Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2018, 01:58 AM   #1
Phung
Phung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Dasung Paperlike HD, an amazing device

This is only a short review of the newest model, the Dasung Paperlike HD, an e-ink monitor from a Chinese company. I hope someone 'd post a full video review for this monitor. I will not include any picture here, sorry for my laziness.

I have been using e-ink devices for more than 6 years, but never for an e-ink monitor. I love the idea to surf internet, read documents and even play videos on an e-ink device. This is the first time I ever experience an e-ink monitor.

Price and shipment: I bought this device via Dasung webpage, not from Indiegogo. It cost 1400 AUD ~ 1000 USD. I had to work 70 hours as a cleaner to earn enough money for this thing. I ordered it on 5 Jun and expected to receive the monitor in July since the company advertised to ship it in July. At the end of July, after sending an email to the company, they confirmed to ship 2 weeks later with the reason "the product is still in production". On 15 August, I sent them an email again to ask for the exact shipping date since I couldn't wait any longer. After 4 days, they sent me the tracking number. The product was shipped by air, and it only took 4 days to arrive my house from China. According to Australia's laws, if a product imported to Australia costs more than 1000 AUD then the buyer should pay extra tax for that. However, Dasung company declared its value only 99$, so I didn't have to pay any duty. I believe that the company also does the same to any customers. It's great.

The experience: It has been working magnificently. It is everything that I want to have so far. The screen is big enough to read documents, typing, surfing webs. The company wrote that they don't suggest to use it for watching videos since it would reduce its lifespan. It's just for working such as coding, typing, reading. I have seen one video on youtube reviewing this device, wish there are more. I believe the screen is matte, not glossy. There is no glare whatsoever.

Some comment: I think this is a great product for anyone who is seeking an e-ink device for working. The only concern is its life expectancy. I wish it can last for more than 5 years.

Last edited by Phung; 08-31-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:26 AM   #2
-Lesnikus-
-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Thanks for the review!
I'm going to buy this monitor. But first I want to make sure whether Paperlike 3 is not slower than Paperlike Pro. I mean the frame rate and the input lag. If you're record a video, please show both the LCD display and Paperlike in duplicate mode and play some video. Both monitors should be visible simultaneously. So we can estimate the difference in the input delay. A few questions:
1. Do need a drivers?
2. Why did you order through the site Dasung, not the Indiegogo?? It's so much more expensive.
3. Delivery for 4 days is very fast. Have you used any transport company?

Last edited by -Lesnikus-; 08-31-2018 at 09:30 AM.
-Lesnikus- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Phung
Phung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with othersPhung plays well with others

I don't have the Paperlike pro but I am sure one year later Dasung would make a new model that is faster than Dasung HD. If you 'd like to buy a device that works great for working then you can buy Dasung HD or wait for the next model.

I think you don't need to install any thing, but it may be better to install the driver provided by the company. I did install the driver.

I bought the product via their webpage since they claimed to ship the product quicker compared to that if you order on Indiegogo. When you paid via their webpage, the money goes straight to Dasung company, not Indiegogo.

I didn't use or propose any transport option, Dasung company did it by itself.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Crystal79
Crystal79 began at the beginning.

Device: none
It can use extend mode in Windows OS?

Hello, I would like to ask that Dasung Paperlike HD can use extend mode in Windows OS?

Thank you very much.
Crystal79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
Phung

Sorry, I am using Mac OS. You can ask the company, but as far as I know it works much better with Windows system. One thing you should learn from making contact with the company via email is that it may take more than 2 days for a reply. Be patient.
Advert
Old 09-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
-Lesnikus-
-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phung View Post
I didn't use or propose any transport option, Dasung company did it by itself.
Thanks for answers!

It's surprising to me that you did not use courier service and had such a fast delivery. 4 days for delivery is a common practice for the postal service of your country? In my country, the parcels go for 3-4 weeks.

How well was the package packed? How many layers of cardboard / cellophane? I have the opportunity to make delivery through an intermediary, which can package the parcel very reliably, is it worth it?

Last edited by -Lesnikus-; 09-01-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
-Lesnikus-

Quote:
I hope someone 'd post a full video review for this monitor. I will not include any picture here, sorry for my laziness.
Excuse me, but can you still shoot the video I was talking about? You really could help me a lot. I'm not talking about a full review. Any video quality, any duration, even 10 seconds, taken on a smartphone, this is enough. Capture the standing Dasung and ordinary LCD in duplicate mode and play some video to see the difference in the delay between them. Both monitors should be in the frame to estimate the delay of the mouse cursor and the image compared to the LCD. I really want to buy this monitor right now, but I want to know how slow it is. Unfortunately, no one has published such a video yet. Please, you would very much help me to make a choice.
The delay at the Paperlike Pro is about 200 milliseconds. What delay to Papelike 3 (HD) is what I want to find out. There are official videos, like this, but I can not trust them:

Last edited by -Lesnikus-; 09-03-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
Phung

I think you should spend 1000$ for something else since you didn't trust the product in the first place. Let's think about this. How many customers have bought this screen so far? This is the third model. Do you see many complaining about this? Before buying this, I did much in search of about customers review. I claim that this monior is the best for reading and typing. But if you are looking for a gaming screen, I think it's not.

Last edited by Phung; 09-03-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
-Lesnikus-

Quote:
I think you should spend 1000$ for something else since you didn't trust the product in the first place. Let's think about this.
I never trust the commercials of any company, no matter how many products they have released. Now there is a choice - buy a Paperlike Pro or Paperlike 3 (HD). And I want to choose the best version. According to my calculations, the Paperlike Pro has a input lag of about 100-200 ms, so I will not worry if I select this version of the monitor. On YouTube we have enough video from users to measure the delay yourself. Paperlike 3 (HD) has a higher resolution than the Pro, but there is a possibility that it is slower. I watched Onyx Boox Max 2, which uses the same matrix as Paperlike 3 (HD), and it works much slower in monitor mode than the Pro- input lag of 200-300 ms versus 100-200 msec. I'm afraid that Paperlike 3 (HD) has the same high input lag, because the matrices are the same. The price, the resolution, do not matter. Therefore, I am suffering, not knowing what to choose.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #10
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lesnikus- View Post
I never trust the commercials of any company, no matter how many products they have released. Now there is a choice - buy a Paperlike Pro or Paperlike 3 (HD). And I want to choose the best version. According to my calculations, the Paperlike Pro has a input lag of about 100-200 ms, so I will not worry if I select this version of the monitor. On YouTube we have enough video from users to measure the delay yourself. Paperlike 3 (HD) has a higher resolution than the Pro, but there is a possibility that it is slower. I watched Onyx Boox Max 2, which uses the same matrix as Paperlike 3 (HD), and it works much slower in monitor mode than the Pro- input lag of 200-300 ms versus 100-200 msec. I'm afraid that Paperlike 3 (HD) has the same high input lag, because the matrices are the same. The price, the resolution, do not matter. Therefore, I am suffering, not knowing what to choose.
There are some videos on youtube of Paperlike HD from Japan, uploaded 5 days ago. Have you seen them?

Last edited by viceant; 09-05-2018 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Complete
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:58 AM   #11
-Lesnikus-

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
There are some videos on youtube of Paperlike HD from Japan, uploaded 5 days ago. Have you seen them?
Yes, but this videos is not sufficiently informative. I would like something like this:

Old 09-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #12
kamerek
Enthusiast
kamerek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG fw 3.3 SN B009
why there is feature of ANTI BLUE LIGHT? in Dasung description?>

eink has no backlight , no led

Can anyone explain?

Last edited by kamerek; 09-09-2018 at 07:32 AM.
kamerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamerek View Post
why there is feature of ANTI BLUE LIGHT? in Dasung description?>

eink has no backlight , no led

Can anyone explain?
It has a frontlight read about Blue-light exposure on our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #14
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Wait.... That monitor have a frontlight? I dont think so, otherwise it would be the first 13" device with light, or at least the first where it works homogenilly (I dont know how to write this word correcrly...).
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:15 AM   #15
-Lesnikus-

Why do you need frontlight? To buy an E-ink monitor, the main advantage of which is the absence of poisonous light from the LEDs or CCFL, then to ask developers to screw the poisonous frontlight to this monitor? If you do not have eyes hurting from LEDs and CCFL, halogen and other eye-damaging lamps, then you better look for a standart good LCD monitor.

This is my opinion based on personal experience. Any artificial light, whether in a monitor or a chandelier, causes eye fatigue. Only incandescent lamps and natural daylight do not cause pain in the eyes.

In addition to harming the LED, there is a second factor. E-Ink does not need frontlight, since it creates uneven lighting with the surrounding space (room) and this can be one of the factors causing pain in the eyes. It is better to install good lighting above the workplace. Better yet, work during the day and use natural daylight. The backlight will only lead to a rise in the price of the monitor and dubious functionality.

By the way, Dasung Papererlike do not have frontlight.
------
It is important that in the future, Dasung increased the display size to 17-19 inches, increased the frame rate to at least 8 fps (the physical limit for E-ink) and reduced the input lag as much as possible. This is my waiting list.

Last edited by -Lesnikus-; 09-30-2018 at 06:22 AM.