Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #61
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra H2O & Clara HD, Nook ST w/GL, GL+ (2015), Kindle PW4
Sorry to bring this back up after a couple of months, but I'm curious if this has changed for anyone here with the newly released Nook GL+ 7.8. My problems (and it seems like several others) were with the software, service, and/or some management decisions, not really the hardware. It seems like a pretty great and decently affordable device that has sold out everywhere I can see, and is probably a step in the right direction.

My question to you all would be, "Is it enough (for you)?"
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnbrwncouches View Post
Sorry to bring this back up after a couple of months, but I'm curious if this has changed for anyone here with the newly released Nook GL+ 7.8. My problems (and it seems like several others) were with the software, service, and/or some management decisions, not really the hardware. It seems like a pretty great and decently affordable device that has sold out everywhere I can see, and is probably a step in the right direction.

If it were available here (here being defined as anywhere outside the USA), I would not choose it as my ereader. The hardware may be great but just too many reports of issues with the software, never mind that B&N does not seem to be a good bet to be around in a couple of years.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #63
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

I haven't decided. The newest Nook is tempting, but as DNSB said, there are too many reports about software issues, especially sideloading. As I cannot buy ebooks from B&N, sideloading is indispensable for me. But I might still get it, have to think some more and wait for more reviews.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #64
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
The Nook e-ink hardware has always been excellent. I've never owned one but over the years have often been tempted. The problem has always been the software and the company behind it. From what I can see both are now even worse. It may be wise to remember that Waterstones stopped selling ebooks and directed their e-book customers to Kobo back in 2016.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
...there are too many reports about software issues, especially sideloading. As I cannot buy ebooks from B&N, sideloading is indispensable for me.
If this post is confusingly written, I apologize in advance:

The sideloading issues are on the Glowlight 3 and stem (I believe) from B&N switching the partitions to allow more space from sideloading. Originally, the Glowlight 3 was partitioned in a way that only allowed 2BGs for sideloaded content. The rest was reserved for content purchased from B&N. After complaints, they released a software update that flipped the two partitions. When they did that, you saw the complaints about sideloading pop-up.

I have a Glowlight Plus (the old, 6" model) and a Glowlight 3. Both run the same software, but the Plus was never partitioned. All space was available to the user from the get-go. I have never had any sort of issue with sideloading to the Plus.

I haven't had the issues with the Glowlight 3 that others have mentioned, but it is buggy and slow to update after ejecting in a way the Plus is not.

To make a long story short, if the new Glowlight Plus is running the same software as my old Glowlight Plus, I don't think sideloading will be an issue.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
The Nook e-ink hardware has always been excellent. I've never owned one but over the years have often been tempted. The problem has always been the software and the company behind it...
That I agree with. I have three Nooks and I love the hardware. Physically, the Nook STwG, Plus and 3 are better than the competing Kindles and Kobos of the time.

I liked the old software on the Nook ST. But Kobo's software is so much nicer in little ways, like listing the book series, being able to use Calibre tags to create collections, the ability to sideload fonts and so forth. Some of this has more to with Kobo and Calibre hackers than the company itself. But there aren't the corresponding Nook hackers, so it is what it is.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #67
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That I agree with. I have three Nooks and I love the hardware. Physically, the Nook STwG, Plus and 3 are better than the competing Kindles and Kobos of the time.
I loved all of the Nook's I've purchased over the years and the capability I had to actually handle and use them before purchasing. I found that personally, I really preferred the Nooks over each of their Kindle competitors at the time. I still use my older model Nook Glowlight Plus quite often.

Quote:
I liked the old software on the Nook ST. But Kobo's software is so much nicer in little ways, like listing the book series, being able to use Calibre tags to create collections, the ability to sideload fonts and so forth. Some of this has more to with Kobo and Calibre hackers than the company itself. But there aren't the corresponding Nook hackers, so it is what it is.
This is what gave me the final push to try Kobo, even though I couldn't test them in person, after multiple Nook devices over the years. The software is much better (for me) and yes some of that is due to the fine work of several people in these forums for which I am very grateful, but it also seems much easier to do compared to rooting the Nook or jailbreaking a Kindle.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #68
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I've heard lots of complaints about the BN software, but I've never had a problem with it. I had a Nook Simple Touch for years which I loved but I wanted a light. In 2017 I decided to get a Kindle Voyage because of worry that BN wouldn't be around much longer. The Voyage died after 18 months. I thought I could live with the Paperwhite, but I really don't like it. I need buttons. The bezels on the PW are so small that I kept turning pages inadvertently. I decided to go back to Nook and got the Glowlight Plus. I have had it for almost three weeks. I really like it. I have sideloaded quite a few books and haven't had any problems.

I like the software. I like that the Nook keeps all my series together, which Kindle never did. If I could get Nook for PC to work again, I would be buying books from BN.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
If this post is confusingly written, I apologize in advance:

The sideloading issues are on the Glowlight 3 and stem (I believe) from B&N switching the partitions to allow more space from sideloading. Originally, the Glowlight 3 was partitioned in a way that only allowed 2BGs for sideloaded content. The rest was reserved for content purchased from B&N. After complaints, they released a software update that flipped the two partitions. When they did that, you saw the complaints about sideloading pop-up.

I have a Glowlight Plus (the old, 6" model) and a Glowlight 3. Both run the same software, but the Plus was never partitioned. All space was available to the user from the get-go. I have never had any sort of issue with sideloading to the Plus.

I haven't had the issues with the Glowlight 3 that others have mentioned, but it is buggy and slow to update after ejecting in a way the Plus is not.

To make a long story short, if the new Glowlight Plus is running the same software as my old Glowlight Plus, I don't think sideloading will be an issue.
Yes, that's what I hoped too initially (I considered the Glowlight 3 when it came out and kept an eye on its threads). Unfortunately there have already been reports about the sideloading issues with the new Plus (the PCMag review and the blog here).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I've heard lots of complaints about the BN software, but I've never had a problem with it.
To be fair, I was very happy with the Nook software before I bought a Kobo. I do wish B&N would let me turn off the recommendations panel that fills half the screen. But of course, that would go against their business interests.

But one change for the worse was replacing the 'open book' button in the top left with the profile button. I used that open book when I was messing with something in the settings. I NEVER use the profile button for anything. And now when I'm in the settings, I have to go to the home screen, then use the return to book button. It's a small change maybe, but it's a change in the wrong direction.

I do like the Nook software more than Kindle software, at least when navigating the device, outside of a book.

Quote:
I like that the Nook keeps all my series together, which Kindle never did.
How does it do that? I haven't seen that, unless you mean author stacking? I think it will track series if you purchase books from B&N, but now all of my books are sideloaded, so maybe I'm missing something.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #71
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
How does it do that? I haven't seen that, unless you mean author stacking? I think it will track series if you purchase books from B&N, but now all of my books are sideloaded, so maybe I'm missing something.
Yes, that is just on books purchased from B&N. It makes me wish I could still liberate my B&N books. I’m too lazy to sideload everything.

You are right about the return to current book button. I miss it too.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #72
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
They'd have to be first-to-market among the big boys with some sort of revolutionary feature like color epaper, IMO
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #73
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
They'd have to be first-to-market among the big boys with some sort of revolutionary feature like color epaper, IMO
Could happen, they certainly beat Kindle and most others to market on some features over the years like the glowlight.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #74
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Could happen, they certainly beat Kindle and most others to market on some features over the years like the glowlight.
Unfortunately the cutting edge B&N is long gone. What remains is a shadow of its former self.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #75
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Unfortunately the cutting edge B&N is long gone. What remains is a shadow of its former self.
And this Shadow doesn't know.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote