Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Talking All new kindle announced!

All new kindle announced, comes in black and white! $89.99. That's all.

Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLPWYB7

Released on April 10th.

Hmmm, my birthday is April 17th!

It looks like the replacement for the Basic, as no warm light, no waterproofing, but still, quite exciting.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
thread started here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=316069
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I think Amazon understands that their business is selling books and not selling ereaders.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Oops, I thought I was the first!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I think Amazon understands that their business is selling books and not selling ereaders.
Hmm, I think it's a Basic reader actually. It would be really dumb of them to add warm lighting and waterproofing to their basic reader.

They're saving that for their new premium reader. Because they understand that selling readers results in selling books and getting people signed up to KU.
Advert
Old 03-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Hmm, I think it's a Basic reader actually. It would be really dumb of them to add warm lighting and waterproofing to their basic reader.

They're saving that for their new premium reader. Because they understand that selling readers results in selling books and getting people signed up to KU.
It's their least expensive Kindle but it's far from the basic. Me? I find the warm lighting irritating and silly and have never been moved to read in the shower.

"Kevin Keith, VP of Amazon Devices, said they get a lot of feedback from customers about how much they appreciate having a Kindle with lighting, since that allows them to read in any environment. "The team worked hard to bring this customer-favorite feature to our most affordable device, and we're excited to introduce the all-new Kindle -- the first Kindle under $100 with a built-in adjustable front light," he said.

The new e-reader comes with the tech giant's other reading features, as well, including Audible support, Whispersync and Whispersync for Voice, Goodreads, Smart Lookup, Goodreads integration and Family Library. In the coming months, Amazon is also rolling out new reading features for this device and all its newer e-readers, going as far back as the Gen 6 Paperwhite released in 2013.

All the books you finish will be marked as "Read" across all your gadgets, including the Kindle Fire and the Kindle apps for iOS and Android. You're also getting new filters that can show which books you've read and which ones you haven't yet. In addition, the new home experience will find more recommendations based on your reading history.

The all-new Kindle is now available for pre-order from Amazon for $90 and will start shipping on April 10th. It will come with a free three-month Kindle Unlimited subscription, which normally costs $10 a month. If you have an old Kindle collecting dust in your closet, now may be the time to bust it out and trade it in for gift card and a 25 percent discount on the new e-reader."
https://www.engadget.com/amp/2019/03...e-front-light/

"All the books you finish will be marked as "Read" across all your gadgets, including the Kindle Fire and the Kindle apps for iOS and Android. "

I'm hoping this "Read" feature is retroactive.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Oops, I thought I was the first!
You were. You just posted in a different category.

The new basic kindle is still lighter than the Paperwhite.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Phew! Thank goodness for that!

I like that it is available in white. I already have an Oasis and my children are always telling me off for buying Kindles, so I might try and be strong. We'll see.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
Pjama
Guru

Can't believe it STILL has just 167 ppi.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

The new basic kindle is still lighter than the Paperwhite.
nope - I won by 4 minutes
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
nope - I won by 4 minutes
Darn it! I nearly beat Nate the great.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #12
Pjama
Guru

"Good"ereader haven’t noticed yet, so at least I beat them!
Old 03-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Can't believe it STILL has just 167 ppi.
I was reading on my Kindle basic 8 today at an appointment. 167 ppi is just fine. Maybe you folks who have exceptional eyesight can tell a difference, but I can't tell the difference on a PPW3 (2015) or Basic 8 despite the 167 vs. 300 ppi on either Bookerly or Caecillia. This is with the light OFF. When the light is on, yes, you have a difference in density.

As to the timings of the original posts, I see my error. Yes, Nate was first.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I was reading on my Kindle basic 8 today at an appointment. 167 ppi is just fine. Maybe you folks who have exceptional eyesight can tell a difference, but I can't tell the difference on a PPW3 (2015) or Basic 8 despite the 167 vs. 300 ppi on either Bookerly or Caecillia. This is with the light OFF. When the light is on, yes, you have a difference in density.
Curious, what font size?

Mind, I don't think one needs exceptional eyesight to be able to tell there's a difference.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:05 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It really doesn't require "exceptional eyesight" to see the difference between a 167 and 300ppi screen. It has nothing to do with density, either. On a 167ppi screen diagonals on letters (eg the curves on a letter "s") have clearly visible jagged edges due to the relatively low resolution. On a 300dpi screen the letters look smooth.

Of course that doesn't make the lower-resolution screen any less "readable", but it's certainly a visible difference.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-22-2019 at 03:18 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote