Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #61
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
And the ringmaster has retired or gone on holiday, so there is no one left to keep the bear on its toes and learning new tricks, until someone in the audience is brave enough to step up and keep the bear dancing.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #62
ChrisNunz
ChrisNunz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, why am I getting an error message that the iOS Plugin is not installing? Here are the error details, thanks!

calibre, version 2.11.0
ERROR: Install Plugin Failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart Calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/dialogs/plugin_updater.py", line 712, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 390, in add_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 557, in initialize_plugin
InvalidPlugin: Initialization of plugin Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 551, in initialize_plugin
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 910, in initialize
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 1239, in _get_connected_device_info
InitialConnectionError: Unable to connect to iDevice
failed with traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 551, in initialize_plugin
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 910, in initialize
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 1239, in _get_connected_device_info
InitialConnectionError: Unable to connect to iDevice
ChrisNunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #63
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please see this thread, first post and last few pages: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241143.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #64
hbtaylor
Enthusiast
hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!hbtaylor My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: iPad 3, Nexus 7 (2013)
Workflow Question - Read, Readling List, etc.?

I've tried to use and love Marvin XD several times. I am beginning to think I'm either missing something conceptually, or just not using it correctly. It feels like I should be able to connect my iPad to Marvin and have things like my Reading List, list of Read books, etc., be synchronized between calibre and Marvin, but somehow it doesn't work that way for me.

For example, I just finished a book last night in Marvin. The book was in my Reading List on the device, so I swiped left, chose Actions, and chose "Mark as Read" and "Remove from reading list". Then, it was time to sync with calibre.

I checked before syncing, and I had 10 items in my Reading List and 55 items in my Read list in Marvin. I connected to calibre, clicked the Marvin XD button, selected all from the dialog and chose "Refresh custom columns". After that finished, I had 12 items in my Reading List (2 books I had read recently re-appeared) and 50 items in my Read list (obviously, 5 items I had read disappeared from the list).

My expectation is that I should be able to add/remove things from Reading List, Read, and other collections, and have them flow back to Marvin. But what seems to happen is that the flags in calibre are pushed to Marvin.

I'm running calibre v2.12, Marvin XD v1.2.4, iOS Reader Applications v1.4.4, on an iMac running Mavericks. I have custom columns defined in Marvin XD for everything but Annotations. In General Options for Marvin XD, only "Apply temporary markers to duplicate books" is checked, and the debug options are unchecked unless I'm looking at debug logs in a terminal. In iOS Reader Applications, the preferred reader is set to Marvin, booklist caching is disabled, the Marvin tab say to "update metadata" when sending books already in Marvin, and I have custom columns assigned to all 3 fields. Editing of collections in Device view is disabled.

Am I missing something? I have a feeling that it is something in my workflow processes, or some incorrect assumption about how I should flag books in Marvin/calibre.

Thanks for any help or guidance I can get.

h.b.
hbtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:09 AM   #65
rtillsley
rtillsley began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6+
Problems Connecting new iPhone with Marvin and Calibre

------

Last edited by rtillsley; 12-14-2014 at 05:19 AM. Reason: deleted as wrong location
rtillsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2015, 12:59 AM   #66
LuHallulat
LuHallulat began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2, Calibre and MarvinXD
Having a little trouble getting my metadata syncing to stick.

I'm working with an iPad2 and Windows 8, and everything is up to date as far as I can tell; I've had this problem across a couple of different updates and computers.

I run Marvin XD and it gives me the highlighted colors just fine; I right-click and tell it to import from Marvin to Calibre. It runs just fine, finishes the job, everything is green. (By now I also always try to export the newly-imported info back into Marvin once all the titles have turned green, just to be sure exactly the same info is in both databases.)

I disconnect, I reconnect, I run XD again, and I have the same number of unmatched meta highlights as before, despite having changed nothing in either location. Am I missing a vital step?
LuHallulat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #67
raquelmano
raquelmano began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Sony Reader
Marvin XD missing books and crashes Calibre

Hi,
I spent some time looking at options and deciding to reorganize all my eBooks into calibre and use Marvin as my primary reader. The reading experience is great, and my wife and I have have been using it happily for several weeks.

Just a few days ago, I finally got all my ebooks into calibre with the metadata the way that I want it (that is what it is for, right?). This may have been putting the cart before the horse, but we wanted to start reading with Marvin while I worked on the bigger, whole library project of Calibre.

When I was first testing Marvin XD a few weeks ago, it would recognize books in my Marvin Library and match them properly with my calibre library. I could apply changes to metadata two and from Marvin from my computer, but none of that works now.

Now, I click Marvin XD and it only lists 5 of the 11 books in my Marvin Library. Also, none of them are colored, indicating they aren't in my Calibre Library, which some of them certainly are.

I've tried manually fiddling with the metadata to make sure it matches between Calibre and Marvin, but it doesn't seem to affect Marvin XD's "Explore . . ." button. They still don't match.

But when I look at the Marvin device library contents in Calibre, it shows all twelve books, but the check marks only indicate that some of them (8 of 11) are "In Library". It seems strange that the Device Library is able to see more matches than Marvin XD.

Anyway, here is briefly what I have and what I have done to trouble shoot:

OSX 10.10.2
Calibre 2.22.0
iOS reader applications plugin 1.4.6.0.0
Marvin XD plugin 1.2.4

iphone 5
iOS 8.2
Marvin 2.8.1

Wifi syncing is disabled in itunes
Syncing does not start automatically
I have unpdated Calibre. I uninstalled both plugins and re-installed them.

I have already reset the cache in iOS reader application (that helped some), but when I open the Marvin XD "customize plugin" dialogue, Calibre crashes (This just started happening, but its happened every time. I have attached a problem report. its rather long, so I didn't want to paste it in.)

I could just delete all the books in Marvin and start again, but my wife has done a lot of annotations, and she has a lot more books than I do. The main thing that sold me in Marvin was the ability to work with Calibre, back up annotations, reimport them, and even merge them (so far this works well, unless I delete the book and try to reinstall from calibre).

Why don't more books show up in my Marvin XD Explore Library feature?
Why can't I match them or sync meta data?
How can I best preserve the annotations I already have in Marvin, wile implementing the metadata I have cleaned up in Calibre?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 11.09.38 PM.png
Views:	510
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	136268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 10.22.27 PM.png
Views:	448
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	136269  
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Problem report for Calibre.rtf (163.6 KB, 340 views)
raquelmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #68
incumbent
Opinionator
incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / iPad Mini Retina • iBooks (macOS, iOS) & Marvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelmano View Post
How can I best preserve the annotations I already have in Marvin, wile implementing the metadata I have cleaned up in Calibre?
Send the annotations out from Marvin's export to an .mrv file (xml) and then open it again later. This will only work if the id of the book stays the same.

Marvin exceeds the capabilities of calibre or plugins in this regard. Annotations and highlights are trapped in Calibre in the sense that while they can be exported they cannot be exported from calibre and associated with a book you are reading again.

I usually do this by emailing the mrv export to my Evernote email address so I can easily import it back in on the same device. It's clunky and awkward to round trip the same file, but this is the lowest friction I could attain.
incumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #69
truth1ness
Zealot
truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I love how you can import the Marvin reading progress into Calibre. However, is there some way to get Calibre's Viewer to open up to that same page (or the furthest read page between the two) when you open the file on your computer?
truth1ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:09 AM   #70
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth1ness View Post
I love how you can import the Marvin reading progress into Calibre. However, is there some way to get Calibre's Viewer to open up to that same page (or the furthest read page between the two) when you open the file on your computer?
While certainly possible, that would require enhancements to the Viewer to evaluate Marvin's sync data. That's outside the scope of this plugin.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #71
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Welcome back, Philantrop.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #72
falkgottschalk
falkgottschalk began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
Hello,

since I've updated my iOS-Device to 8.3, I can not connect the iPhone to calibre, the Icon does not appear. Further, a fried has exactly the same problem and so I assume that there is a general problem with the marvin-app OR the Plugin.

Anybody else with the same problem? And maybe a solution??
Thanks!

Falk
falkgottschalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #73
ShellShock
Wizard

My best guess is that Apple have changed the comms protocol again, so that the libimobiledevice library used by the plugin can no longer connect to idevices on IOS 8.3. I suggest you consider downgrading to IOS 8.2. as a fix might not be forthcoming. Please see the IOSRA plugin thread for more details.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #74
incumbent
Opinionator
incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / iPad Mini Retina • iBooks (macOS, iOS) & Marvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
My best guess is that Apple have changed the comms protocol again, so that the libimobiledevice library used by the plugin can no longer connect to idevices on IOS 8.3. I suggest you consider downgrading to IOS 8.2. as a fix might not be forthcoming. Please see the IOSRA plugin thread for more details.
You're 100% correct. The change in communication protocol(s) was implemented in the first developer release of iOS 8.3 a few months ago — all software that relies on this code to function (i.e. anything that lets you attach and browse a device via fuse or other methods to effectively mount containers on your device as a filesystem) will not work as expected on a device with 8.3.
incumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #75
YRead
YRead began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I can confirm that downgrading to iOS 8.2 fixes the Marvin / Calibre Connector.

Apparently iOS 8.3 breaks file transfer utilities: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/13/...ox-app-access/
(as Incumbent pointed out)
YRead is offline   Reply With Quote