Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
Anthestar
Anthestar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Covers/Cases - Pros, Cons & General Thoughts

I just purchased my very first e-reader (Kobo Clara HD), and am wondering what others' thoughts are regarding cases or covers. I'm sure this is ultimately something that comes down to personal preference, but I've had a hard time finding much information about any benefits to using one, other than presumably providing some amount of damage protection.

Do you use a case/cover? If so, are there any particular features/styles that you like best?
Anthestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Damage protection is key, in my opinion. eInk screens are ridiculousy fragile.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I use a cover for my Clara HD. Bought one from amazon since I didn’t like the official one from Kobo.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
In my case (pun intended) I have really liked the official Sony and Kobo covers because they allow the ereader to be held in different ways. Folded back, out like a book, fingers entwined on the cover, propped on the table, etc.. Being able to switch around between multiple positions means I get to read for long periods without getting cramps in my fingers.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have quite a few ereaders, Kindle, Kobo and Nook. I always keep one out of the case and the rest in. I've been doing this since I got my first one in 2009. I've never damaged any of them, in or out of the case.

As for advantages there's the benefit of opening the cover and waking up the device. And if I go somewhere with one I'm glad to have the protection. The one without a case stays home.

There's also a big disadvantage. Cases weigh as much or more than the devices. I buy cheap very light weight cases but they still add a lot of weight. That's why I keep one without a case by my bed. It's much easier to hold it up over my head to read.

Also if I plan a long reading session I'll get that one from the bed and read with it. These things are much nicer without the case. The problem is that you have to be really careful without the protection.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
What others said, IMPO, it's well worth it to protect the device, especially if you carry it in a book bag, coat pocket or anywhere it might get banged around a bit. I personally use both the folding cover and a sleeve to protect it from spills and the like.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Do you think a sleeve would be enough to protect a paperwhite?
I plan on using it naked but want it protected when I travel with it.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:08 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
No! if it is a simple- thin one. All that does is keep it from scratching up.

For travel (especially a backpack), you want stiff enough so if something odd shape presses against the front, that it does not punch-out the screen.
A stiff back, keeps it from being 'folded' (snapped)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #9
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It should do a decent enough job I'd think. I'd still be careful, though.

EDIT: Posted before the last post, and after reading it, that post's probably right. Point withdrawn
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
99.9% of the time my ereader is not in any sort of case. The other 0.1% of the time I use a hard-shell case for transporting it in a bag with other heavy things that might crush an unprotected ereader. It is used every day and has lasted six years so far.

Personally I wouldn't bother with soft cases like sleeves or book-cover style cases. If I can easily bend or twist the case without the ereader inside then it is not going to protect the screen from breaking when it is inside.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:01 AM   #11
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I have had several readers, and I keep them all in book cover style cases. One of my early readers, a Nook Simple Touch, had a cracked screen despite being in a book cover style case. It was fine before going to bed, and cracked the following morning, so it had probably been stressed before then. I can't remember if the cover had anything to keep it from popping open though.

If you decide to get one, I recommend one with a magnetic cover so that it triggers the sleep mechanism and doesn't pop open. I don't think that my covers can prevent cracking the screen if the reader falls in the right way or if something smacks the reader with enough force, but I keep my reader in a backpack, and I think it adds a bit of protection all the same.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:39 AM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I have been studying this issue for a while. I have checked out every cover available in Amazon (My engineering background means I tend to over study things.)

1. Protection is the important thing. I like a Folio folding case that completely covers back and front for that reason. There are light thin covers and thicker heavy covers. Soft cases, hard cases, designer cases.
A very wide choice.

2. More protection! Get a case with with a strap or a ring (yes there is one) on the back (when opened.) You can then hook your hand or finger through it and it won't fall out of your hand onto something hard.

By the way you can add a strap to any case with a bit of elastic and some glue.

Also a screen cover might be desirable. Some cases have them included, but you can add one very cheaply.

3. Most cases will allow the device to be put on a table in the landscape (wider dimension in the horizontal) position. Some allow both portrait and landscape. If your reader is a tablet type (like a Fire) and you wish to type on it then a low angle (15 to 35 degrees) landscape capability is preferred.

4. A wake up mechanism in the case is nice as is a good closure device. An elastic strap is also a sure closing device.

I would venture that with a little shopping you can get something serviceable like you want at Amazon probably for less than $16 or $20 and certainly for less than $30 to $35. I priced a simple Fire HD8 case at Best Buy for $39.

However if you want you can spend far more than the cost of the reader on the case.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #13
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I use this neoprene bag to carry my PaperWhite and Fire HD8:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO2D50O...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The Paperwhite is naked, the Fire is in one of these cases:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-H...30-spons&psc=1

I put the screen side of the PaperWhite up against the Fire inside the neoprene case, so the Fire serves as rigid protection for the PaperWhite screen nestled up against it.

This setup works well for me. I get to use the PaperWhite naked, so its small and light. The added bulk of the case on the Fire doesn't bother me, but a case on a PaperWhite does.

The neoprene case would be too large with only a PaperWhite inside. Usable, but you'd have extra room in there. But it fits the Fire perfectly. It's a tight, snug fit with both the Fire and PaperWhite in there. The fit does relax a little over time as the case stretches from use. But you have to be careful and support the zipper when you slowly close it around the corners of the Fire. If you man-handle the zipper around the corners without taking any care, you will eventually have zipper problems (ask me how I know this!)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:51 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always use a case, for protection, because it keeps the device clean, and because it's far more comfortable to hold than bare metal and glass.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Depends? For me, sleeves are just fine inside my purse or travel backpack (which has an electronics compartment).

I've had an e-ink reader where the screen cracked seemingly due to torque (iRiver Story HD). So far though, my Kindles appear to be of sturdier build. I know I've rolled over on my caseless PW3 while sleeping often enough.

Granted, the PW4 does feel more flimsy compared to the PW3. With its reduced weight though, I actually found a case I like for it. With the PW3, I spent ~$50 buying various cases from Amazon until I gave up and just used it naked.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote