Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Unknown Translator, and copyright dates.

I would like to start work on a book for the MR library by Emil Zola called in French La Curee, and usually known in English as The Kill, but also called The Rush for the Spoil.

The Rush for the Spoil was published by Vizetelly and Co. in 1886, and has a Preface by George Moore (1852-1933) who spoke French and was a friend of Zola. But there is no mention in the book of who translated it.

All the three Vizetellys (who usually translated Zola's books) died well before 1947, and it is hard to believe that anyone else who might have translated it in 1886 lived until 1947. Can I get away with 'Translator unknown' and giving the dates?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 03:56 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
"In the case that the author is anonymous or pseudonymous the term for a work is 70 years from the date of first lawful publication" [wiki]

For all practical purposes (in my opinion, at least), a translator that cannot be identified is anonymous, and one for whom no biographical data can be found is pseudonymous. So, in absence of reliable information, we just take publication date + 70 years. Even if the book had been published in 1946, we would allow it. If more data becomes available, we can change the status, of course.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks. As it happens the further I get into the book the less I like it, so I've decided not to complete it.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote