Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
laksathish
laksathish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.4.3, iPad3
EPUB 3 multi column text reading order across pages for epub

Hi all

I am creating multi column epub3 free-layout. My multicolumn div running text across multiple pages, it works fine. My problem column reading order, the column 1 text flows across 4 pages then then second column starts in 1st page.

The wrong reading order i am getting now in IPad I-books

Page 1
text flow point 1 text flow point 7
text flow point 2 text flow point 7
text flow point 3 text flow point 8

Page 2
text flow point 3 text flow point 9
text flow point 4 text flow point 10
text flow point 5 text flow point 11

Page 3
text flow point 6 text flow point 12
text flow point 7 text flow point 13

Can anyone know how to fix this issue

Thanks in advance
laksathish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
What should it look like?
Can you post the html/css - it would be easier than trying to guess
the result your are trying to achieve.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
laksathish

hi Thanks,

Please see the screenshot, where you can find the content sequence is flow into next page and not within the page.

Also attached CSS/html coding for reference.

THanks in advance.

SathishClick image for larger version

Name:	Photo.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	553.0 KB
ID:	112471

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_1.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	590.3 KB
ID:	112472

test_copy.epub
Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by laksathish View Post
hi Thanks,

Please see the screenshot, where you can find the content sequence is flow into next page and not within the page.

Also attached CSS/html coding for reference.

THanks in advance.

SathishAttachment 112471

Attachment 112472

Attachment 112473
EDIT: THE STEP 4 WAS MODIFIED; NOW IS CORRECT

Hi laksathish;

The problem with your design is that you don't have set a "height" for the page Since you use inline styles, do the following:

1. Open your test_copy.epub in Sigil
2. Select the text.xhtml page
3. Active the "code view" mode
4. Replace the tag

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
with

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" style="height: 500px">
Also do the same with <body>, replace it with

Code:
<body style="height: 500px">
Finally, change the properties for the div.mcol selector to these ones:

Code:
div.mcol {
  height: 500px;
  -webkit-column-count: 2;
  -webkit-column-width: 45%;
  -webkit-column-gap: 10%;
}
Maybe instead of 500px you can use 520px or even more, I don't know exactly what is the number you must use since I don't have an iPad. But in Sigil looks fine

Try this code and tell us your results.

Regards
Rubén

EDIT: Also you can use the property "-webkit-column-break-after: avoid;" with "h" tags to maintain headers together with the text below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MultiColum.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	112494  
Attached Files
File Type: epub test_copy.epub (2.0 KB, 565 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 10-03-2013 at 11:41 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
laksathish

hi,

Thanks, actually it is working fine in any browser or sigil, but not displaying in iPad as showing in the browser view.

Could some one help me on this with your experience.

Thanks,
Sathish
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laksathish View Post
hi,

Thanks, actually it is working fine in any browser or sigil, but not displaying in iPad as showing in the browser view.

Could some one help me on this with your experience.

Thanks,
Sathish
Hi Sathish;

Please, try the new "test_copy.epub" I have uploaded in my previous post. I edited it and now is correct; maybe this time things can work (let's hope so )
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Syniurge
Enthusiast
Syniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
-webkit-column-count
That only works with Sigil, Calibre, Chrome and other Webkit-based apps.

For EPUB 3 the correct way is to use the CSS 3 properties column-count, column-width, etc.

Also you can use either column-count or column-width, the first one if you want a fixed number of columns no matter the size of the screen/window and the second one (without column-count) if you want the number to vary and fit the width of the screen, but its value should be in em or ex rather than %. The second one is better if you want your epub to remain readable on small readers

Last edited by Syniurge; 10-04-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Syniurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syniurge View Post
That only works with Sigil, Calibre, Chrome and other Webkit-based apps.
He want the multi-column layout for iPad, a webkit based device.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
I face same issue i.e. columns are continue on next page instead of break. Also the "test_copy.epub" show same result as in the screen from Satish but to be honest I am using Kobo Aura One.

At the end I like to see two columns vertical page by page.
Currently the columns either flow to next page or too many columns side by side which leads into loosing text.

I have no clue about CSS. But after reading a lot in this forum I put additional CSS information in Calibre as follows:
p,div,span,body{margin: 0;}
p,div,span,body{-epub-writing-mode: vertical-rl;}
body{height: 1400px; width: 1000px; -webkit-column-count: 2; -webkit-column-width: 45%;-webkit-column-gap: 10%;}

- vertical without columns is perfect
- columns with or without vertical are not proper
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:22 AM   #10
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
I made some test, some times ago, and I see the e-reader APP support for columns in multiple pages and reflow is bad, bad, bad.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:27 AM   #11
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katja_hbg View Post
I face same issue i.e. columns are continue on next page instead of break. Also the "test_copy.epub" show same result as in the screen from Satish but to be honest I am using Kobo Aura One.

At the end I like to see two columns vertical page by page.
Currently the columns either flow to next page or too many columns side by side which leads into loosing text.

I have no clue about CSS. But after reading a lot in this forum I put additional CSS information in Calibre as follows:
p,div,span,body{margin: 0;}
p,div,span,body{-epub-writing-mode: vertical-rl;}
body{height: 1400px; width: 1000px; -webkit-column-count: 2; -webkit-column-width: 45%;-webkit-column-gap: 10%;}

- vertical without columns is perfect
- columns with or without vertical are not proper
The issue of the OP was with an epub3 and you, in Kobo, are working with an epub2 ebook, so "-webkit-column-count" won't work. Try using .kepub instead of .epub.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
The issue of the OP was with an epub3 and you, in Kobo, are working with an epub2 ebook, so "-webkit-column-count" won't work. Try using .kepub instead of .epub.
The extension should be ".kepub.epub".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
Katja_hbg
Groupie
Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.Katja_hbg can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
Sorry to miss to mention that.
On calibre I use additionl css and convert to epub. But while sending they are changed i.e. on my kobo are kepub.epub.
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:18 AM   #14
AlanNL
AlanNL began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo hd
How can this be made functional on the kobo glo?
AlanNL is offline   Reply With Quote