5.7.2.

This function is available now only for Amazon books or docs uploaded using send-to-kindle.
On my PW2 (with firmware 5.7.2) it works exactly the same as before: buttons Highlight, Note, Share and Search appears when you select text. Highlights and Notes are stored in My Clippings.txt as before this update.
I'm talking about sideloaded books.

Last edited by tono1020; 02-03-2016 at 11:14 AM.
tono1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #75
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Here you go
Thanks for that Josie, I prefer the dots in list view, as it had the added bonus of showing how long each book was, but then I still miss the dots/progress bar from the old Kindle Keyboard!

I now know there's no rush for me to update though, so I'll just leave the OTA update to happen whenever (I don't have wi-fi on very often).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote