Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #46
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Pleasant cozy mysteries seem to be the opposite of hard-boiled.
I've actually read cozy noir. Michelle Scott wrote a series...what is the title of the first. Let me go check. Be right back.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #47
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here it is:
https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Hell...michelle+scott

Straight to Hell

I was expecting a typical cozy, but it's not. It's cruising along being cozy and then:

Spoiler:
the main starts shoplifting. Not because she needs the items, but basically because she is in the employ of the devil trying to save her own bacon. This isn't something you typically find in cozies, but I continued on. In a typical cozy, the main would have found a way around the requirement that she do something like shoplift to prove her loyalty. There were other bits like this--she's supposed to push someone to his death. She does it, but the guy is saved--not by her and not by her means, so I'm thinking it really is cozy, but then...Last, but not least, at the end of the book, she's in a situation where she can prove her loyalty or gain her tokens or whatever by sleeping with her sister's boyfriend (luring him to the dark side so to speak) and ...she does it. The book essentially ends on that dark note where instead of the redemption that you'd expect in a cozy, you've got this gal who has fallen further and further into this mess. Yet the book is cozy in most other respects (the love interest, the setting, the premise, her fetish with shopping, etc).

So cozy noir does exist. There was another book I read that I'd put in that category, but I don't remember the title or the author at the moment. It's not really a genre I read on purpose.
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #48
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Have you ever read any of the Martin Walker mysteries? Very pleasant cozy mysteries that take place in south western France.
No cozies, please (in this thread).

-- But thank you for the suggestion.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #49
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Pleasant cozy mysteries seem to be the opposite of hard-boiled.

Exactly. And that's the reason I choose not to read one (in any examples listed - or might be listed - for this thread).
Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Do you only want older novels?

How about Dennis Lehane's McKensie/Genaro series?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #51
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I loved these books when they came out (at least the first set - I haven't read the newest one), but I don't remember if they're told from the First Person POV.

I'm not sure if they're really "noir" either, but that could be purely interpretation. What I love about Lehane's stories is that he gets into the human heart. It's not just a murder mystery - personally, I think that's my biggest grievance with the movie Mystic River. It turned a seriously thoughtful book into just another murder thriller.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:40 AM   #52
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

If it meets the criteria I set up in post #1, then ABSOLUTELY I'm interested.

That's an author I'm not familiar with.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #53
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Also check out Adrian McKinty's Sean Duffy series for some Irish noir.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If it meets the criteria I set up in post #1, then ABSOLUTELY I'm interested.

That's an author I'm not familiar with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Give me worn gumshoes and a world-weary attitude,
Check. From what I recall.

Quote:
and a man (or woman) who constantly needs a shave.
It is a husband and wife detective team, as I recall. I don't recall mention of his facial hair or her hairy legs/pits.

Quote:
I want noir attitude! Pulp novels are OK. First person narratives are, of course, mandatory.
The opening paragraphs:

Quote:
The bar at the Ritz-Carlton looks out on the Public Gardens and requires a tie. I’ve looked out on the Public Gardens from other vantage points before, without a tie, and never felt at a loss, but maybe the Ritz knows something I don’t.

My usual taste in clothes runs to jeans and diver’s shirts, but this was a job, so it was their time, not mine. Besides, I’d been a little behind on the laundry recently, and my jeans probably would’ve hopped the subway and met me there before I got a chance to put them on. I picked a dark blue, double-breasted Armani from my closet—one of several I received from a client in lieu of cash—found the appropriate shoes, tie, and shirt, and before you could say, “GQ,” I was looking good enough to eat.
The first book in the series is A Drink Before the War: A Novel (Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro Series)

From Amazon:

"As richly complex and brutal as the terrain it depicts, here is the mesmerizing, darkly original novel that heralded the arrival of Dennis Lehane, the master of the new noir—and introduced Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro, his smart and tough private investigators weaned on the blue-collar streets of Dorchester."

Not really a spoiler, but does include the story overview (also from Amazon):

Spoiler:
A cabal of powerful Boston politicians is willing to pay Kenzie and Gennaro big money for a seemingly small job: to find a missing cleaning woman who stole some secret documents. As Kenzie and Gennaro learn, however, this crime is no ordinary theft. It's about justice, about right and wrong. But in Boston, finding the truth isn't just a dirty business . . . it's deadly.

One book in the series was made into a movie: Gone Baby Gone
Old 07-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #55
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I think that's my biggest grievance with the movie Mystic River. It turned a seriously thoughtful book into just another murder thriller.
My biggest grievance with Mystic River (the movie) was Kevin Bacon.

I DO think Lehanes's Kenzie and Gennaro books would hit a lot of Drib's criteria, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-26-2017 at 09:22 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #56
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My biggest grievance with Mystic River (the movie) was Kevin Bacon.

I DO think Lehanes's Kenzie and Gennaro books would hit a lot of Drib's criteria, though.
Yeah, they would.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-26-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #57
John F
Grand Sorcerer

The drawback to the Kensie/Gennaro books is that some of the content is disturbing, unsettling, ...
Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 AM   #58
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
The drawback to the Kensie/Gennaro books is that some of the content is disturbing, unsettling, ...
I don't think that will be a problem for the OP. Actually sounds perfect for him.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #59
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Agreed. I didn't personally like them, but they fit the criteria. (The one I "read" was DNF). Too dark.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #60
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Check. From what I recall.

It is a husband and wife detective team, as I recall. I don't recall mention of his facial hair or her hairy legs/pits.

The opening paragraphs:

The first book in the series is A Drink Before the War: A Novel (Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro Series)

From Amazon:

"As richly complex and brutal as the terrain it depicts, here is the mesmerizing, darkly original novel that heralded the arrival of Dennis Lehane, the master of the new noir—and introduced Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro, his smart and tough private investigators weaned on the blue-collar streets of Dorchester."

Not really a spoiler, but does include the story overview (also from Amazon):

Spoiler:
A cabal of powerful Boston politicians is willing to pay Kenzie and Gennaro big money for a seemingly small job: to find a missing cleaning woman who stole some secret documents. As Kenzie and Gennaro learn, however, this crime is no ordinary theft. It's about justice, about right and wrong. But in Boston, finding the truth isn't just a dirty business . . . it's deadly.

One book in the series was made into a movie: Gone Baby Gone

That opening paragraph you quote caught me up in the narrative. I like the attitude and find it very 'noirish'.

I'll check that one out and will report back.

-- Thank you!