Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 03:25 AM   #1
hugoheitz
Enthusiast
hugoheitz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch, kindle paperwhite, Asus TF101
Kindle : how to access the abstract of a book already downloaded ?

Hi,

The question is really simple.
I have two kindles : one for me and one for my kids.

I share books with them.

Sometimes they want to see what a book is about before starting to read it.

But I dont know how to do it ?
Is there a simple way to get the abstract of a book already downloaded on the kindle ?

Thanks for your help,
Hugo
hugoheitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
I'm not aware of any built-in abstract feature. If you have wifi or 3g access, you could find an abstract on the Amazon sales page for a book.

Or you could perhaps add a brief abstract to the book meta data in advance.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The About This Book info for a Kindle book can be read while the book is open on a Kindle.

Tap the top of the screen, then the 3 dots in the upper right corner, then select About This Book.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #4
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Requires a wi-fi connection on some if not all books i.e. on 10/10 random books that I tried.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:33 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
^ Requires a wi-fi connection on some if not all books i.e. on 10/10 random books that I tried.
It works for me with airplane mode on. My Kindle books are normally downloaded over WiFi, so the info is part of the book file itself.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Well that tells us that some books save the "about this book" info on Kindle. But it's clearly not all books as the first ten that I tried all had nothing to offer on the device and asked to connect to wifi to continue.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
It works for me with airplane mode on. My Kindle books are normally downloaded over WiFi, so the info is part of the book file itself.
Quote:
Well that tells us that some books save the "about this book" info on Kindle. But it's clearly not all books as the first ten that I tried all had nothing to offer on the device and asked to connect to wifi to continue.
That's probably a side effect of transferring books over USB, which for me is mostly good, since it ovoids all the start actions and end actions crap, but does have the downside of no X-ray and no page number file. I've never missed the "about this book" because I've never tried to access it.

In any case this is another example of things put in the bookname.sdr directory except downloaded from amazon instead of generated on device like bookmarks, highlights, etc.
The info is not part of the book.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The menu on a book offers the option to view it in the store and there you can see a detailed description and reviews.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
A better way to do this, but this needs to be done before you put the book on the kindle, is to use Calibre. Go to Edit Metadata, choose Download Metadata, then select one of the 'blurbs' which appears. You need to make sure you've put the correct book title and author name into their fields for this to work.

When you've done this, you can select a new cover if you want. Then just tick out of the metadata box.

When converting, and this will only work if the book isn't DRM'd, under 'Structure Detection' tick 'Insert Metadata At Start of Book' Then convert, even if it's to the the same format: azw3 is best.

If the book is DRM'd google Apprentice Alf for details about removing it.

Calibre is your friend.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:36 AM   #10
hugoheitz
Enthusiast
hugoheitz began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch, kindle paperwhite, Asus TF101
Thank you all for your answers, I have tried and I now see that :
it works even when out of connection for the books I have bought directly from Amazon.
it works for some of the books I have from outside (books from public domain) but need a connection.

What I understand is that there is no standard on this subject. Most of the times I convert the books in MOBI (in order to be able to read either on Kindle or on Kobo ereader).
Is there a way to insert the metadata in a MOBI format as described by BookCat or will it work only if it is AZW3 ?

Thanks again for your help,
Hugo
hugoheitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Calibre will embed metadata in a mobi book when you convert a book or send to device or save to disk. An easier method probably is to add the tool bar action embed metadata.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Calibre will embed metadata in a mobi book when you convert a book or send to device or save to disk. An easier method probably is to add the tool bar action embed metadata.
The Kindle ignores embedded metadata apart from author and title so this one's not all that useful.

Iirc, the Polish Books option may have the ability to insert the metadata at the start of ebook without a full conversion (azw3 and epub only).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Can't read epub on a Kindle either. Unless it is jailbroken and then koreader would be a better experience.

Lots of useful advice in the thread. The OP should expect to do some work though to sort out the details and confirm what works well for him.

Tags
abstract, kindle