Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #361
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad, Nexus 7
To follow up on the use of KFX for personal documents, both books appear to have the same internal formatting as published books. The PDF was converted to KFX print replica format, which includes the original PDF but also adds a hidden text layer that the Kindle uses for dictionary lookups and annotations.

One difference is that published KFX books are always split across multiple files on a Kindle device. That is not the case with these books. Everything is actually in a single file that can be copied to another Kindle app or device.

I tried both KFX files on my Oasis running 5.15.1 firmware. The book produced from an EPUB worked fine. The PDF-sourced book was readable but I was unable to lookup words or annotate it. The same KFX file sideloaded to the Kindle for iOS app handled lookup and annotation properly.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #362
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus
Turns out the bottom margin is fine. Apparently the specific page in the photo had something going on as other pages have a small bottom margin.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:28 PM   #363
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Turns out the bottom margin is fine. Apparently the specific page in the photo had something going on as other pages have a small bottom margin.
Probably widow/orphan elimination, i.e. the next line was the first line in a paragraph that had > 2 lines in it.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #364
innocenat
Connoisseur
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
I wondered if fixed-layout epub (comics/manga) are also converted to KFX.

Though the Scribe doesn't support sticky note on comics/manga anyway so I guess they are still find with delivering them in AZW3.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #365
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Introducing a different thought, is anyone else having problems opening books from their Kindle library on the Scribe? I find that if I have the book also in an Audible version the Audible is the only one that downloads.

If this has already been asked please forgive and point me to the posts? Thx
You might be having a version of the same problem I had initially. All my bought-at-Amazon audiobooks appeared in my library at my first setup, but only books purchased in the past year showed up in my library (I could send them to my Scribe from the Manage Content and Devices page @ the Amazon site).

For some reason, the other books didn't show up in my library until several days later--and it just happend, without my doing anything to trigger it.
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM   #366
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 14PM, Kindle Paperwhite SE, iPad mini 6, PocketBook Era
So at present, these KFX personal documents only get sent to Scribe?

I just tried converting an ePub and it didn't download as KFX on my PW11th. Guessing and hoping they will throw a switch to enable this for other Kindles and the Kindle apps.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #367
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad, Nexus 7
Amazon delivering KFX format to the Scribe for personal documents may be a sign that the new annotation features of that platform require KFX format. There are some books for sale on Amazon that use reflowable format but are not available in KFX format, for example Predators I Have Known Kindle Edition with Audio/Video and That's a Wrap from The Sea of Tranquility. These books do not support Enhanced Typesetting (KFX format) and the listings for those books show "Sticky notes Not Enabled".

I am curious how sticky notes and PDF annotations are actually stored on a Scribe. Regular text annotations for KFX format are stored in a .yjr file in the .sdr folder associated with the book. In the KFX personal documents posted earlier in this thread the .yjr file associated with the PDF document has a new data structure called "annotation.personal.handwritten_note". Where the text of a regular annotation would appear it instead has the string "cv5GW4xHvSmWMXVPefHzMPQ0". There is no apparent sign of an actual annotation image. Perhaps it is stored elsewhere on the device.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:50 AM   #368
sanch
sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sanch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you use negative margins with the Scribe to get rid of the wasted L/R margins?
Yes, I did this today via Calibre, converted an epub to kfx for the non-justified text alignment. -100 to reach the very edge of the screen, so I went with -75 to leave a tiny bit of space and still get more words on a line than the default.
The hand icon overlaps, but I put it on the right side and at -75 it’s an acceptable trade-off.
sanch is offline   Reply With Quote