Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-25-2016, 06:07 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
One would have thought they might have tried moving their customer libraries to the Kindle platform!
Shouldn't they do what everyone else has done and sell their customers to Kobo?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Shouldn't they do what everyone else has done and sell their customers to Kobo?
This has already been addressed earlier in the thread.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #18
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I have forgotten my password for the site and their "forgot your password" feature does not seem to be working, so I guess I am out of luck. Pretty sure I don't have any books there, anyway, so I'm not worried.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I do have one book that I wasn't able to reconvert (to put a functional cover on) but I found it does read properly on the Kindle Fire (an upgrade perhaps?) so at least I can read it on the go now.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This has already been addressed earlier in the thread.
And it was even the post immediately before the one I quoted.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2016, 12:40 AM   #21
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I have forgotten my password for the site and their "forgot your password" feature does not seem to be working, so I guess I am out of luck. Pretty sure I don't have any books there, anyway, so I'm not worried.
Same here.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:46 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Is there anything on the site that we might need to archive. I already anticipated this and captured EBook HTML in our wiki for archive purposes.

Dale
MobiCreator and MobiReader installers perhaps, maybe they're available from elsewhere. If not I have them

I use the first for most PDF conversions, whilst it has no tweaks it usually does a better and a more consistent job than 'bells and whistles' converters and it's faster, and I sometimes use the latter.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
All the developer documentation has already been captured by archive.org.

See https://web.archive.org/web/20160314...ev/default.asp
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:35 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Thank you - that's very useful to know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #25
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:

A word of warning: the data in the web archive might be forever, but the access isn't.
If the (new) owner of the domain decides that no one should have access to the (perhaps unrelated!) website on the domain, then web archive will take this to mean the archived content should not be accessible either.

IOW: access to web.archive only as long as the live(!) robots.txt allows it.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:47 AM   #26
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
MobiCreator and MobiReader installers perhaps, maybe they're available from elsewhere. If not I have them

I use the first for most PDF conversions, whilst it has no tweaks it usually does a better and a more consistent job than 'bells and whistles' converters and it's faster, and I sometimes use the latter.

BR
@BetterRed - Please share a copy.

Also suggest a replacement for .mobi previews on Windows.

I have an older version of mobipocket that screams and use Sumatra for ePub (would that be better/ best for .mobi also for Viewing and Windows Explorer based "Preview" tab/ panel)?
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:47 AM   #27
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
A word of warning: the data in the web archive might be forever, but the access isn't.
If the (new) owner of the domain decides that no one should have access to the (perhaps unrelated!) website on the domain, then web archive will take this to mean the archived content should not be accessible either.

Cant download the Setup/ Installers for right now. Dead or Blocked.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Calibre is far better for Mobi creation or preview.
LO Writer far better for PDF creation and there are very many PDF viewers (Foxit on Windows, Xodo on Android).

The mobi programs are pointless. They were pointless even in in 2016.

Amazon bought mobipocket, which first was selling ebooks for Palm PDA, Win CE PDA and Symbian before Amazon sold ebooks. Maybe even before most people had heard of Amazon. Then of course they killed it. Switched off the servers for DRM too. A failure of USA Consumer regulation.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #29
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post

For what it matters, in the years since this was post the Wayback Machine has changed their policy. Lots of domain squatters blocking access to previous versions of sites.

But it's still contingent on the website having been archived to begin with.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:51 AM   #30
crashnburn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Calibre is far better for Mobi creation or preview.
LO Writer far better for PDF creation and there are very many PDF viewers (Foxit on Windows, Xodo on Android).

The mobi programs are pointless. They were pointless even in in 2016.

Amazon bought mobipocket, which first was selling ebooks for Palm PDA, Win CE PDA and Symbian before Amazon sold ebooks. Maybe even before most people had heard of Amazon. Then of course they killed it. Switched off the servers for DRM too. A failure of USA Consumer regulation.
I am sure Well, way back I installed mobipocket, and its still present albeit not used much. So wanted to keep for who knows when.

PS: In terms of "preview" Pane in Windows Explorer, not within Calibre App, is that possible?