Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Kindle support in calibre

I'm looking to get the Kindle supported by Calibre. I don't have a Kindle so I need some information from some Kindle owners to get it supported.

Can someone on Windows run the get_windows_devices2 app from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=48. It will create a file a file called out.txt. Please upload this file. Be sure to run it with the Kindle connected to the computer. Preferably once with and without an SD card.

Can someone on OS X run the following in a terminal and post the output:
Code:
ioreg -w 0 -S -c IOMedia
Again, with and without a memory card while the device is connected.

Does the Kindle support ebooks in sub-directories? Meaning will it detect a book in kindle/documents/sifi/person_name/series/ or do all ebooks have to be in kindle/documents?

Are there any auxiliary files created by the device (.t2b, .mbp ...)?

Thanks.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Can someone on Windows run the get_windows_devices2 app from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=48. It will create a file a file called out.txt. Please upload this file. Be sure to run it with the Kindle connected to the computer. Preferably once with and without an SD card.
See the attached, with and without an SD card. In both cases the "F:" drive was identified as "Kindle" and was the internal memory. In both cases, "I:" was identified as a removable drive but the drive was empty when there was no SD card.

Quote:
Does the Kindle support ebooks in sub-directories? Meaning will it detect a book in kindle/documents/sifi/person_name/series/ or do all ebooks have to be in kindle/documents?

Are there any auxiliary files created by the device (.t2b, .mbp ...)?
I don't use subdirectories, but my understanding is that you can use them they just don't normally have any effect on the listing. This is actually strange, now I think about it, given that the Kindle is based on MOBI (no subdirectory) software.

The Kindle produces .mbp files.
Attached Files
File Type: txt out_SD.txt (2.8 KB, 315 views)
File Type: txt out_noSD.txt (2.5 KB, 448 views)
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Can someone on OS X run the following in a terminal and post the output:
Code:
ioreg -w 0 -S -c IOMedia
Again, with and without a memory card while the device is connected.
Files are attached. As long as the ebook is in the documents folder Kindle will see it. It can be in a sub-folder of the documents folder also. Although Kindle flattens to only show a single list, it doesn't respect the folders as organization in any way.

Thanks for making this effort.

BOb
Attached Files
File Type: txt withcard.txt (46.2 KB, 329 views)
File Type: txt withoutcard.txt (43.5 KB, 398 views)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks pilotbob and wallcraft! Kindle support has been completed and enabled in Calibre 0.4.129. All that's left is testing and feature requests.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My Kindle isn't recognized. The attached file is from windows get devices2.
Attached Files
File Type: txt out.txt (5.0 KB, 1093 views)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
user_none

Looks like the Windows device detection code had a small bug in it. This has been fixed. Kovid has released a fixed build. http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/downlo...re-0.4.129.exe Try this and see if it can detect it.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was already on 4.129. I'll go try it again later.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I was already on 4.129. I'll go try it again later.
Kovid put out a new build of 0.4.129 which has fixed (I hope) device detection on Windows.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I downloaded & installed the new build. My Kindle still isn't recognized.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Kindle is not recognized in calibre 4.129 either with or without the SD card installed.

How can I help?

BOb
Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

BTW: What output format is sent to the kindle when you do a send to device? There seems to be no way to set it... output types can still only select EPUB/LRF?

BOb
Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
BTW: What output format is sent to the kindle when you do a send to device? There seems to be no way to set it... output types can still only select EPUB/LRF?

BOb
The GUI doesn't do Mobipocket yet.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The GUI doesn't do Mobipocket yet.
Sure, it doesn't convert. But, I do have .prc files in the calibre library. So, I assume Send To Device for the Kindle would send a format that it supports.

Right, but I forgot the "output" format was for the output of conversions not the output of the Send To Device. But I assume it doubles. If you have a Sony and you send to device and have both .lrf and .epub for the selected ebook, which does it send? I assumed it sent the "output format" setting type.

BOb
Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sure, it doesn't convert. But, I do have .prc files in the calibre library. So, I assume Send To Device for the Kindle would send a format that it supports.

Right, but I forgot the "output" format was for the output of conversions not the output of the Send To Device. But I assume it doubles. If you have a Sony and you send to device and have both .lrf and .epub for the selected ebook, which does it send? I assumed it sent the "output format" setting type.

BOb
The device driver specifies a preference ordering of formats. Once I make the drivers plugins, that will become customizable.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
user_none

Can pilotbob, Nate the great and anyone else who's Kindle isn't being detected run the following commands with the Kindle connected and post the output.

Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.devices.scanner import DeviceScanner; s = DeviceScanner(); s.scan(); print repr(s.devices)"

prs500 info

prs500 df

prs500 books

@pilotbob, When you send to the device it looks at what formats the book is in. Calibre allows you to store multiple formats for the same books. Say you have a book and it has the following formats ebub, prc, and txt. When you send to the device the device driver will report what formats it supports in an ordered list. It goes down the list and the first match it find it sends that version. The Output selection on the upper right of the Window does not deal with sending to the device. It deals primarily with what format to save content downloaded from the internet (news, rss feeds) in.