Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #16
FencepostErr1r
Enthusiast
FencepostErr1r began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
None of the used characters belong to me.

//EDIT: I am not using the FFDL plugin. My Kobo FW is 3.5.0 (1ad1188b51, 7/9/14).

-FencepostErr1r

Last edited by FencepostErr1r; 08-24-2014 at 06:41 AM.
FencepostErr1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Using the automatic fix in the calibre editor, adds an open and close i tag inside each paragraph until the end of the document. I'd expect a conversion to do the same thing. Sigil also does the same thing if you let if fix the error.

To my mind, both of those would over do it. I would have thought to put the closing tag just before next closing tag that keeps the nesting correct. For your test cases, that would mean at the end of that paragraph. But, the way the editor does it is correct if there is a matching close paragraph further down the document. I have had a few cases like this.

I don't think this is something that an automatic solution good for. You can use the tools to find the errors. Then you need to look at the text to decide where the closing tag goes. If it is at the beginning of the paragraph, it probably goes at the end. But, if it is immediately after an open quote, then it probably needs to go somewhere before the closing quote.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #18
FencepostErr1r
Enthusiast

Hm, I'll stop my investigations into this for now then.
Let's see if someone is willing to write a plugin that will let me send both formats to the device, renaming them appropriately.
If all else fails, I'll have to check if there are other ereaders that fail a bit more gracefully when confronted with these kinds of problems.
Any hints? ePaper is a must though.
I already tried out and sold the imcoV6L - What a piece of junk, should've closed the browser then the word Android came into view.

-FencepostErr1r
Old 08-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
buy properly formatted retail books & your problem sill go away. the issue is not with the glo, it's with the crap you are downloading & sending to it !

if it's fan faction then go back to the site & tell the authors to learn how to code before they publish their next epic, or just resign yourself to continually fixing other peoples mistakes

Last edited by cybmole; 08-24-2014 at 09:50 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to agree that it is a source problem and not a device problem. Sigil and Calibre are both more forgiving of errors then ADE is and Kobo uses ADE.

I had a look at your sample in Calibre's editor. Yes, Calibre's editor will put in the closing tags, but, what you won't know is if the end tags actually belong where Calibre puts them.

Best solution is to contact the author of these books and get him or her to fix them.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-24-2014 at 07:17 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:16 AM   #21
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
..and Kobo uses ADE.

In that case you can check if a file is going to misbehave before sending it to device, by open with ADE on PC. you should see the same skip to chapter end effect in that.
just download a free copy of ade 2.0 . ( or the the older v1.7 but that is harder to find)
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 AM   #22
FencepostErr1r
Enthusiast

Fixing the problem at the source would be optimal, of course.
I'll try to get in contact with the people involved.

Until then, I'll try identifying the defective books.

-FencepostErr1r

Tags
conversion, formats, glo, shelves