Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
HairyMutley
HairyMutley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch profile

Hopefully this is the correct part of the forum for this enquiry...
I have just got a Kindle Touch and have installed calibre to support it. During installation, I selected "Amazon" & "Kindle Touch/1-4". What appears strange is that if I go to Preferences, Common Options, Page Setup, neither the input or the output profile reflects this. The output profile is set to Kindle and indicates a screen resolution of 525 x 640, whereas I believe that the Touch has a 600 x 800 screen. The input profile is set to Sony reader. Looking through the other profiles, there doesn't seem to be any selection that matches my device.
I have tried reading the manual, the FAQs and the tool-tips, but they do not re-assure me.

Am I misinterpreting these selections, or is something wrong?

Thanks
HairyMutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have never troubled myself with the output profile -- all it does is control the max resolution of images during conversion, to save space while still taking advantage of your device's capability.

For most books it doesn't matter.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
HairyMutley

Thanks eschwartz, that is re-assuring, especially since you have the same device. I will just work with things as they are.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best thing to do is to set the output profile to Tablet and no changes will be made to the images. This is best. If you ever change to a high resolution Reader such as a PW2, Voyage or H2O, you will have the original resolution instead of any being reduced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
HairyMutley

I can see the benefits of both approaches... so long as I know that it isn't "wrong" I feel comfortable experimenting based on the advice.
Thanks.
Advert

Tags
kindle touch, profile