Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 02:57 AM   #1
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

No convert to kepub in 3.34?

I just updated my Calibre to 3.34, and went to convert a book to kepub, only find that the option is not present at all? It was my default conversion format, now there's no "kepub" showing in the list of output formats

Old 11-08-2018, 04:23 AM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Doesn't conversion to kepub require a plugin? Perhaps the update disabled a plugin...

I don't have a kobo so forgive me if I'm wrong.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
Doesn't conversion to kepub require a plugin? Perhaps the update disabled a plugin...

I don't have a kobo so forgive me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the suggestion. After reading your post, I checked my list of installed plugins, and none of them are for kepub output. So either kepub output was built-in to previous versions of Calibre, or 3.34 did not simply break the kepub output plugin, it unistalled it.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre never automatically uninstalls plugins. Simply re-install the plugin. And there were no changes to the plugin loading/installing/running architecture in 3.34
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:43 AM   #5
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre never automatically uninstalls plugins. Simply re-install the plugin. And there were no changes to the plugin loading/installing/running architecture in 3.34
Thanks Kovid. My problem is, I don't know what plugin added this functionality. None of my installed plugins are for kepub output, and searching "all plugins" for "kepub" comes up empty. That's why I assumed it was built-in to Calibre
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 04:43 AM   #6
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
[Conversion Output] KePub Output Plugin

I'm guessing this is what you need.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:43 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It is still working here. For some reason the Kobo related plugins sometimes get uninstalled during an update. Restarting will sometimes it fixes it. Other times you need to reinstall the plugin. I haven't caught it doing this, so I haven't been able to find a reason.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:50 AM   #8
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Now this is very interesting:

When I first started 3.34, there was no "kepub" output option and no kepub output plugin in my list of installed plugins, or in the list of plugins with updates available, and two searches for "kepub" in "all plugins" came up empty.

After Kovid's reply, I plugged in my Kobo, and opened the Kobo utilities plugin, and the "configure this device" tab in the Kobo Touch Extended Driver. After doing that, and restarting Calibre, when I searched my installed plugins, "KePub output" was visible, and was listed as "latest version installed".

When I selected a book to convert, not only was the kepub option back, it was back as the default, which it had been prior to the installation of 3.34. Very curious.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:52 AM   #9
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Thanks David - I must have been composing my last reply as you were sending yours
Old 11-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
When I selected a book to convert, not only was the kepub option back, it was back as the default, which it had been prior to the installation of 3.34. Very curious.
Not that curious.

When a plugin is removed the associated settings are not removed, only the <plugin>.zip is removed. That explains why your settings didn't get lost.

I can't answer why the plugin got removed (or maybe disabled).

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #11
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Not that curious.

When a plugin is removed the associated settings are not removed, only the <plugin>.zip is removed. That explains why your settings didn't get lost.

I can't answer why the plugin got removed (or maybe disabled).

BR
The "very curious" referred to the whole process, from the point of view of this specific semi-evolved simian. Especially the disappearance of the KePub Output Plugin from all lists when I searched for it. Still, all's well that ends well, and if I do end up buying an H2O2 today at least I know Calibre's back at optimal operational configuration for me
Old 11-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
The "very curious" referred to the whole process, from the point of view of this specific semi-evolved simian. Especially the disappearance of the KePub Output Plugin from all lists when I searched for it. Still, all's well that ends well, and if I do end up buying an H2O2 today at least I know Calibre's back at optimal operational configuration for me
I experienced the same after install of 3.34. Sent epub to device but no auto convert to kepub, no manual kepub output format either. Turns out the plugin kobotouchextended had disappeared so had to re-install it. All seems well now.

Last edited by k9reeder; 11-08-2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added output format missing
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #13
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I experienced the same after install of 3.34. Sent epub to device but no auto convert to kepub, no manual kepub output format either. Turns out the plugin kobotouchextended had disappeared so had to re-install it. All seems well now.
Nice to know I'm not alone!

I wonder what it is that causes Calibre updates to occasionally break/uninstall Kobo-related plugins? And why only some updates? Another of life's little mysteries, I guess