Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
Marking books as read

Is there a way to mark a book as read in Calibre and have that information transfer over to Calibre Companion when I sync the two?

I would like to have my unread books as a separate group in CC to act as my TBR list.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
See our FAQ category Marking books read and syncing that information with calibre
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That page appears to discuss how to mark a book as read in CC and syncing that information to Calibre.

I want to mark it as read in Calibre and sync it to CC.

Is that possible? Did that page you directed me to discuss that and I missed it?

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
That page appears to discuss how to mark a book as read in CC and syncing that information to Calibre.

I want to mark it as read in Calibre and sync it to CC.

Is that possible? Did that page you directed me to discuss that and I missed it?

Thank you for your assistance.
Yes, you missed it. The FAQ Can I synchronize CC's Read and Date Read information with calibre? discusses how to set up a calibre Yes/No column and Date column that will sync with CC. The information in calibre will sync to CC. If you wish you can mark books read in CC and sync that back to calibre, but there is no requirement that you do so.

If you *really never* want to sync information back from CC to calibre then there is even less to do. All you need to do is define the information in calibre custon columns then tell CC to show that information in the grouping drawer. See How do I add my custom columns to the Grouping drawer?
Old 09-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Sync is Sync

If you update Calibre, the next CC connect as Wireless w/sync, will suck the current metadata from Calibre. Done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Jean
Zealot

Thank you both. I'll see if I can get it to work.

(And you are correct - sync is sync. Obviously my brain isn't working to well today.)

Last edited by Jean; 09-08-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
Jean
Zealot

It Worked! Thank you. I've been struggling with this for a couple days now. It was so easy once I had the step by step instructions to follow.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is real easy to over think: What I want is complicated, therefor it must be difficult.
Enter Kovid and Chaley. They take care of the Complicated part
Old 11-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #9
ralfpeter
ralfpeter began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I mark a book as Read in cc? I connect to calibre library via cloud (dropbox).
I can see the Read column (when set to Yes) that I created in calibre, but I do not know how to change it (and I don't see it if it is not set to yes). I attached a sample picture of what I think is the book details page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181124-170625_CC Demo.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	167976  

Last edited by ralfpeter; 11-24-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: tried to fix link to picture
ralfpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfpeter View Post
How do I mark a book as Read in cc? I connect to calibre library via cloud (dropbox).
I can see the Read column (when set to Yes) that I created in calibre, but I do not know how to change it (and I don't see it if it is not set to yes). I attached a sample picture of what I think is the book details page.
You only get to mark books 'Read', if they are on your device. (The Download choice gave me a clue) AND you are not connected to Calibre at the time (offline).
Old 11-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
ralfpeter

Thank you! I was able to mark it read after disconnecting and downloading.

Now how do I sync it back to the Calibre library? I have created a manual read column but I don't get any choice to map it. See screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181124-204028_CC Demo.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	167979  
Old 11-25-2018, 05:04 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now how do I sync it back to the Calibre library? I have created a manual read column but I don't get any choice to map it. See screen shot.
Syncing read information back to calibre works only over the Wireless Device Connection. The first time you connect as a wireless device, calibre gives CC the information on custom columns required to tell CC which columns to use. From them on, connecting as a wireless device will send the information to calibre.

The FAQ Can I synchronize CC's Read and Date Read information with calibre? provides instructions. There are several answers in the FAQ category Questions in Marking books read and syncing that information with calibre.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
ralfpeter

thanks. It would be nice if I could edit some metadata fields directly within cc, when storing the library on the cloud (and without requiring me to download the book). Cloud storage seems to be the best solution (rather than having to have the PC up all the time running content server and dealing with opening ports etc). But I did read a post from you from 2016 indicating that not many people seem to use cloud. I actually got a dropbox account just for that purpose (normally use google drive). Seems to make sense to be able to update the library form multiple clients and esp to support updates from mobile clients.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
thanks. It would be nice if I could edit some metadata fields directly within cc, when storing the library on the cloud (and without requiring me to download the book). Cloud storage seems to be the best solution (rather than having to have the PC up all the time running content server and dealing with opening ports etc). But I did read a post from you from 2016 indicating that not many people seem to use cloud. I actually got a dropbox account just for that purpose (normally use google drive). Seems to make sense to be able to update the library form multiple clients and esp to support updates from mobile clients.
Editing metadata on the cloud copy is very hard. One cannot directly change the calibre database in the cloud, so it must be downloaded then re-uploaded. Anything that happens in the cloud between the download and upload would be lost, possibly including books. There are other calibre-friendly cloud apps, and to my knowledge none of them have tried to solve this problem.

You can use the cloud as your day-to-day solution, then use the wireless device when convenient to sync the read information back to calibre.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #15
ralfpeter

OK. Maybe you could find a way to lock the library when Calibre is open unlock it when it is closed. Mobile write access would only work if library is not locked.