Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
comet
Connoisseur
comet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis , Kindle Oasis 2, Tolino Epos
trouble when converting many epubs to epubs

I tried to convert 11 epubs again to epubs. Calibre started converting and finished 10 books conversion. The conversion of the 11th started, but in the progress bar of the job I got the message that no information about progress was available and calibre didn't finish. I had to stop this job und start it again. Then calibre finished very fast. Does calibre have a problem converting many books simultanously?
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
I tried to convert 11 epubs again to epubs. Calibre started converting and finished 10 books conversion. The conversion of the 11th started, but in the progress bar of the job I got the message that no information about progress was available and calibre didn't finish. I had to stop this job und start it again. Then calibre finished very fast. Does calibre have a problem converting many books simultanously?
Not officially

What OS? What version NUMBER of calibre?
What is the value in Preferences: Miscellaneous: 'Maximum Conversions..." ?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
comet
Connoisseur

Calibre: 0.8.43
Maximum Conversions: 3
The maximum number is limited to the number of CPU cores, that means 4 on my system
Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Converting ePub > ePub is a really bad idea. If you have an issue with these ePub, use Sigil to fix them the tweak program to go in and make the changes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
comet
Connoisseur

I have the problem that calibre's viewer doesn't show some epubs former versions of calibre were able to show. With these epubs I now only get an empty white screen in the previewer. After converting them using epub to epub the viewer is again able to show them.
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Calibre: 0.8.43
Maximum Conversions: 3
The maximum number is limited to the number of CPU cores, that means 4 on my system
Now we wait for Kovid

BTW my Ubuntu Natty rig (1G RAM P4-3.2 Hyper threaded) has been taking OMG time (1000+ on some, others just minutes) on EPUB to Mobi.
(and something started Calibre using Swap, which almost never gets used when Only Calibre is running.)

I have seen Calibre 8.43 leave behind, and running, Killed (in) Calibre tasks.
I also had a spontaneous reboot happen yesterday, while 2 long running converts were running. The KVM was on the Window system when it happened)
And I later found a Zombie Calibre-Parrallel

As soon as this set finishes, I will run Memtest86
Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
And I later found a Zombie Calibre-Parrallel
Now you are scaring me
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Now you are scaring me
You only get Zombies on Linux, Windows would rather BSOD on you
Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Hmm I had a BSOD on a laptop I bought a couple of weeks ago (well 24+) so I sent it back. Replacement is fine I think and never had one on my desktop.

Zombies seems scarier though and in a weird way almost desireable to those of us who know no better.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have the problem that calibre's viewer doesn't show some epubs former versions of calibre were able to show. With these epubs I now only get an empty white screen in the previewer. After converting them using epub to epub the viewer is again able to show them.
When testing an ePub, use ADE. Don't use any other program to display it. If it works, then it's the fault of the other program.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is a longstanding issue with IPC on some linux systems that I have never been able to reprduce and no one else has been able to track down. Basically the last job in a large batch of jobs hangs endlessly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Orphan

Here is a screen shot.
I killed a 1900 Minute convert (the last running) in about 10)
Closed Calibre and the CPU loag did not fall

Screen capture and Files open for the orphaned Calibre Process
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orphan.png
Views:	285
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	84290   Click image for larger version

Name:	orphan2.png
Views:	308
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	84291  
Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only way to debug this is to run calibre from source and add debugging code to the IPC sections of calibre.

As a first step if you can consistently reproduce it, run calibre in a terminal and see if any tracebacks are printed. Then add some print statements to main() inipc/worker.py and see what's happening.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Converting ePub > ePub is a really bad idea. If you have an issue with these ePub, use Sigil to fix them the tweak program to go in and make the changes.
disagree, sometimes it can take a very long time to manually locate an obscure glitch via sigil, whereas epub to epub is often a very fast quick fix. it is very good e.g. at regularising margins & stripping irrelevancies from css. it is also the only practical way to quickly break a single large xhtml into chapter sized chunks
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote