Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #46
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
It depends on the device. I usually keep stuff on the computer, and download from there.

The last swap was restoring a lot of music after a computer crash. I had the files on the Acer. Since I was using the Kubuntu box at the time, it was easier to use a card reader, I put all the media on an external hard drive. My other half also lost the USB stick that I use in the media player in the truck. It has no proprietary books on it. The card has just nonDRM epub and pdf books on it.

I'll probably put the card from the Nook into the Kobo when I get it. Does it give you any indication that it's still working if it takes so long to load new books?

The Nook chewed away all night, and just wouldn't load. Had no idea if it was working or not. I loaded books alphabetically, and up to the letter "o" it was reasonable. That was only about 186 titles. The Acer (android) uses a tree file.

I usually sort by author. The Kobo can't be slower than the original Nook Wifi.

Last edited by Alpha o; 01-21-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #47
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@davidfor: Is there any concern regarding the database (especially the activities table) for those people who use nickel and never sync with Kobo (either via desktop or WiFi)?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
I'll probably put the card from the Nook into the Kobo when I get it. Does it give you any indication that it's still working if it takes so long to load new books?

The Nook chewed away all night, and just wouldn't load. Had no idea if it was working or not. I loaded books alphabetically, and up to the letter "o" it was reasonable. That was only about 186 titles. The Acer (android) uses a tree file.

I usually sort by author. The Kobo can't be slower than the original Nook Wifi.
Unfortunately, the Kobo firmware doesn't process the books in the background. It I does show the progress (a bar and percent complete) but you can't do anything else with the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@davidfor: Is there any concern regarding the database (especially the activities table) for those people who use nickel and never sync with Kobo (either via desktop or WiFi)?
The only thing I can think of is there are a some rows left in various tables after a delete. These are cleaned up at the next sync. Most of them won't be seen as they are for downloaded kepubs. The row for a deleted shelf is the only one that I am sure of. Bookmarks have an interesting behaviour, but I don't think they are left behind when deleting a book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 AM   #50
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My first year using Kobo ereader I had all of my side loaded books in a file on each of my computers . When I loaded those books into Calibre it stored those books into it's file system with many more folders. I tried to keep both my old book file system and Calibre file system but was not worth effort. Now just use Calibre and use Kobo readers to transfer books to each computer's Calibre library with a simple sync. Both systems work ok but best to settle on using one of the other. One of the best things about Calibre, it is quicker to find books in library and read reviews to decide on next book to read. Kobo's library is slow finding you next book to read out of a large number of books without using search which works good. Using slider to get close to wanted book in Kobo's library is frustrating time waster.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #51
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just got the reader, it simply won't charge, either by outlet or computer. It's dead, am returning.

To top it off, it was sent in a flimsy bubble envelope.

I see a couple of other threads on the Kobo, very interesting about adding other readers and sideloading.

I have one more question - what killed B&N for me was a couple of opt out lines. You could opt out of B&N itself and one affiliate, but there were 2 more affiliates you could not opt out from. How bad is Kobo? Anywhere you can find the TOS on the library without signing up? I've also tangled with the Zinio reader and I don't like what it wants to install on the computer.

I did look through the library and they had some decent Sci-Fi. It looks like I will order a Kobo, but which one and from where I have to figure out.

Last edited by Alpha o; 01-26-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:43 AM   #52
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Just got the reader, it simply won't charge, either by outlet or computer. It's dead, am returning.
Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but just to doublecheck: have you tried a different cable?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #53
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:

To top it off, it was sent in a flimsy bubble envelope.

I see a couple of other threads on the Kobo, very interesting about adding other readers and sideloading.

I have one more question - what killed B&N for me was a couple of opt out lines. You could opt out of B&N itself and one affiliate, but there were 2 more affiliates you could not opt out from. How bad is Kobo? Anywhere you can find the TOS on the library without signing up? I've also tangled with the Zinio reader and I don't like what it wants to install on the computer.

I did look through the library and they had some decent Sci-Fi. It looks like I will order a Kobo, but which one and from where I have to figure out.
My AuraHDs came in a box. One of them might have come with the box inside a bubble envelope, though. I added Koreader and read using that everyday.

The Zinio e-Magazine subscription service will run on Android and iOS devices, not on e-Ink book readers. It is for tablets, the bigger the better.

Have you checked the Kobo web site for their TOS?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #54
Alpha o
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but just to doublecheck: have you tried a different cable?
Yes, I tried the one from my phone. I tried it in an outlet that works (I charge phone with it) and in the computer both. Computer did not even see the device.
Sees any other USB I plug in, so it isn't the connection.

Looked for troubleshooting, tried turning off (screen would not go blank) found a paper clip and tried reset, no go. Also waited an hour to see if it would self start, that didn't work, either. Screen was showing request to charge. No light.
or anything showing charging.

I've done troubleshooting on my phones - check the cable is the first step.

Got the RMA, so back it goes. I am disappointed. Think I will order Glo.

Last edited by Alpha o; 01-27-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #55
Alpha o
Addict

I'll have to look up Koreader. No, I didn't see the TOS on Kobo. You usually see TOS when you subscribe. I'll try searching.

I'm on the laptop and I don't want to install a reader on it. It's funny, I prefer to read instructions, recipes, and other how-tos on the computer, but I hate reading books on it. I will use the tablet, and an ereader. It is probably the form factor and the e ink that makes the difference.

This is the second time I've seen electronics shipped in bubble wrap. The other was a Coby tablet ordered from Adorama Camera. At least the Coby worked.

Thanks for all your help.

Just looked up KoReader. Looks like you need root. How hard is it to root Kobo? I've rooted Android phones to get rid of extras and carrier bloat. Use Cyanogenmod. I do use Kubuntu, but still find command syntax a little strange at times.

Think I'll play with the tablet for a bit before I do anything. I haven't rooted current phone (it uses a different Android OS and rooting does not void warranty) as it let me disable most junk.

Last edited by Alpha o; 01-27-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #56
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo eReaders are basically pre-rooted. Most hacking on the device simply requires the placing of a custom KoboRoot.tgz in the .kobo directory and then disconnecting the USB cable.

Some hacks require manual editing of Kobo eReader.conf located in the .kobo/Kobo directory of the device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #57
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
For TOS look here.

If the device is saying that it is low on power and needs charging, that is a good sign and you should try charging over night.

No "rooting" is required to add Koreader. Not on Kobos, not on Android devices.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #58
Alpha o
Addict

I found the TOS. I registered on Kobo itself.

The Touch didn't say low on power, just needs charge right away. Does that battery icon in the upper left corner show any activity while charging? I sent it back. The seller didn't fuss, just sent an RMA, so they could have suspected a glitch.

If it was just low, the computer should see it when plugged into USB.

I've never seen anything that dead. I think it might have been a clearance item on someone's store shelf and sat too long. Some tablets and phones have that problem. You need a new battery. If it's supposed to shut off after a set time, it's possible a software glitch prevented and it's been live for too long. I've received cell phones that were down to 5% and while screen wouldn't turn on, they beeped or gave other indications they were charging as soon as they were plugged in.

Even the Nook wifi sat for a whole year or more without a charge and wasn't that dead. I had turned it off. I have a couple of old Palm PDAs that haven't been charged in years, yet I can plug them into charger and they respond.

I'll put a device under avatar when I get a working Glo.

Last edited by Alpha o; 01-27-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #59
AndrewH7
Enthusiast
AndrewH7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Think 1 needs to activate it, it not able to do any thing if not. After that just need to copy books to in using USB.
File types =: *.txt *.rtf *.htm *.pdf *.gif *.jpg *.png & *.epub

If text file has only characters 32~127 ASCI okay but if some characters 160~255 then save as UTF-8.
€  ‚ ƒ „ … † ‡ ˆ ‰ Š ‹ Œ  Ž   ‘ ’ “ ” • – — ˜ ™ š › œ  ž Ÿ

If has characters Nos. 128~159 or Nos. more than 255 then save as HTM or RTF.
AndrewH7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #60
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Since I just had the opportunity redoing this after a firmware reset...

First time turning on, you have to select your language, then select "no wifi available" (or some such), then it asks you to connect the PC. That gives you access to the USB storage, and the .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite

At this point there is actually already an entry in the users table. You have to get rid of it and insert your own. Just inserting does not (always) work.

The user table:

Code:
$ sqlite3 KoboReader.sqlite 
SQLite version 3.8.8.1 2015-01-20 16:51:25
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> .schema user
CREATE TABLE user(UserID TEXT NOT NULL,UserKey TEXT NOT NULL,UserDisplayName TEXT,UserEmail TEXT,___DeviceID TEXT,FacebookAuthToken TEXT,HasMadePurchase BIT DEFAULT FALSE, IsOneStoreAccount BIT DEFAULT FALSE, IsChildAccount BIT DEFAULT FALSE,PRIMARY KEY (UserID));
The existing entry:

Code:
sqlite> select * from user;
00665c32-6e8a-4b3d-84b2-4df0173419d3|494cf778-af9d-407e-a37d-26d8b4565dae|demobundle06_13@kobo.com|demobundle06_13@kobo.com|||false|true|false
Get rid of it and insert your own. It can be entirely empty:

Code:
sqlite> delete from user;
sqlite> insert into user values ('','','','','','','','','');
sqlite> .quit
Unmount / eject the device properly. It should go into the main menu. Clicking 'sync' should ask for wifi network data and update the device; or you can put the firmware KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo folder to update offline like. Just make sure you use the correct firmware for your reader.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote