Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #46
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
P.S. It's possible that newer firmware drains battery more quickly than older ones. Alas, that one's more difficult to measure given there's no battery percentage display on older firmware.
It is not too bad on jailbroken kindles with KUAL and Battery report installed.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #47
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
OK, can I ask a stupid question. Where can you find the battery charge percentage? My new PW4 doesn't show percentage and I can't find anywhere to turn it on. My firmware is 5.10.0.2 and Update Your Kindle is grayed out.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #48
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
OK, can I ask a stupid question. Where can you find the battery charge percentage? My new PW4 doesn't show percentage and I can't find anywhere to turn it on. My firmware is 5.10.0.2 and Update Your Kindle is grayed out.
If your update is grayed out just go to DL manually the update on your computer and put it in the kindle, then you'll be able to update... I think it's the fastest option. Battery percentage shows up when you'll update but it's not the only things added by the update.
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #49
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kript96 View Post
If your update is grayed out just go to DL manually the update on your computer and put it in the kindle, then you'll be able to update... I think it's the fastest option. Battery percentage shows up when you'll update but it's not the only things added by the update.
Thank you for the info. Amazon makes it a bit difficult to find that info in a timely manner. I hadn't fully charged the PW4 when I got it because it showed about 2/3 full charge. I decided to plug it in and found the cable end will NOT fit in the port. However, my old Voyage cable works just fine. Good grief. However, now it is fully charged and I manually installed the update and all is well. Thanks again.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #50
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Thank you for the info. Amazon makes it a bit difficult to find that info in a timely manner. I hadn't fully charged the PW4 when I got it because it showed about 2/3 full charge. I decided to plug it in and found the cable end will NOT fit in the port. However, my old Voyage cable works just fine. Good grief. However, now it is fully charged and I manually installed the update and all is well. Thanks again.
Note, I received an email from Amazon that they had a batch of PW4s with bad cables so just contact them for replacement.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #51
enaid1
enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.enaid1 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPhone
My completely unscientific (ie, haven't kept track of pages read or time spent reading) update is: if you suspect or feel like your battery on the PW4 is worse than on your previous PWs, try turning off Bluetooth. This has seemed to me to make a huge difference. (Ie, have recently read half a book and am only at 82%.) I have no idea why that would make a difference, as I haven't accessed the BT to listen to one of my audiobooks, but give it a go.
enaid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #52
kript96
Enthusiast
kript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animalskript96 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle PW (2018), Kindle Scribe
Wait, how you turn it off? I thought it was automatically off
kript96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #53
C.S.
Enthusiast
C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.C.S. can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
One full month of using the PW4

Launch Day: I started from scratch, importing only a few collection folders. I did not download any old books to be indexed - just one or two that I wanted to read, My first charge was the afternoon I got the device - Wednesday, November 7th. It unplugged it probably shortly after it turned green and the charge showed 96%. Oddly enough, when I started reading that night, it showed 98%.

The first two weeks: I read nonstop every day for several hours, longer than the 30 minutes usually listed by Amazon. I probably read more books than usual during this time.

The second two weeks: I read on and off. In average, this worked out to my normal rate of usage.

Wi-fi was kept off except to download books (which I did almost daily), Bluetooth has never been used, and the light remained at 10. If I ever read in the living room, I'll probably raise it to 14 like I did with the PW2, but that's only for very short bursts.

Tuesday 12/4: The battery dropped to 10% and I got the warning that my Kindle needs to be charged. So, now we know how much % is left when this message is triggered.

Wednesday night 12/5: Oddly enough, the battery was back up to 11%. Still, I charged it for roughly two and a half hours (the light probably turned green before then) to 100%.

So, it looks like I can get roughly a month between charges, which is what I was hoping for. My fears of the terrible battery life that plagues my sister's Oasis (even after a replacement) were thankfully unfounded. I have no idea what the charge time would be like if I kept wi-fi on all the time, as that's something I've never done on any of my Kindles.
C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #54
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kript96 View Post
Wait, how you turn it off? I thought it was automatically off
I believe it will turn itself off after awhile if you do not connect a Bluetooth headset/speaker. But you can turn it off (or on) by tapping the Bluetooth icon in the Settings toolbar.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #55
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Wifi on my kindle pw 1 or 2 (not sure) is horrible with wifi. Otherwise I can read 40 hours over 3 weeks with one charge.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Wifi on my kindle pw 1 or 2 (not sure) is horrible with wifi.
Did you perhaps mean "Battery life is horrible with WiFi"? Yes, WiFi is one of the biggest power drains.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #57
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did you perhaps mean "Battery life is horrible with WiFi"? Yes, WiFi is one of the biggest power drains.
Oops, my bad. Yes, Battery life with wifi is horrible. It seems people leave it on and then complain about battery life. It baffles me.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #58
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Oops, my bad. Yes, Battery life with wifi is horrible. It seems people leave it on and then complain about battery life. It baffles me.
I leave it on, am completely satisfied with battery life. It is not like I have to charge it every couple of days, or even more than once a week. What is to complain about?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #59
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Is someone deleting every posts I make? I just posted here 5 minutes ago and it is gone. Unless there are two threads of the same subject line
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #60
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
One full month of using the PW4

Launch Day: I started from scratch, importing only a few collection folders. I did not download any old books to be indexed - just one or two that I wanted to read, My first charge was the afternoon I got the device - Wednesday, November 7th. It unplugged it probably shortly after it turned green and the charge showed 96%. Oddly enough, when I started reading that night, it showed 98%.

The first two weeks: I read nonstop every day for several hours, longer than the 30 minutes usually listed by Amazon. I probably read more books than usual during this time.

The second two weeks: I read on and off. In average, this worked out to my normal rate of usage.

Wi-fi was kept off except to download books (which I did almost daily), Bluetooth has never been used, and the light remained at 10. If I ever read in the living room, I'll probably raise it to 14 like I did with the PW2, but that's only for very short bursts.

Tuesday 12/4: The battery dropped to 10% and I got the warning that my Kindle needs to be charged. So, now we know how much % is left when this message is triggered.

Wednesday night 12/5: Oddly enough, the battery was back up to 11%. Still, I charged it for roughly two and a half hours (the light probably turned green before then) to 100%.

So, it looks like I can get roughly a month between charges, which is what I was hoping for. My fears of the terrible battery life that plagues my sister's Oasis (even after a replacement) were thankfully unfounded. I have no idea what the charge time would be like if I kept wi-fi on all the time, as that's something I've never done on any of my Kindles.
That's impressive. I don't think mine would last quite that long - it doesn't seem to, but I do the screen brighter than you so that may make the difference. I still need to officially test since I'm still curious.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote