Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
eeeink
Banned
eeeink doesn't littereeeink doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma
Boox Note 10.3 USB-C Cable

Before I bought the Boox Note, I was excited that the device had a USB-C port. I've been trying to switch to single-cable for my devices to reduce clutter.

But, it turns out, the USB-C port on the Boox Note is somehow non-compliant. Only USB-C to A cables work with the device. I haven't been able to get any of my standard USB-C data or charging cables to work with the device.

Can anyone else confirm this is the case, and why it might be?
eeeink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I've had no issues either charging my device or transferring data using the USB-C to USB-A cable that it came with or using a USB-C to USB-A Aukey cable or adapter. I have connected it to various computers, wall chargers and USB sticks without any issues.

I have not yet tried connecting it to a device or wall chrager via a USB-C to USB-C cable.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #3
mossblaser
mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Boox M92
I've managed to successfully charge mine with my Nexus 5X's LG branded USB-C to USB-C charger. I don't have anything to test data with C-C, though. (My computers all have USB-A ports only).
mossblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:27 AM   #4
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
to OP: Does your problem concern data connections or charging?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
MadAstra
Enthusiast
MadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipseMadAstra can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Oasis, Onyx Boox Note
If I try to connect the Note to my MacBook 12-inch with a USB-C to USB-C cable, it doesn't work (either for data or power). But if I plug in a USB-A adapter into the USB-C port on the MacBook and then use the USB-C to USB-A cable, it all works. Quite frustrating.
MadAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAstra View Post
If I try to connect the Note to my MacBook 12-inch with a USB-C to USB-C cable, it doesn't work (either for data or power). But if I plug in a USB-A adapter into the USB-C port on the MacBook and then use the USB-C to USB-A cable, it all works. Quite frustrating.
I see.
I sometimes wonder why it takes electronics manufacturers ages to implement standards that are actually fully documented. And USB data connections aren't really a marvelous novelty either.
And on top of that, Onyx aren't know for reliable firmware support.
Definitely something for the CON-side of my “Should I get a Note”-list.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
eeeink
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAstra View Post
This is my experience as well. It's weird connecting a USB-C to A adapter to a USB-A to C cable... but that does work.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I have USB-C on my PC's front panel and I use USB-C to USB-C both to charge and transfer files.

I do build my own computers and on this one, I have an Asus Maximus ROG X Hero motherboard - this may have something to do with the port's performance.

I have some cables from CablePlux (CablePlux USB Type C to Type-C 3.1 Gen1) that work great. This cable is USB-C Gen 1 which will give fast transfer speeds and it is also compliant for fast charging if your device is capable.

Look for them on Amazon.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
I have USB-C on my PC's front panel and I use USB-C to USB-C both to charge and transfer files.

I do build my own computers and on this one, I have an Asus Maximus ROG X Hero motherboard - this may have something to do with the port's performance.

I have some cables from CablePlux (CablePlux USB Type C to Type-C 3.1 Gen1) that work great. This cable is USB-C Gen 1 which will give fast transfer speeds and it is also compliant for fast charging if your device is capable.

Look for them on Amazon.
And does your setup work with the Note?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"And does your setup work with the Note?"

Yes, it does. I did not mention it specifically because the thread was about:
Boox Note 10.3 USB-C Cable
Old 06-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Thanks! that means that perhaps its the Macbook...?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #12
eeeink
Banned

Thanks, Lord P. Want to mention that my USB-C to USB-C cable doesn't work on any of my Mac devices: MacBook, MacBook Pro, or iMac; doesn't work for charging with a standard USB-C charger from Anker (brick or battery pack) or any of the USB-C chargers from Apple.

Edit: I bought the cable you mentioned, and it does not work. As well, using a different USB-C to A Cable, I get "accessory is drawing too much power" message on Mac. Something is really weird with this device.

At this point, I have gone through at least 5 different USB-C to C cables and 1 additional USB-C to A Cable. *only* the cable that came with the device works.

The others don't work on Windows [ASROC TAI-CHI x399 motherboard] or ChromeBook Pixel either.

Last edited by eeeink; 06-08-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #13
LordP
Zealot

"accessory is drawing too much power"

eeink, I get that same message on my Surface Pro using the same cable - it must be a limitation of the USB port.

I am currently in Bermuda but I will test my Surface Book and see if it does the same thing when I get back to NY.

I recently bought a USB testing unit that tells me power draw and voltage and I'll try to make a comparison between my Surfaces and my desktop.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #14
LordP
Zealot

eeeink:

Just got home and tested both my Surface Pro and my desktop PC (don't remember where I put the Surface Book) using my little USB tester.

Long story short: what didn't work in Bermuda now works OK at home in NYC. the only difference is that maybe the Boox Note 10.3 is almost fully charged.

Anyway, the tester is USB-A (which I had forgotten) so I had to use a USB-A to USB-C adapter to be able to use it (the same thing I did in Bermuda, using the same adapter and the same cable).

Here are the results:

USB Safety Tester J7-t

In PC front panel - USB-A 3.1
4.98v
0.13A
0.64W
0.51Wh
14:30 sec
10.91 Ohms

Surface Pro - USB-A 3.1
5.03v
0.50A
2.26W
0.48Wh
12:53 sec
10.23 Ohms

As you can see, there is no huge difference except for the wattage but, that's only because of the difference in amperage.

I wish I could help with your Mac but I don't own any "i" stuff.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #15
eeeink
Banned

Thanks, Lord P, for your investigation.

I purchased an additional Boox Note 10.3 to test. It also failed to work with the same USB-C to USB-C cables and associated adapters

* Nintendo Switch
* ChomeBook Pixel
* Pixel XL 2
* MacBook 31w Adapter

as well as the one Lord P mentioned: CablePlux (CablePlux USB Type C to Type-C 3.1 Gen1), w/iMac.

Another USB-C to A cable that I have, that did not come with the Boox Note, works fine. Previously, this cable prompted OS X to give me an error that the device was drawing too much power, but that issue has not recurred since.

At this point, given the other user's feedback about this issue, it appears there is something about the Boox Note 10.3 that only wants USB-C to A cables. This is a bit disappointing, and if I had known this before I bought it, I would not have purchased it.

Last edited by eeeink; 06-29-2018 at 08:09 PM.