Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 03:43 AM   #301
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Aside from the inconvenience, the thing that bothers me is if something gets screwed up in the conversion I don't know the proper way to get back to the original epub. If I delete the new epub I still have the old one but it now has a different file extension and I don't think it can be used for anything as is. I wouldn't dare just go in and change the file extension with file explorer because I don't know if it would mess up Calibre.
You can use Calibre's Modify Epub plugin with Insert or replace cover checked and then keep the original file (shows as ORIGINAL_EPUB format) until you are happy and then bulk delete the ORIGINAL_EPUB files. If the book is messed up, I copy the original_epub to a temp directory and rename it, delete the epub and original_epub in Calibre (not removing the book but removing files of a specific format) which leaves the metadata and cover image and then drop the renamed file on the details view (on top of the cover image works for me) to place it back in the library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #302
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
This is not caused by your GlowLight 3. The same thing was happening to me when I was trying to organize my Simple Touch this afternoon. I've never had issues like this before on the device. I also lost touch with my library when logged in to B&N's website — so there's something not right on B&N's site. I don't know if this fact makes it a better or worse problem, but it's definitely not your device. Hopefully B&N gets this straightened out pretty soon.
In my case the wifi was off, also, I've had NOOKs do this before. So probably my device. But both could be true.

The NOOKs are very stable - once you get everything sideloaded and shelved.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #303
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
The NOOKs are very stable - once you get everything sideloaded and shelved.
I will agree Nooks are very stable. I've not had any show stoppers with the Nook ST in the years I've had it.

The only cover related problem I've seen with the Nook is that if I replace the cover on Calibre (by replacing it in my library) the new cover will appear on my Kobo but not on the Nook.

To be fair, this is because the ePub hasn't been edited and the Kobo plug-in handles it for me. So I'm spoiled by it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #304
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The only cover related problem I've seen with the Nook is that if I replace the cover on Calibre (by replacing it in my library) the new cover will appear on my Kobo but not on the Nook.
NOOKS seems to look for a cover file actually named "cover.jpg." If you rename the image file to "cover" the NOOK should pick it up for a thumbnail.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #305
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can use Calibre's Modify Epub plugin with Insert or replace cover checked and then keep the original file (shows as ORIGINAL_EPUB format) until you are happy and then bulk delete the ORIGINAL_EPUB files. If the book is messed up, I copy the original_epub to a temp directory and rename it, delete the epub and original_epub in Calibre (not removing the book but removing files of a specific format) which leaves the metadata and cover image and then drop the renamed file on the details view (on top of the cover image works for me) to place it back in the library.

I have a lot to learn about Calibre. I just went into the edit metadata screen for one of the books I did the epub to epub conversion on and deleted my new epub. Then I wasn't sure if I could somehow copy the original epub from there to a temp folder or if I had to do it with file explorer so I tried right clicking on it and there was an option to "restore epub from the original". It seemed to work fine.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #306
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
NOOKS seems to look for a cover file actually named "cover.jpg." If you rename the image file to "cover" the NOOK should pick it up for a thumbnail.
Oh, yeah. I'm just too lazy to edit all the ePubs on the Nook already

If Nook used the cover as a screensaver the way the Kobo does, I'd be more likely to be concerned about it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #307
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post

I have a lot to learn about Calibre. I just went into the edit metadata screen for one of the books I did the epub to epub conversion on and deleted my new epub. Then I wasn't sure if I could somehow copy the original epub from there to a temp folder or if I had to do it with file explorer so I tried right clicking on it and there was an option to "restore epub from the original". It seemed to work fine.
I tend not to use epub to epub conversion since I prefer the results from the Modify Epub plugin for removing unused spans and smartening punctuation before I edit the epub. For editing, I prefer to use Sigil instead of calibre's builtin editor for most purposes. Each to his own taste.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #308
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tend not to use epub to epub conversion since I prefer the results from the Modify Epub plugin for removing unused spans and smartening punctuation before I edit the epub. For editing, I prefer to use Sigil instead of calibre's builtin editor for most purposes. Each to his own taste.
Missing covers or thumbnails or book descriptions bother me a lot so I at least try to get those fixed but I've never done any real editing of my books.

At least 3/4 of my books are mysteries anyway and I don't want to accidentally see too much of a book before I read it; after I read it I don't much care. If it looks pretty sitting on the shelf that's good enough for me.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #309
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

By the way, the NOOK Glowlight 3 is the same width as earlier NOOKs but just a bit taller. This means most covers from the Simple Touch era won't fit the new device, but I do have one with elastic corners and a zipper closure that I've been able to use.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #310
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Got mine last night! Charged it, signed in, and let it update. Really pleased so far. The screen is very crisp. The light and night light look nice. And, oooh, it's wonderful to hold!

I don't think I'll mess around with rooting it yet. I may put Pocket on there. I use that a lot on my Kobo for reading online short fiction.

Gonna go put my next read on there and settle in!
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #311
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Finally achieved my goal.

I found an rss reader that is properly formatted for eink use.
reabble.com
(You have to create an account at inoreader, and configure your feeds there.)
He actually did it for the Kindle, but I won't hold that against him.

Anyway, with NovaLauncher, I'm all set.
I can read my books, and get my updated news.

Now if only there were better news to read!
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #312
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Finally achieved my goal.

I found an rss reader that is properly formatted for eink use.
reabble.com
(You have to create an account at inoreader, and configure your feeds there.)
He actually did it for the Kindle, but I won't hold that against him.

Anyway, with NovaLauncher, I'm all set.
I can read my books, and get my updated news.

Now if only there were better news to read!
Hmmm...that site looks interesting, but I can't see how to create an account?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #313
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
GBM (above) has nearly 1,400 books on 905 MBs on his NST.
What I was proving is that 3,000 eBooks will not fit in 1GB. Also, the size of eBook vary and eBooks these days do sometimes have a high-res cover as well as a high-res title page. Plus, if there are other graphics, the size is not that small. Add in embedded fonts and the size goes up. So really, you cannot say X amount of eBooks fit in 1GB with such a high number. You may get a decent amount and you may not. It's a crap shoot.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-16-2017 at 11:43 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #314
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The new Leonardo da Vinci ePub by Walter Isaacson is 450.5MB. Hillary Clinton's new book is 84.4MB. Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings is 11.4MB. ePub at the size of 4MB only 256 will fit.

So given that a ePub vary in size depending on the content, you the 3,000 number is not going to happen. to get 1,000 eBooks to fit in 1GB, they would have to be an average of 1MB.

So really 1GB could be enough or it could not be enough. You just won't know until you check out eBooks you want to side load and how lard they are as a group.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #315
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

After-market cases for the Glowlight 3 are on the way.

https://www.amazon.com/i-UniK-Barnes...light%2B3&th=1