Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2017, 01:20 AM   #46
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
Sort of? I suggested adding higher level divisions (pov chapters grouped into sections/parts) rather then moving the pov bits down a level (chapters divided into subchapters) but either way you end up with pov groupings.

However Pulpmeister's idea would definitely produce a cleaner Table of Contents then mine.
I am pleased that I did understand you correctly the first time (but it had already got me to wondering about variations on the theme).

What I didn't mention in my first response is that when I published my first books I did experiment with TOC hierarchies (my first books have parts as well as chapters). They can work okay in the front matter where it is just a matter of layout, but you have to be careful of them with the metadata TOC because ereaders vary a lot in how (or even if) they cope with hierarchies. It may be that they've improved since I last researched this aspect, but I am still wary of introducing anything unusual.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #47
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The chapters in Game of Thrones seem about right as a good gauge. I'm listening to the audio book and they are about 25 minutes. Yes, there are some shorter and some longer, but the general gist seems very comfortable.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #48
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tarana, Game of Thrones isn't an ideal example for me. I had trouble finishing the first book and haven't gone back for any more.

Still thinking about this, and there is another way to play with the sub-chapter idea, but it reverses what I said about not needing to take additional care to introduce the character at a change of context. But, hey, am I a writer or not?

If I rewrite the opening paragraph of each new section (sub-chapter) to start with the character name then I can use drop-cap/initial formatting as a way of making it stand out a bit like a sub-chapter heading. I'd still use the "- - -" breaks in case some ereader formatting stuffs up the initial.

Chapter 10.

Carla said ...
- - -
Ruth wondered ...
- - -
Matt thought ...
- - -

Of course, having reworded the opening paragraph the highlighting is largely redundant (and could be a bad thing, since I sometimes find that overly fancy initials just make the text harder to read). Just a thought. As if I really needed yet another choice. I might put off finishing the story just to avoid having to decide.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:52 PM   #49
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Tarana, Game of Thrones isn't an ideal example for me. I had trouble finishing the first book and haven't gone back for any more.

Still thinking about this, and there is another way to play with the sub-chapter idea, but it reverses what I said about not needing to take additional care to introduce the character at a change of context. But, hey, am I a writer or not?

If I rewrite the opening paragraph of each new section (sub-chapter) to start with the character name then I can use drop-cap/initial formatting as a way of making it stand out a bit like a sub-chapter heading. I'd still use the "- - -" breaks in case some ereader formatting stuffs up the initial.

Chapter 10.

Carla said ...
- - -
Ruth wondered ...
- - -
Matt thought ...
- - -

Of course, having reworded the opening paragraph the highlighting is largely redundant (and could be a bad thing, since I sometimes find that overly fancy initials just make the text harder to read). Just a thought. As if I really needed yet another choice. I might put off finishing the story just to avoid having to decide.
"The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury and "I Robot" by Isaac Asimov are good examples of books with short chapters.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #50
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
"The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury and "I Robot" by Isaac Asimov are good examples of books with short chapters.
These are both short story collections. "I, Robot" contains some loose linking through Susan Calvin, but each is still an independent story. It's been so long since I read "The Martian Chronicles" that I can't remember the details, but seem to remember they formed a sort of loose history while still remaining independent stories.
Advert
Old 05-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #51
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Finish the book and then the TOC can be figured out. You have me curious about the book now.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #52
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Finish the book and then the TOC can be figured out. You have me curious about the book now.
You've stumbled on my hidden agenda

It seems to me that a big part of writing is finding things to worry over (also referred to as procrastination).

I am definitely going to finish writing it, because I want to know what happens (more accurately, I want to know how it happens, I have a reasonable idea how it ends now). I can't guarantee I will end up publishing it. Aside from not knowing yet whether I think it will end up good enough to suffer through the publication process, I also think it is going to be a hard one to sell. It is ostensibly contemporary fantasy (or maybe contemporary science fantasy) but the first half of it is very light on the fantasy. I think it will be, effectively, two books, with a definite change over half-way, but at the moment I expect to publish it as one*.

P.S. Please don't hold your breath waiting. It's been going well for the last month or so, but my work commitments get pretty heavy as the Australian end of financial year comes around (30-June), and that will put a dent in the momentum.

* I'm not a fan of cliff-hangers at the end of books. Okay, so I had one at the end of the second book of my already published series, but the length left me very little choice. This time around I hope to fit it all in under 500 pages - at least I hope so, it was never intended to be this big when I started it.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:09 AM   #53
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
You've stumbled on my hidden agenda

It seems to me that a big part of writing is finding things to worry over (also referred to as procrastination).

I am definitely going to finish writing it, because I want to know what happens (more accurately, I want to know how it happens, I have a reasonable idea how it ends now). I can't guarantee I will end up publishing it. Aside from not knowing yet whether I think it will end up good enough to suffer through the publication process, I also think it is going to be a hard one to sell. It is ostensibly contemporary fantasy (or maybe contemporary science fantasy) but the first half of it is very light on the fantasy. I think it will be, effectively, two books, with a definite change over half-way, but at the moment I expect to publish it as one*.

P.S. Please don't hold your breath waiting. It's been going well for the last month or so, but my work commitments get pretty heavy as the Australian end of financial year comes around (30-June), and that will put a dent in the momentum.

* I'm not a fan of cliff-hangers at the end of books. Okay, so I had one at the end of the second book of my already published series, but the length left me very little choice. This time around I hope to fit it all in under 500 pages - at least I hope so, it was never intended to be this big when I started it.
Don't worry I won't hold my breath. I understand life happens.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:14 AM   #54
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
A non-fiction example (IMO) is "The Bible." Chapter lengths in the 66 books can vary quite a bit. Fiction isn't the only form of writing that can have short chapters.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:52 AM   #55
charis9
charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Personally, I prefer short chapters. Still trying to find the reason of it... I assume it depends on your type of thinking. I have an analytical thinking in the most life situations that is why I prefer, to sum up, what I heard, saw or read through short chapters.

I think there is no the right answer how it should be done.
charis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #56
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Thanks, charis9. I believe that you are correct, there is no right answer - though sometimes there are wrong answers.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #57
charis9
charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charis9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hope you will find your right answer.
charis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #58
E.M.DuBois
Connoisseur
E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+
gmw I have to admit, I'm really glad you brought this up. It's kinda inspired me for my next project to see if I can do short chapters. Honestly, I've tried similar projects before, limiting myself to 3-5 pages per chapter, but always ended up bored or distracted. Now I really want to see one through, and have really geared up for it.
E.M.DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:48 AM   #59
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.DuBois View Post
gmw I have to admit, I'm really glad you brought this up. It's kinda inspired me for my next project to see if I can do short chapters. Honestly, I've tried similar projects before, limiting myself to 3-5 pages per chapter, but always ended up bored or distracted. Now I really want to see one through, and have really geared up for it.
Good luck with it. For myself, I find that the story idea seems to dictate this sort of stuff; the current project just sort of fell out this way.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #60
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Good luck with it. For myself, I find that the story idea seems to dictate this sort of stuff; the current project just sort of fell out this way.
You're right. Chapters do tend to tell you how long they want to be. I don't mind writing the long ones but I like the short ones because there's less typing when I transcribe them.
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote