Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This looks like a very interesting device indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #47
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have used that rationalisation in the past. Until one day my wife asked why she always got the second-hand device.
Historically my wife hated mobile phones, computers, internet, pretty much any devices.
When she met me, a total technophile, computer programmer, gadget nut etc,
Over the years she got used to it all.
What it still means tho is she's not comfortable with any new technology until I use it first and can then show her how to use it, which of course puts me in a great position as I love new stuff.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Historically my wife hated mobile phones, computers, internet, pretty much any devices.
When she met me, a total technophile, computer programmer, gadget nut etc,
Over the years she got used to it all.
What it still means tho is she's not comfortable with any new technology until I use it first and can then show her how to use it, which of course puts me in a great position as I love new stuff.
My wife is the same. But, the difference between the Aura and the other Kobo devices wouldn't be enough to trigger the technophobia. She would just see it as a "the same but bigger".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #49
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
6.8" screen and 1440×1080 res...That's a bold move. I didn't even know e-ink made them. That must have cost.

On reflection it makes sense. Amazon is constantly pursuing the budget market and has neglected the high-end market.

Last edited by Rizla; 04-16-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #50
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My wife is the same. But, the difference between the Aura and the other Kobo devices wouldn't be enough to trigger the technophobia. She would just see it as a "the same but bigger".
She'll only know that if you tell her there's not much difference.
Just spout technobabble at her until her eyes glaze over and she gets bored..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naXLxNX4UZc

Last edited by danskmacabre; 04-16-2013 at 03:11 AM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #51
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
She'll only know that if you tell her there's not much difference.
Just spout technobabble at her until her eyes glaze over and she gets bored..
That would work except that she has a finely tuned BS detector
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #52
Aidan
Aidan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I remember before the paperwhite came out I described the device that I wished Amazon would make. It seems Kobo has made it instead;

I asked for a 7'' screen - Kobo makes 6.8''

I asked for a higher definition screen - Kobo makes highest on market

I asked for faster page turns - Kobo claims faster turns

I asked for more customisability - Kobo has more fonts, sizes and options than amazon devices

I asked for more visual interface - Kobo has this

It's spooky, Kobo has made the device I've wanted since I first bought a eink reader. They've also ignored the features I don't care about, colour and closer social network integration. At £140 its fairly priced and I get to play around with it at WH Smith before I buy. As long as it sticks to all its promises I'll be buying this very soon after its release.
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #53
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Oh my. This might just tempt me away from my DXG. I always said I wouldn't go back to anything smaller, but at this resolution...

(I still want a reader with the 9.7" 2400x1600 300 ppi screen EInk makes, though)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #54
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
And, despite the video, expect the screen redraws to be slower than the Glo (same speed CPU, but larger screen area and resolution to compensate for).
By that you are assuming that they use the same CPU.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #55
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Question for anyone else in the UK: am I reading the WHSmith website correctly? They only deliver to the credit card billing address on the standard delivery. So to get them to deliver to my work address I have to pay for 'courier delivery'.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #56
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I'm wondering if the sidelight can be completely disabled?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #57
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The description says that there's an on-off button for the frontlight:

Buttons Power on/off, light on/off
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #58
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Yes. The physical button on the top turns the light off or on, the brightness is controlled theough the touchscreen interface.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #59
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
By that you are assuming that they use the same CPU.
The various reports on the Aura's announcement are saying it's a Freescale and we know it's 1GHz - and the Glo's a 1GHz Freescale (the Touch is a Freescale, as well, though I can't remember if it's 600MHz or 800MHz). So, unless it's a newer generation of Freescale CPU that gets more work out of each clock cycle, it should perform a bit worse than the Glo due to the higher resolution and larger screen size.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #60
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
The various reports on the Aura's announcement are saying it's a Freescale and we know it's 1GHz - and the Glo's a 1GHz Freescale (the Touch is a Freescale, as well, though I can't remember if it's 600MHz or 800MHz). So, unless it's a newer generation of Freescale CPU that gets more work out of each clock cycle, it should perform a bit worse than the Glo due to the higher resolution and larger screen size.
This is only true if the older models were fully utilizing the capacity of the CPU. Kobo has improved page speed etc numerous times without hardware changes.

From http://www.newstatesman.com/technolo...doesnt-friends

Quote:
Kobo is in town for the London Book Fair, and used the opportunity to launch its new ereader. The tech itself is fancy as hell: described by the company as being designed from the ground up for "passionate" readers, it's got an ultra-high resolution screen (slightly sharper than an iPad 4's, though at that stage, who's counting?), sharp industrial design, and a speedy processor that makes it feel faster than any e-ink reader I've used before.

Last edited by taming; 04-16-2013 at 07:37 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote