Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
ipsofacto
ipsofacto began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Tags rarely happening when downloading metadata

I just updated and I notice that when downloading metadata for books, rarely are tags being included. Used to be tags appeared for almost every book. Now its something like one in every 20 -30.

Also I notice that even when the title and author is correct, I can get an error.
In that case I retry a new search after deleting the title or the author and then I'll get hits

I'm on a windows 7 machine if that matters
ipsofacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What metadata sources are you using. The default ones dont commonly have tags.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be precise, IIRC google sometimes has tags and amazon almost never.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
ipsofacto

I always used whatever the default prefs are. I pretty much use Calibre on a superficial level... making a library and transferring books to my device. I happen to just be noticing that I'm doing a heck of a lot more typing in my own tags for every book than what used to automatically be there on meta searches.

For all I know its the internet's fault or the fault of Amazon, etc, lol.

Also, if you don't mind... I could never understand the 'save to disk' menu items and their purposes.
So I never used the save to disk thing. Whenever I wanted to make backup copies of my Calibre libraries, I would just copy a library folder to another drive where I keep backups.
However, I recall noticing that the size of the original library and the backup copy where different and that a file or two in the original were not in the backup copy I made.
(I'm going from memory because I haven't backed up a library in a long time...I could be wrong)

This had me thinking that maybe the save to disk function behaves similarly to, say, cloning software for making an OS system backup in that you can't just drag and drop that because some system files won't transfer or something. idk.

So long story short. If I want to make a backup copy of a Calibre library, which save to disk menu item should I choose. Or just ignore all the pull down menu items and just click on save to disk itself and that'll do what I'm asking?

Much thanks
Old 09-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you want to backup your books, simply backup the calibre library folder, its a simple folder that can be backed up the same wayyou back up all your other data.
Advert
Old 09-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
ipsofacto

So simple drag and drop works then as for copying any file or folder. I did a test and I see that just clicking on 'save to disk' alone and choosing a destination does what I want as well.
I guess I was always confused by its menu choices and that I had to use one of them and didn't think of ignoring them altogether and just click 'save to disk'. lol

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
To be precise, IIRC google sometimes has tags and amazon almost never.
Kovid,

I have noticed the same drop in tags retrieval success over the last three months roughly. I ran a metadata download JUST for metadata and not covers last week. Took a VERY long time because I added the Fantastic Fiction beta and turned back on the full set of what I had used at various times. That includes Amazon, B&N, Big Book, Goodreads, Google and Open Library. The conversion rate of adding new tags (previously the searched for books had no tags) was abysmal. Something approaching 1 per cent. I wonder if it's a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. But I DID pare back to Amazon and FF (not knowing that it wasn't working) before running the last search. Those settings were no more successful than my 1 percenter, albeit returning the results in something like a twentieth of the time.

As a matter of strategy, moving forward, do you advise stopping depending on downloaded tags? If it's going to fail, might as well go manual and spend the time taken, if not the lesser effort.

Thanks as always, GM

ONE LAST IDEA: If tags ARE retrievable, say from a specific source I'm not using, it would be great if one could do a metadata DL of Just Tags, Just Comments, Just Meta Data, Just Covers or some intelligent combo of the four. I often have comments without tags. I've fooled around trying to deduct tags FROM comments. The results are not horrible, certainly better than 1 per cent. But I wonder if searching for Just Tags might not be something fairly useful.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I can only speak for the builtin sources -- of those only google books has tags and that too not for all books.

And you can tell calibre to download only specific metadata fields via Preferences->metadata download.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:38 AM   #9
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Kovid,

I am well aware of the Preferences. The issue is that I can have Tags, or I can have Comments and the rest of the Metadata (or all of it), but I can't have a button that lets me retrieve just the one of those three. The only recourse is to go into Prefs and say only retrieve tags. Then, after that, go back in and say get everything. The desire is to be able to do with metadata sub-divisions, the same as you provide when I have a button to only get metadata or covers or both when I press Ctrl-D.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #10
ipsofacto

Ah, so I'm not crazy, lol. Yes, definite big fall off in tag retrievals.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
ipsofacto

Another thing that's happening. Even when title and author is correct, am getting an unusual amount of 'no matches found'.

As a matter of fact I'm ready to go nuts. Almost every flipping book is giving me 'no matches found'.

Also wondering... does the title and author need to be so strict in its exactness? I'm pulling my hair out and wasting a lot of time figuring why the heck I get no matches when everything is spelled correctly.
On extended titles... should there be a comma? a dash? a period? a colon? separating anything? Nothing at all?? Follow what the book title uses...oops, that don't work sometimes.

What about books like for example a Volume One? Vol.1? Vol. One? Just 1?? Can be the difference whether a match is found. Drives me nuts, lol

That's why I ask if search criteria can be looser. So no matter how for example, a Vol 1 is denoted, it'll work.

Last edited by ipsofacto; 10-06-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsofacto View Post
Another thing that's happening. Even when title and author is correct, am getting an unusual amount of 'no matches found'.

As a matter of fact I'm ready to go nuts. Almost every flipping book is giving me 'no matches found'.

Also wondering... does the title and author need to be so strict in its exactness? I'm pulling my hair out and wasting a lot of time figuring why the heck I get no matches when everything is spelled correctly.
On extended titles... should there be a comma? a dash? a period? a colon? separating anything? Nothing at all?? Follow what the book title uses...oops, that don't work sometimes.

What about books like for example a Volume One? Vol.1? Vol. One? Just 1?? Can be the difference whether a match is found. Drives me nuts, lol

That's why I ask if search criteria can be looser. So no matter how for example, a Vol 1 is denoted, it'll work.
If an ISBN (identifier) is used, that takes precedence . If it is wrong, then No Match is common (Delete that and try with just the author and title)
To few GOOD metadata sources, limits your chances. As this thread shows: sources can go bad until the source plugin author knows to adjust for site change. Kovid does the built ins when someone pipes up here. If you use a 3rd party Plugin (from the index), make a comment in THAT plugins thread.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #13
ipsofacto

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If an ISBN (identifier) is used, that takes precedence . If it is wrong, then No Match is common (Delete that and try with just the author and title)
To few GOOD metadata sources, limits your chances. As this thread shows: sources can go bad until the source plugin author knows to adjust for site change. Kovid does the built ins when someone pipes up here. If you use a 3rd party Plugin (from the index), make a comment in THAT plugins thread.
Thanks.
I dunno. Probably haven't used Calibre in a number of months but the other day i launched and updated. I'm spending a lot of time typing in tags and trying to type in an authors name or title that'll snag me a match. Is there anyway to go back to some version from around 4-5 months ago?

Aprops to nothing. Like probably many people, I got a s***tload of software, apps. I just want them to work intuitively and yet stuff like Calibre or VLC for example have a literal rats nest of preferences that all interact with each other. VLC used to play everything, now it plays jack and I'm not interested in having to get a PHD in software preferences. Just let me click on something then bloody well work, lol.

I think these programmers. developers are geniuses. I sure as hell can't fathom how they do what they do. But as the end user, I just want these things to do what they say they do in at least just the superficial level I use at. If I open a video file, I don't want to see a blank screen, stuttering audio/video or downloading metadata for a book spend 15 minutes dicking around typing in an authors name or title in a certain way hoping it'll produce results.

Last edited by ipsofacto; 10-06-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsofacto View Post
Is there anyway to go back to some version from around 4-5 months ago?
It was in front of your nose when you downloaded latest calibre

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	166750

All the way back to Oct 2009 !

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
But going BACK too far means the metadata site scraping (and current supported device) is obsolete.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote