Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #16
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
I noticed that the quality of the cover of epubs sent by e-mail is a little lower compared to the same book sent by e-mail in mobi format. This is only noticeable in grid format, not visible in list mode. And I believe most people won't even notice.

The book on the left was sent in epub format. And the one on the right in mobi format.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	308
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	196842  
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:07 PM   #17
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Good news! At least for me, this update restored the "Display Cover" toggle (KOA3; after I jailbroke it, the option disappeared).
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #18
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@DenS What was the original format for that book? Aka did you happen to do conversion via Calibre from retail mobi to epub (& then sent that epub file to Kindle via email?)?
Or where both mobi file and epub files results of Calibre conversion?

In other words:

1) what are your Calibre settings for output profile?
2) did you use Calibre to convert that book before sending it to Amazon's servers?

Because Calibre conversion will use output profile that can and will resize all images to match the max size set by particular profile. So maybe that facts is the source of that difference in cover thumbnails quality? (as in lower quality / resolution fullsize cover used to generate lower quality thumbnail?)

@Badcatalex Did you reinstall jailbreak hotfix after installing this firmware update? And do you now have visible "Kindle Feedback" book?

Last edited by shamanNS; 09-28-2022 at 05:17 PM.
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #19
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@Badcatalex Did you reinstall jailbreak hotfix after installing this firmware update? And do you now have visible "Kindle Feedback" book?
I reinstalled it both before and after, I do not have "Kindle Feedback", but MRPI needs to get an update to account for some changes in how the UI works seemingly... after "restarting UI", the device hangs on a white screen until a manual restart is done via the power button. Still installs right though.

They also added an undocumented (in change logs) start up screen, replacing what used to just be a static screen without a loading bar (the loading screen with the loading bar stays the same) with a smaller Kindle logo and a loading wheel.

Edit: They also changed the "Your Kindle is restarting" screen.
Edit 2: PW5 already had the loading wheel supposedly, so this means they enabled it for other devices now.

Last edited by Badcatalex; 09-28-2022 at 05:58 PM. Reason: changes lol
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #20
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@DenS What was the original format for that book? Aka did you happen to do conversion via Calibre from retail mobi to epub (& then sent that epub file to Kindle via email?)?
Or where both mobi file and epub files results of Calibre conversion?

In other words:

1) what are your Calibre settings for output profile?
2) did you use Calibre to convert that book before sending it to Amazon's servers?
The original format is in epub format. I didn't do the epub>mobi>epub conversion.

1) I always use "tablet" in the output profile, whether for epub, mobi, azw3 or kfx. So maybe that's not the cause? anyway I attached an output profile picture.
2) Yes, I converted to mobi using caliber before emailing it.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that I used the "Beautify All Files" and "Check Book" option in the caliber editor in epub before emailing it and before converting it to mobi. But I don't see why this would lower the quality of the cover in the Kindle library.
I verified that this "problem" is not only in this ebook, but in every epub I send by email.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	output profile.png
Views:	184
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	196844  
Old 09-28-2022, 09:02 PM   #21
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@DenS Ok. If you're using tablet output profile then that is one possibility that is now excludes: that Calibre has messed with cover image file.

So it is probably related to processing done on Amazon's end.
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:54 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Still no update for Send To Kindle (Mac). I cannot even remember the last time I used e-mail to send something.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:15 PM   #23
DenS
Connoisseur

Quote:
@DenS Ok. If you're using tablet output profile then that is one possibility that is now excludes: that Calibre has messed with cover image file.

So it is probably related to processing done on Amazon's end.
Well, it's not something that really bothers me. It's not very noticeable on my PW3, although it's more noticeable on my PW5. So I imagine it will be quite problematic on a 10.2 inch Kindle (Kindle Scribe).
Old 09-29-2022, 05:49 AM   #24
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
It’s back to 5.14.3.2 on the french Amazon page.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #25
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
It’s back to 5.14.3.2 on the french Amazon page.
Interestingly the latest version displayed on the page is indeed 5.14.3.2, however the download link does point to the 5.15.1 binary file (at least for the Oasis).
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:23 AM   #26
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
Indeed.
When I  came yesterday, the text said 5.15.1, but I decided to wait a couple of weeks. It seems I was right.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:27 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Page text and link is 5.15.1 now on many.
Downloaded PW3 and gen 9 Oasis.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #28
joh77
joh77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
Does the "cloud not available" error still pop up on unregistered devices?
joh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #29
zaqxsw
Connoisseur
zaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 - Gen 11
The temporary Collection named "Uncollected" does not disappear now when emptied. It also has no option to delete, edit, etc.

Not a big deal, just a change, I guess.
zaqxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:20 AM   #30
SudoPi
SudoPi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by joh77 View Post
Does the "cloud not available" error still pop up on unregistered devices?
Unfortunately, yes. This still happens every single time I exit a book. Hope it'll be fixed soon.
SudoPi is offline   Reply With Quote