Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Interesting, how do you see yourself using such a device?
If such a device was built I could see it being useful for writer's. They could type out of doors on their netbook without the screen going dark like a LCD screen does.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
They could type out of doors on their netbook without the screen going dark like a LCD screen does.
That is further promulgation of a meme.

There is no generic reason why an LCD display has to go "dark" outdoors (in fact none of mine do). Furthermore they can be made readable outdoors as they are where such readability is widely desired by users; for example, look at leisure marine electronic devices where active LCD colour displays are widely used even in bright sunlight.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post

There is no generic reason why an LCD display has to go "dark" outdoors (in fact none of mine do). Furthermore they can be made readable outdoors as they are where such readability is widely desired by users; for example, look at leisure marine electronic devices where active LCD colour displays are widely used even in bright sunlight.
Mine do though. Probably has to do with the materials used in the manufacture.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:32 PM   #19
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:

Hadn't known that. Checked on YouTube and found a video from 6 years ago showing a couple of screens that were sunlight readable and contrasting them in natural sunlight to a screen which wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78KmJUyVeY

Kind of makes one wonder why this technology doesn't seem to have been used on very many portable devices. Is it overly expensive, or perhaps an energy hog?

I'm guessing that quite a number of people would pay a bit more for screens that were truly usable outdoors. Just think about how much easier it would be to catch Pokemon...
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:40 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

Transflective LCDs are really nice, but they do have their limitations.

https://www.displaybly.com/lcd-news/...-of-lcd-panel/

https://www.caltronind.com/articles/...e-lcd-displays
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #21
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Transflective LCDs are really nice, but they do have their limitations.
Well, actually there is only one limitation (not your "limitations") and that is they are more expensive than transmissive (at present).

One of your links compares reflective LCD (a.k.a. passive LCD) with respect to light, which although everyone has seen it (some many times a day) hardly anyone knows what it is. Comparison of reflective with transmissive and transflective LCD panels is totally irrelevant as their applications hardly ever overlap and its use is now largely driven by its very low almost giveaway cost (or in some very low energy environments, such as quite old small sailboats of limited power generation and storage capacity) by their low power consumption.

In fact mention of passive LCD reminds of one of the likely dead horses that E Ink are trying to thrash into life, and that is in-store shelf labelling. I would have thought that if such was a goer then passive LCD would have cornered that market decades ago?
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #22
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
Take my money and give it to me!
Onyx already showed an e-Ink laptop prototype at a trade fair in April.

Last edited by Doitsu; 08-26-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:42 AM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Sony and E-ink working on a E-ink Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Onyx already showed an e-Ink laptop prototype at a trade fair in April.

Fascinating, but the screen looks quite small. I wonder if there's a big enough market is for such devices? On the other hand if the price is right and the weight is kept to a minimum, they could also serve as ebook readers. That might increase their appeal.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Fascinating, but the screen looks quite small. I wonder if there's a big enough market is for such devices? On the other hand if the price is right and the weight is kept to a minimum, they could also serve as ebook readers. That might increase their appeal.
I'm leaning against buying such a device at this point. I expect my laptop to be a multi purpose computer, and I feel I'd not want to limit my options on how I use a laptop.

Maybe an internet browser/word processor device would find such a screen useful, but I personally don't see myself interested in something like that. Nor am I particularly interested in using my computer outside.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It's a 9.7" screen, yes.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:11 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The only real downside I see is that everywhere you go on the net these days and almost everything you do, you run into videos and animation; not exactly strong suits for eInk. Still, I must say I'm tempted.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Even as a writing tool it has limitations. I use an Onyx Max Carta with the Microsoft Wedge keyboard and it is a delight for outdoor writing until I get cranking and really produce text, then the screen refresh has problems keeping up with input and some letters will go missing. Starting to correct that creates an unwanted hurdle in the creative process.
However, for the type of writer who produce more text than coherent thought it could be a godsend since it requires you to stop up and review your writing.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #28
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
However, for the type of writer who produce more text than coherent thought it could be a godsend since it requires you to stop up and review your writing.
I prefer "Stream of Consciousness", it's more "arty" and "Thinky"
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 AM   #29
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I prefer "Stream of Consciousness", it's more "arty" and "Thinky"
The problem when English isn't your mother tongue and you've spoken Japanese for three days straight.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:00 AM   #30
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
As a big transflective proponent, I'd be very glad to see this (finally broke down and bought a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 since the AMOLED screen on adaptive brightness is as close to daylight viewable as it seems we're likely to get).

Still despair of every replacing my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 --- it was just perfect for my needs (in particular, to control a CNC machine out-of-doors, and as a mapreader and ebook reader when traveling), but the GB will just have to do for the foreseeable future.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote