Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
antistatic
antistatic began at the beginning.

Device: KPW
PW2 bricked after installing Fonts hack

Hi, I use regularly a JB PW2 with 5.4.3.2 software version and tried to install Screensaver and Fonts hack, the result was a bricked Kindle

What I did:

1. Upgrade to 5.4.5 because of some problems with KUAL mentioned in the forum
2. Install KUAL
3. Install Rescue Pack, Coward's Rescue Pack, Screensavers Hack and Fonts Hack

Screensavers worked fine but Fonts didn't

4. Uninstall Fonts, Install Python
5. Install Fonts (placing the .bin file on the root folder and rebooting, it went ok)

Then I copied some font files to the folder but it didn't work, fonts didn't show on the aA menu.

6. Restart
7. Diags Mode screen

At this point the device always returns to to System Diags, tried already creating the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file and selecting Disable Diagnostics on the Diags Menu with no success

Do I have any hope of recovering my Kindle? Thank you
antistatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistatic View Post
Hi, I use regularly a JB PW2 with 5.4.3.2 software version and tried to install Screensaver and Fonts hack, the result was a bricked Kindle

What I did:

1. Upgrade to 5.4.5 because of some problems with KUAL mentioned in the forum
2. Install KUAL
3. Install Rescue Pack, Coward's Rescue Pack, Screensavers Hack and Fonts Hack

Screensavers worked fine but Fonts didn't

4. Uninstall Fonts, Install Python
5. Install Fonts (placing the .bin file on the root folder and rebooting, it went ok)

Then I copied some font files to the folder but it didn't work, fonts didn't show on the aA menu.

6. Restart
7. Diags Mode screen

At this point the device always returns to to System Diags, tried already creating the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file and selecting Disable Diagnostics on the Diags Menu with no success

Do I have any hope of recovering my Kindle? Thank you
Start by reading all of the directions on each of the things you installed.

There you will find that for some firmware versions, no change in Aa menu is expect, only its function changes.
Translation: Read carefully, do not skip spoilers.

That includes, specifically, how to use CRP.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
antistatic

Thanks, sometimes is hard to find the right information, I find some instructions on the README.txt of the Rescue Pack.

However, after doing what it said, the Kindle still goes back to System Diags, I'm not sure if I have to mount some filesystem. Better ask before messing something up.

This is the ssh session, if there is some useful information:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sshKindle.png
Views:	205
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	155879
Old 03-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
antistatic

I let the USB cable connected after reboot.

Thank you very much for your generous work, it's greatly appreciated.

You guys are awesome!

Last edited by antistatic; 03-29-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I let the USB cable connected after reboot.

Thank you very much for your generous work, it's greatly appreciated.

You guys are awesome!
That triggers CRP.
You probably do not need CRP, it is just a feature add-on to RP.
Advert
Old 03-30-2017, 03:03 AM   #6
antistatic

Everything is working fine, except the Kindle is having problems registrating and the solution for the Kindle Customer Service is upgrading to 5.8.8. Before doing that I want to confirm JB

Is there a way to check if JB is still present?

When trying to open KUAL it says the device is not authorised as a test Kindle, so I suspect JB is not working completely fine. If I try to run the JB again it just says Upgrade Successful but no folders are created, JB files are not erased and no confirmation message is shown.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:19 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Everything is working fine, except the Kindle is having problems registrating and the solution for the Kindle Customer Service is upgrading to 5.8.8. Before doing that I want to confirm JB

Is there a way to check if JB is still present?

When trying to open KUAL it says the device is not authorised as a test Kindle, so I suspect JB is not working completely fine. If I try to run the JB again it just says Upgrade Successful but no folders are created, JB files are not erased and no confirmation message is shown.

Any help is appreciated.
Do not update to anything newer than 5.8.7 because you can not jail break 5.8.8

Did it occur to you to try the test installation attached to the first post of the current jailbreak? It is there for a reason.

The jailbreak has nothing at all to do with the execution of applications, either ours or Amazon's.
It only makes installing our signed packages possible.

Install the "Hotfix".
Old 03-31-2017, 01:50 AM   #8
antistatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Did it occur to you to try the test installation attached to the first post of the current jailbreak? It is there for a reason.
Sure, but I don't have the /mrpackages folder, that's the reason I think the JB is somehow damaged

Quote:
Install the "Hotfix".
I am using the .bin file from JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip (28-08-2016) but the Update option is grayed out and the file is erased every time I eject the Kindle.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:32 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sure, but I don't have the /mrpackages folder, that's the reason I think the JB is somehow damaged

I am using the .bin file from JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip (28-08-2016) but the Update option is grayed out and the file is erased every time I eject the Kindle.
First six characters of the device serial number and the current firmware version installed please.
Both can be found on the "Device Info" page in the "Settings" menu path.

Let me guess -
This is a PW-2 and you did not return to the jailbreak instructions to complete steps #7 and #8.
Which is why you don't have KUAL or MrPI things, you haven't installed them yet.

Last edited by knc1; 03-31-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
antistatic

Quote:
First six characters of the device serial number and the current firmware version installed please.
Both can be found on the "Device Info" page in the "Settings" menu path.

Let me guess -
This is a PW-2 and you did not return to the jailbreak instructions to complete steps #7 and #8.
Which is why you don't have KUAL or MrPI things, you haven't installed them yet.
901722, it's running 5.4.5

It's a PW2 JB'ed years ago so I am not familiar with the long instructions, I managed to install and run KUAL and install ScreenSavers and RP with the KUAL installer, the folder mrackages disappeared after I left the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file.

I JB with 5.4.3.2 and the upgraded to 5.4.5 so I could use KUAL. At this point I'm not sure about the state of the JB so I prefer to be cautious and ask you guys first to avoid a very nice brick
Old 03-31-2017, 12:13 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
after I left the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file.
- - - -
That trigger filename means to do just what it says, remove all user additions (our add-ins are not recognized as items that shipped from the factory).
What did you expect it to do other than remove your additions?

Now all you have to do is start over, following the directions for your model and current firmware version.

If your current firmware version is 5.8.8, you are SOL.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
antistatic

Quote:
That trigger filename means to do just what it says, remove all user additions (our add-ins are not recognized as items that shipped from the factory).
What did you expect it to do other than remove your additions?
Amateur mistakes, I'm just happy I didn't bricked my Kindle.

Quote:
Now all you have to do is start over, following the directions for your model and current firmware version.

If your current firmware version is 5.8.8, you are SOL.
Fortunately I stayed with 5.4.5. I'll try the new instructions and report back to this thread.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #13
antistatic

Quote:
[*]For some firmware versions, your Kindle must be registered with Amazon to access the required menus.
The general rule to cover all versions, is: If not yet registered, do that now.
I get an error when trying to register and the only solution Amazon gave me was to upgrade to 5.8.8...but I won't. They say I can't register with the installed version (5.4.5)

I think if I have a more recent firmware version maybe Amazon won't complain when I try to register, is there any software version (newer than 5.4.5 and older than 5.8.8) you can suggest to try?
Old 04-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I get an error when trying to register and the only solution Amazon gave me was to upgrade to 5.8.8...but I won't. They say I can't register with the installed version (5.4.5)

I think if I have a more recent firmware version maybe Amazon won't complain when I try to register, is there any software version (newer than 5.4.5 and older than 5.8.8) you can suggest to try?
Current jailbreak:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
Step #7 -
Open spoiler titled "Amazon" -
There find direct links to: 5.7.4 .. 5.8.7
Those are "consumer" updates on the Amazon server, but they can all be jail broken.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #15
antistatic

Quote:
Current jailbreak:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
Step #7 -
Open spoiler titled "Amazon" -
There find direct links to: 5.7.4 .. 5.8.7
Those are "consumer" updates on the Amazon server, but they can all be jail broken.
Worked like a charm. Thank you