Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-06-2022, 02:31 PM   #46
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I had a coworker friend who was a hoarder. Piles of junk mail, unopened cans of food years old in the garage, etc. After seeing her place it made me realize that I needed to make sure I didn't have any stuff that I no longer needed and went through my place and got rid of a lot of stuff. Just recently I put out on the curb some pots and pans I no longer use; we have "iron mongers" who come by every month or so to collect unwanted metal stuff.

On my daily walks I go by a house that sometimes has its garage door open and their garage is packed. They have a narrow channel down the middle to walk in.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #47
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I had a coworker friend who was a hoarder. Piles of junk mail, unopened cans of food years old in the garage, etc. After seeing her place it made me realize that I needed to make sure I didn't have any stuff that I no longer needed and went through my place and got rid of a lot of stuff. Just recently I put out on the curb some pots and pans I no longer use; we have "iron mongers" who come by every month or so to collect unwanted metal stuff.

On my daily walks I go by a house that sometimes has its garage door open and their garage is packed. They have a narrow channel down the middle to walk in.
Extreme hoarders are whom you notice, and they are the ones shown in the media. You don't notice people who only hoard certain stuff, or you call them simply collectors.

I hoard ebooks, digital wallpapers and a couple of paper magazines. I don't hoard much anything else, either physically or digitally. Am I a hoarder? Or am I a collector? Depends on your definition, I guess.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:40 PM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Extreme hoarders are whom you notice, and they are the ones shown in the media. You don't notice people who only hoard certain stuff, or you call them simply collectors.

I hoard ebooks, digital wallpapers and a couple of paper magazines. I don't hoard much anything else, either physically or digitally. Am I a hoarder? Or am I a collector? Depends on your definition, I guess.
I'm fairly sure that use of the word "hoarder" to simply mean "collector" would, today, be limited to dragons sitting on their piles of treasure and similar.

Most people would, I bet, assume we're talking about hoarding disorder.
I certainly do.
And my question, which was just an aside that is now long off topic, was just wondering if those hoarders believe their piles of old newspapers or collections of unreadable, obsolete ebook files have value and use, and THAT'S why they're compelled to keep them, or if they are compelled to keep them despite believing they have no value or use.

Last edited by ApK; 12-06-2022 at 03:47 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm fairly sure that use of the word "hoarder" to simply mean "collector" would, today, be limited to dragons sitting on their piles of treasure and similar.

Most people would, I bet, assume we're talking about hoarding disorder.
I certainly do.
And my question, which was just an aside that is now long off topic, was just wondering if those hoarders believe their piles of old newspapers or collections of unreadable, obsolete ebook files have value and use, and THAT'S why they're compelled to keep them, or if they are compelled to keep them despite believing they have no value or use.
I don't have any unreadable, obsolete files. I keep my ebook collection well in order and up to date. And yes, of course they have value and use for me. I read them. Granted, I couldn't read them all in hundreds of years, but I read as much of them as I can.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:52 PM   #50
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I don't have any unreadable, obsolete files. I keep my ebook collection well in order and up to date. And yes, of course they have value and use for me. I read them. Granted, I couldn't read them all in hundreds of years, but I read as much of them as I can.
I don't know how to make it any clearer that I wasn't talking about folks like you. To my mind, you're a file collector, not a hoarder.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #51
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I don't know how to make it any clearer that I wasn't talking about folks like you. To my mind, you're a file collector, not a hoarder.
Ah, ok. My definition of hoarding is to collect something in a far larger amount than you could use in your lifetime. But yeah, by that link you supplied I'm a collector, not a hoarder. So I have no idea what goes on in a true hoarder's head. I guess it's something like "who knows what may happen, perhaps I'll need it" even when they clearly wouldn't.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #52
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Ah, ok. My definition of hoarding is to collect something in a far larger amount than you could use in your lifetime. But yeah, by that link you supplied I'm a collector, not a hoarder. So I have no idea what goes on in a true hoarder's head. I guess it's something like "who knows what may happen, perhaps I'll need it" even when they clearly wouldn't.
The bolded bit is what I think of my 'hoarding' as well, and that only extends to digital stuff. I can't stand too much physical stuff around me; makes me feel hemmed in.

In my younger days, I was primed to become a hoarder of physical books but twice I lost collections to water damage, then later I never had enough space, and by the time we settled into our own home and had more space, I got into ebooks. I probably have only about 250 physical books if I add in my craft and recipe books, and professional reference books.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:02 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if @Sirtel's definition is correct for what a hoarder is, then most of us are hoarders as we probably have more books/eBooks then we'll ever read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #54
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
When I used to use Calibre and had access, most of my sideloaded were AZW3 because I had less issues with the cover art with that format. Some mobi's but rarely did I create in PDF format
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote