Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Doesn't Amazon do something of the same sort with it's suggestions? And I know Smashwords sends out emails about a new release from author x as well. Doesn't makes sense that B&N wouldn't follow suit with something similar.
Yes Amazon do, but you have to “Follow” the author first. I get an email every time an author I follow lists a new book, even if it’s a pre order.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
My local B&N used to have a bunch of chairs where you could sit and read books. Last time I was there they had none.
I went to my local B&N Saturday night. This particular store is still very successful. They are fortunate enough to be attached to a large upscale mall and are directly opposite P.F. Changs and Cheesecake Factory, so people can shop while waiting for a table or directly after dinner.

But even so, when I went in Friday I noticed a few things. Like the other stores, the Nook counter was pulled from the front. The terminals they used to have that allowed customers to look up a book were removed. Finding an employee was tough, noticeably there was nobody stationed in the children's section (which used to be constantly manned when I worked there a few years ago). There also didn't seem to be public Wi-Fi (though they still had a sign up for it, so maybe it was just down when I was there).

Even in this crowded store that seemed to be doing good business (there was a line at the registers) there were signs that things weren't what they used to be. I suppose it could be that I had been reading about B&N's woes and that made me inflate the importance of small things I saw. I dunno.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I went to my local B&N Saturday night. This particular store is still very successful. They are fortunate enough to be attached to a large upscale mall and are directly opposite P.F. Changs and Cheesecake Factory, so people can shop while waiting for a table or directly after dinner.

But even so, when I went in Friday I noticed a few things. Like the other stores, the Nook counter was pulled from the front. The terminals they used to have that allowed customers to look up a book were removed. Finding an employee was tough, noticeably there was nobody stationed in the children's section (which used to be constantly manned when I worked there a few years ago). There also didn't seem to be public Wi-Fi (though they still had a sign up for it, so maybe it was just down when I was there).

Even in this crowded store that seemed to be doing good business (there was a line at the registers) there were signs that things weren't what they used to be. I suppose it could be that I had been reading about B&N's woes and that made me inflate the importance of small things I saw. I dunno.
No, I suspect you were reading the signs correctly. I suspect that what you saw was from the corporate directives to cut cost. Just my guess.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #19
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:

It sounds as if we use the same B and N, I am also in TX, and my B and N is opposite PF Changs and The Cheesecake Factory (there is water nearby, clue).

We love this store and use it as often as possible, I’m trying to prepare my children for the fact that it probably won’t be there too much longer though..., sadly. We're going there today, actually.

I’ve noticed over the past year that this particular store used to have a nice, friendly manager (older, well-dressed man with mustache), who would always smile and ask if I needed help, and the staff would help me if I had too many books to carry ��. He has been gone for six months now, and the store just seems a little disheveled somehow.

It is still a great place to go though, and is really the only reason we ever visit the mall (apart from Urban Outfitters). If it closed, I doubt we would ever go to the mall....

This time last year there were pictures of the glow light 3 everywhere and the stand was at the door, I think the stand is still there, but toward the back.

It has a superb vinyl section. I hope the store survives in some shape or form, but I know it’s unlikely...
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
... The terminals they used to have that allowed customers to look up a book were removed. ...
I noticed that in my local Barnes & Noble as well. I thought maybe I was remembering wrong. (I needed it because I was trying to look up a book for my son. Finally found an employee to help.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
It sounds as if we use the same B and N, I am also in TX, and my B and N is opposite PF Changs and The Cheesecake Factory (there is water nearby, clue).
Yep. Same/same. I was going to just blab the location, but then thought maybe you didn't want that

Quote:
We love this store and use it as often as possible, I’m trying to prepare my children for the fact that it probably won’t be there too much longer though..., sadly. We're going there today, actually.
Since I've moved to ebooks, paper books have lost their appeal. Hanging around in B&N is still pleasurable, but I figure they may not appreciate me taking up space, when I'm not buying anything, so I rarely go there now.

But, like you I went in this weekend with the thought in my head that the store may not be around too much longer. A shame, as this location seems to do just fine. But if the business goes, this one store can't stand on its own.

By the way, I really miss the Borders in the next shopping center. I rarely go to Market Street any longer since Borders is gone.

Quote:
I’ve noticed over the past year that this particular store used to have a nice, friendly manager (older, well-dressed man with mustache), who would always smile and ask if I needed help, and the staff would help me if I had too many books to carry ��. He has been gone for six months now, and the store just seems a little disheveled somehow.
It's also likely partly due to B&N canning all their full-time/long term staff. That should have been the last straw with B&N and me, but with the collapse of Borders and most other local book shops closing, there's not much choice.

Quote:
It is still a great place to go though, and is really the only reason we ever visit the mall (apart from Urban Outfitters). If it closed, I doubt we would ever go to the mall....

This time last year there were pictures of the glow light 3 everywhere and the stand was at the door, I think the stand is still there, but toward the back.

It has a superb vinyl section. I hope the store survives in some shape or form, but I know it’s unlikely...
The Nook could have been their saving grace. They were really competing with the Kindle up through the Nook ST with Glowlight. They just seemed to drop the ball after that and wrote off e-books. A shame.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #22
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Yep. Same/same. I was going to just blab the location, but then thought maybe you didn't want that

Since I've moved to ebooks, paper books have lost their appeal. Hanging around in B&N is still pleasurable, but I figure they may not appreciate me taking up space, when I'm not buying anything, so I rarely go there now.

But, like you I went in this weekend with the thought in my head that the store may not be around too much longer. A shame, as this location seems to do just fine. But if the business goes, this one store can't stand on its own.

By the way, I really miss the Borders in the next shopping center. I rarely go to Market Street any longer since Borders is gone.

It's also likely partly due to B&N canning all their full-time/long term staff. That should have been the last straw with B&N and me, but with the collapse of Borders and most other local book shops closing, there's not much choice.

Nice to know we are in the same place.

Just back from this B and N and it was packed with people, plus many children in the kids section as it’s a holiday today. There was a really great atmosphere. I wish they could keep this particular store open somehow. The bargain bins for 75% items all over the place downstairs don’t give it a premium feel though. I go there for each birthday in our family and buy books, toys, board games, dvds, records. We really are trying to keep it going.

The Borders was already gone by the time we moved here, we use Market Street for Starbucks and the cinema and that’s it really. It’s a nice place to wander around, but I’m not interested in fancy jewelry stores.

It’s funny to think the large book store used to be the bad guy (like in the film You’ve Got Mail), and now it is the underdog and almost on the way out. All in the space of twenty years...
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
It’s funny to think the large book store used to be the bad guy (like in the film You’ve Got Mail), and now it is the underdog and almost on the way out. All in the space of twenty years...
Yeah, I think that whenever I hear of the rise of indie bookstores. Maybe that's true if you live in a hipster paradise like New York, Seattle or San Francisco, but for most of us, it's Barnes and Noble or nothing.

If B&N and Borders hadn't stomped the little bookstores, how many would still be around, I wonder?
Old 10-09-2018, 02:43 AM   #24
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I haven't been in my local B&N store in more than a year. Instead, I buy my books at B&N online, and I buy a lot of books for myself, all hardcover (I currently have 43 on preorder). Every month I also buy several books for each of my grandchildren. Each grandchild gets her own set of books. B&N ships them directly to the grandchild. I spend about $100 a month on the children's books (I also only buy hardcovers for them).

But yesterday my wife and I had to go to a small village about 15 miles north of us to take our oldest dog to our vet. Turned out we had to "kill" an hour while the vet treated the dog, so we walked to the local indie bookstore thinking it a good place to pass time. This bookstore does a lot of events; the monthly calendar barely has an event-free day. However, the bookstore does discourage people from sitting and reading -- only in the children's area are there chairs and tables, all kid size.

As it turned out, going to the bookstore was a financial "mistake." I spent $400 on children's books. Our area has a lot of children's book authors and illustrators so the local bookstore carries a lot of autographed children's books, which versions are not available at B&N (the books are, but not with autographs). That is one way in which indies remain alive -- offering something that neither B&N nor Amazon can offer, such as the autographed books. I admit I wouldn't have spent the $400 except that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy the grandchildren autographed copies.

Had I been able to buy the books autographed at B&N or Amazon, I would probably have reduced my costs by at least $70 as both B&N and Amazon discount, whereas I paid full list price for each book at the indie.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I have always hated shopping at B&N. It's like the Disney version of what a bookstore should be. When it's gone, the world will keep on spinning and orbiting the sun.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I have always hated shopping at B&N. It's like the Disney version of what a bookstore should be. When it's gone, the world will keep on spinning and orbiting the sun.
I get what you're saying. They aren't nirvana, but for many of us, once B&N is gone that will leave zero book stores. I read ebooks, but I will miss book stores.

There are two major shopping centers where I live. One has B&N, the other had Borders. Since Borders closed, I never go to the other shopping center.

Who knows, maybe once B&N closes, small mall bookstores will open again. I'm not counting on it, but it's a nice, hopeful thought.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #27
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
I get what you're saying. They aren't nirvana, but for many of us, once B&N is gone that will leave zero book stores. I read ebooks, but I will miss book stores.

There are two major shopping centers where I live. One has B&N, the other had Borders. Since Borders closed, I never go to the other shopping center.

Who knows, maybe once B&N closes, small mall bookstores will open again. I'm not counting on it, but it's a nice, hopeful thought.
More likely that Wallmart and, maybe HEB, will take up the slack in Texas. (HEB, alone, is worth a trip to Texas)

In Illinois, particularly in the Chicago area, it will be a wasteland aside from Walmart. In central and southern areas of Illinois where they haven't gotten the 'books are dead' message, maybe. Some of those places never HAD a B&N!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
More likely that Wallmart and, maybe HEB, will take up the slack in Texas. (HEB, alone, is worth a trip to Texas)
In my local Walmarts and HEBs, the book and magazine section has been steadily shrinking.

(The first time I went to HEB, my account showed a debit from HE Butts. I thought my account had been compromised! Their charges now show up as H-E-B)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I always liked going to Barnes & Noble — of course I liked going into book stores in general. Unfortunately the "local" B&N isn't that local, so I don't see it much. I'll miss them if they go away. (But I still miss Wooworth's and Montgomery Ward, too.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #30
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The closest B&N to me is 90 miles. I too used to enjoy visiting B&N when ever I traveled. Now I do not bother since they seem more like a toy store than a book store. If B&N's and BAM's Science Fiction sections shrink any more you may need GPS to find them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote