Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's mildy useful when it happens to be broken (and/or something goes wrong), like it was for a few days, because that effectively disabled the Coverbrowser plugin, which might prompt on to look at the logs for more details .

The wording could probably be improved, but then it's actually doing just what it says on the tin, so, eh? Simplify to something simpler along the lines of database migration/update or something?

(Ditto for the stats one).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #17
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Just remove the "schema"? It's not really providing useful additional information.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #18
ichnilatis
Groupie
ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Let me ask you: Do we have to wait for a new KOReader version to have new translations built in or can we put them manually in the existing version?

It may have been answered above (#9) but I didn't quite understand the answer.

Thanks!
ichnilatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TL;DR: Use a nightly instead of a stable, and everything's automated.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #20
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
We can start calling the stable "monthly" to prevent the Debian disease of calling stable to old versions.

After all 95% of the time the most stable release is the last one.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #21
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure I'd go quite that high; depends on the changes in question. ;-)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:11 AM   #22
ichnilatis
Groupie
ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'm sorry but I do not understand the term "nightly". What exactly is this?
If I wait for the next edition, will I see new translations that have been made in "Hosted Weblate" built into it?

Thanks!

Last edited by ichnilatis; 01-22-2021 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:12 AM   #23
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichnilatis View Post
I'm sorry but I do not understand the term "nightly". What exactly is this?
A release that happens each night when there're changes in github. These releases are exactly like "stable" releases, but they're not managed manually, so they might contain bugs or regressions.

You can get nightlies from http://build.koreader.rocks/download/nightly/ but the easiest way to update to a nightly is from the program itself. You'll need to switch the update channel from "stable" to "dev" and check if there's an update.

Quote:
If I wait for the next edition, will I see new translations that have been made in "Hosted Weblate" built into it?
Yes for both nightlies and stable releases.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:59 AM   #24
ichnilatis
Groupie

@pazos: Thank you! Now it's all clear to me.

Could anyone explain to me what exactly "hint" and "hinting" means in phrases like: "Font Hinting", "TOC hints", "hint for books with description"?

I cann't make sense of the interpretations I find in the dictionary.

Thank you!

Last edited by ichnilatis; 01-23-2021 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:26 AM   #25
Frenzie
Wizard

They're only vaguely related.

Font hinting refers to "hints" about how to rasterize a font to a screen. See here. The intent is to provide clearer text at the expense of accuracy to the font's actual shape.

The higher the DPI, the less the distinction matters.

As an aside, if you long press on "font hinting" it'll provide you with a little bit of an explanation within the program, although how clear it is in this case is another matter.

-------

TOC hints are explained in the about alternative TOC menu item. If you're only seeing this through Weblate, if you click through to the code you'll actually see that explanation right next to it: https://github.com/koreader/koreader....lua#L582-L591

The general idea is the same as with font hinting. A document will typically include a TOC, but if it doesn't, it'll often still include headers. Those headers can be used as "hints" to build a TOC.

------

The last one is a bit different. In this case it's some type of visual hint to the user that a book contains a description. I'm not the biggest fan of what it looks like, but it's also hard to come up with something much better. See the attached screenshot, top without a hint, bottom with a hint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-01-23_10-25-23.png
Views:	227
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	184894  
Old 01-23-2021, 04:59 AM   #26
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of what it looks like, but it's also hard to come up with something much better. See the attached screenshot, top without a hint, bottom with a hint.
Ah, so that's what it is? I always thought it was some badly aligned frame.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:05 AM   #27
Frenzie
Wizard

That's the main thing I dislike about it, yes.

I'd propose something more along these lines but I couldn't or didn't want to invest the time to experiment (whether in drawing up concept art or doing things directly in code).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	description-hint.png
Views:	223
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	184895  
Old 01-27-2021, 07:23 AM   #28
ichnilatis
Groupie

What is "HW dithering" and "SW dithering"? I do not understand mainly the abbreviations HW and SW.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #29
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
What is "HW dithering" and "SW dithering"? I do not understand mainly the abbreviations HW and SW.

Thanks!
Dithering is explained in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=644

HW/SW is who does the dithering. "SW" means software and "HW" hardware
Old 01-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Note that these are in a menu named "Developer options", hence the jargon.