Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #691
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And, in other Liaden news, a brand-new paperback edition of Carpe Diem has been published, with an updated eBook edition as well. Available from all the usual sources, as well as DRM-Free in multiple formats directly from Baen.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #692
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Ok mark that calendar:

Trader's Leap (23) (Liaden Universe®) Hardcover – December 1, 2020
by Sharon Lee (Author), Steve Miller (Author)

Quote:
NEW ENTRY IN THE LANDMARK LIADEN UNIVERSE® SERIES

The only bridge between past and future is a leap of faith.

Pursued by enemies, exiled Liaden clan Korval is settling into a new base on backworld Surebleak. Moving is expensive, as is war, and Korval is strapped for cash. Delm Korval has therefore instructed Master Trader Shan yos'Galan to design and implement new trade routes, quickly.
Spoiler:

But this is no easy task. Dutiful Passage is targeted by Korval's enemies, denied docking at respectable ports, and cheated at those less respectable. Struggling to recuperate from an attack on his life, while managing daughter Padi’s emerging psychic talents, Shan is running out of options—and time. His quest to establish the all-important trade route puts him at odds with his lifemate, while doubting crew desert the ship. Facing the prospect of failure, Shan accepts the assistance of chancy allies and turns the Passage toward a port only just emerging from Rostov's Dust and awash with strange energies.

Without trade, Clan Korval will starve. Will a trader's leap of faith save everything—or doom all?
Amazon B&N

bernie

P.S.

I checked Kobo but not listed yet.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #693
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks for that reminder!

I'll put it on pre-order.

~happy dance~

Maybe we'll be out of pandemic lockdown by then, lol.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #694
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Questions for everyone, while we've all got time to kill:
  1. Who is your favorite Liaden Universe character?
  2. Who is your least favorite character?
  3. Which character has the most future story potential?
  4. Who is the most under-utilized character?
  5. Which character would you like to see emphasized in a future book?

You can expand on your answers to whatever degree you want.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #695
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, interesting questions:
  1. Tough one. Honestly, there are too many favourites.
  2. Ella ben Suzan. Too wimpy, and too willing to side with Admin. And a close second is Moonhawk and that whole bit of back story that just never quite rang true for me.
  3. Syl Vor and/or Quinn. The new generation
  4. Diglon Rifle. We know there's more to him than just an ordinary rifle, and we know he's gotten married "in" to the clan.
  5. Wherever the story takes us.
Advert
Old 03-30-2020, 04:58 AM   #696
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post

1. I think that my favorite character might be Daav, just because the ups and downs and ups his life has taken.

2. My least favorite character, at the moment, is Theo as she gets older. She just seems too stupidly stubborn at times. And for a person from Delgado and with Daav as her father, she seems surprisingly unable to make even commonsense leaps of judgement. For example, why would she assume that the DOI wouldn't know that Kamele is her mother, and might be used against her?

3.The one with the most story potential, I think, is going to be Syl Vor. He is really going to be the one from the next-gen that is going to be a total blend of Liaden and Surebleak cultures.

4. The most under-utilized character to me is Nova. She needs an adventure. It would have been interesting if Grandmother Cantra had taken over her personality for a bit. Runner-up would be Luken; I want to know more about his daughters who supposedly remained on Liad, and why his family is part of Korval to begin with.

5. I'd like another book in the Crystal sub-series featuring Cantra, the young yos'Galan, Rool, the red-haired gambler, the dea'Gauss clan, the Tree, and all the rest in the early years of establishing life on Liad after the Great Migration.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:08 AM   #697
CRussel
(he/him/his)

For those on Goodreads: the Space Opera Fans group will be discussing Mouse and Dragon starting May 1st. You are welcome to join us. Link to the group.

Also on May 1st, a discussion on Quarter Share, the first of Nathan Lowell's Solar Clipper books.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #698
CRussel
(he/him/his)

There is a new 70,000 word "splinter" that is NON-CANNON starting on The Splinter Universe. This was a failed start at Accepting the Lance that the authors abandoned in 2018 and had to start over. While some scenes will feel familiar to those who've read the Accepting the Lance, that's just the authors being frugal. This near novel length splinter is titled "The Wrong Lance" and is being released one chapter a week, with the first chapter going up this morning.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:26 AM   #699
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Thanks for that info!
Old 06-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #700
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Chapter three went up this morning. I'm quite enjoying this!
Old 06-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #701
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Ok mark that calendar:

Trader's Leap (23) (Liaden Universe®) Hardcover – December 1, 2020
by Sharon Lee (Author), Steve Miller (Author)

Amazon B&N

bernie

P.S.

I checked Kobo but not listed yet.
Great news!! Yahoo. I just finished Accepting the Lance, and felt a bit bereft that it was all over. I’ve stayed away from this thread, to avoid spoilers - I guess I should have had more faith.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #702
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Oh, no, we're not over yet!

Also, I recommend the non-canon chapters that were originally going to be Accepting the Lance until the authors had to toss 70,000+ words out the door and start over. They're being posted, a chapter at a time as "The Wrong Lance", up on the Splinter Universe. Some interesting scenes, for sure. Some of this did make it back into Accepting the Lance, but others, sadly, did not. However, reading these sections has pushed me to do a re-read, mostly Audible, of Lance. Just to make sure I keep track of which is canon and which is NOT.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #703
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post

Fun questions, and interesting replies!

1. It’s very hard to pick a favourite. Daav resonates deeply, because we’ve been through so much with him. But I really enjoy Miri & Val Con too. And I love the humour that Shan brings. I find him laugh out loud funny. Kamele has developed into a strong character as well. Then there’s Theo, Pat Rin, Clarence..... lot’s of strong characters.

2. Ella ben Suzan - I really dislike her. The Moonhawk backstories have felt out of place to me too. Priscilla could have the same strength and temple backstory without the prior lives. They didn’t ring true to me.

3. I’d say the next generation too - Syl Vor, Padi, Kezzi and Quinn. I also think Jethri’s story has much more potential.

4. I’d say Nova’s character is stronger than the part she has been given to play. And we’ve only had a peek at Luken as well.

5. I enjoyed Accepting the Lance very much. But even with DOI dismantled, there are other threads begging for a resolution. So I hope we hear more about this current generation. And I’m looking forward to more of Jethri’s story.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #704
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, no, we're not over yet!

Also, I recommend the non-canon chapters that were originally going to be Accepting the Lance until the authors had to toss 70,000+ words out the door and start over. They're being posted, a chapter at a time as "The Wrong Lance", up on the Splinter Universe. Some interesting scenes, for sure. Some of this did make it back into Accepting the Lance, but others, sadly, did not. However, reading these sections has pushed me to do a re-read, mostly Audible, of Lance. Just to make sure I keep track of which is canon and which is NOT.
Oh, thanks Charlie! I’ll check it out - what fun.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #705
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm looking for an up-to-date list of the books in publication order including the shorts (but not the compilations, the individual shots) and the same list in chronological order. The problem is most lists are either outdated or do not include the shorts.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-26-2020 at 02:19 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote