Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
New Nook

Not sure anyone cares, but I just saw an announcement for a Nook/Lenovo tablet.

https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/pr...d-with-lenovo/

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ml?record=3170
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:40 PM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
450 grams is a very , um, interesting, definition of "lightweight". That's twice the weight of my Libra, and as the satisfied owner of a Lenovo tablet that I suspect is the base model for this device, it's definitely not something I find comfortable to hold and read for long periods of time.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post

I care because it means that B&N isn't (yet) shutting down their Nook division. The more choice the better.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
450 grams is a very , um, interesting, definition of "lightweight". That's twice the weight of my Libra, and as the satisfied owner of a Lenovo tablet that I suspect is the base model for this device, it's definitely not something I find comfortable to hold and read for long periods of time.
But it's relatively light by 10" tablet standards (not eInk eReader standards). Compared to Ipad Pro (11") at 473 grams or the Kindle 10" tablet, 507 grams, the new Lenovo/Nook tablet at 420 grams is fairly light. Even compared to the LifeBook P10 (a 10.3" eInk eReader that weighs 453) the new Lenovo/Nook does pretty well — but it appears most 10.3" eInk eReaders weigh between 300 and 350 grams. Two different animals, though.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Even compared to the LifeBook P10 (a 10.3" eInk eReader that weighs 453)
Likebook P10 (a 10.0" eInk...)
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This device seems to be identical with the Lenovo Tab M10 HD (TB-X306F), that was released a couple of month ago.

Here are some specs (of the Tab M10):

CPU: Mediatek Helio P22T, 8x 2.30GHz (ARM Cortex-A53)
RAM: 2GB LPDDR4x-3200
Memory: 32GB Flash (eMMC)
Graphics: PowerVR GE8320 (iGPU)
Display: 10.1", 1280x800, 149ppi, multi touch, IPS, 400cd/​m²
Connectors: 1x USB-C 2.0, 1x jack
Wireless: WLAN 802.11a/​b/​g/​n/​ac (1x1), Bluetooth 5.0
Navigation: GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
Card readers: microSDXC (up to 1TB)
Camera: 5.0 megapixels (front), 8.0 megapixels, AF (rear)
Operating system: Android 10
Battery: Li-Polymer, 5000mAh, 9h operational time
Dimensions: 241.5x149.4x8.3mm
Weight: 420g
Special features: proximity sensor, acceleration sensor, light sensor, hall sensor, FM-Radio, USB-C mains connection, docking connector
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:02 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But it's relatively light by 10" tablet standards (not eInk eReader standards). Compared to Ipad Pro (11") at 473 grams or the Kindle 10" tablet, 507 grams, the new Lenovo/Nook tablet at 420 grams is fairly light. Even compared to the LifeBook P10 (a 10.3" eInk eReader that weighs 453) the new Lenovo/Nook does pretty well — but it appears most 10.3" eInk eReaders weigh between 300 and 350 grams. Two different animals, though.
Agreed - it's not a heavy tablet, but the linked promo was pitching the reading experience - as you say, two different animals. I am quite happy with my Lenovo 10.1 tablet as a tablet, but almost never read on it, except for the occasional PDF. Just too heavy to hold for sustained reading sessions
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Likebook P10 (a 10.0" eInk...)
Sorry. Thanks for the correction.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Agreed - it's not a heavy tablet, but the linked promo was pitching the reading experience - as you say, two different animals. I am quite happy with my Lenovo 10.1 tablet as a tablet, but almost never read on it, except for the occasional PDF. Just too heavy to hold for sustained reading sessions
My sister-in-law reads regularly on an (older and heavy) Kindle tablet. I don't know why. I sure wouldn't want to.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-23-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #10
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I have the next model up, the M10 FHD Plus (2nd Gen). Great tablet. The M10 HD is similar in many ways to the M8 HD, which I also own and use as a portable reader. (It works great as a portable reader for my gaming PDFs, and the other capabilities can come in handy at times.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
IMO 10” is too big to be an ideal reading tablet, unless large text or PDF is a requirement. With such a requirement, I would prefer the low end iPad to this.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
IMO 10” is too big to be an ideal reading tablet, unless large text or PDF is a requirement. With such a requirement, I would prefer the low end iPad to this.
The specs are pretty impressive on the Nook/Lenovo tablet, and it costs almost $200 less than the iPad 10.2 ($129 vs $319). The Lenovo is lighter, has a slightly longer advertised battery life, the storage can be expanded up to an additional terabyte, it has an Octa-Core CPU, Dolby Atmos dual speakers, 8 MP rear camera (like the iPad) and a 5 MP front camera (compared to the iPad's 1.2) — I realize MP size doesn't always mean that much. Both come with the same 32 GB basic storage. The iPad has a better screen, but the Nook's 1200x800 on a 10.1" screen is not bad. Mostly, though, the price puts these in two completely different classes. The Nook will fit in many more budgets than the iPad 10.2.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post

For a second there, I was excited, or at least interested, about a new Nook.

I wish B&N would rebrand their tablets like Amazon did with the Fire tablets. Too easy to confuse the e-ink and tablet in discussion.

I wish the resolution were higher (1920X1200). I'd rather that than a camera on a tablet. Not like I'm looking for a new tablet anyway. But Lenovo does make very nice tablets. We still use the Lenovo Tab2 that I bought five years ago on a daily basis (sorry for the clumsy sentence construction).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #14
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Mine arrived last night. Seems very similar to the 8" that I bought a while back. More as I play.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote