Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which readers, tools and file formats are you using/intending to use?
I (shortly will) have Sony 300 5 5.56%
I (shortly will) have Sony 500 4 4.44%
I (shortly will) have Sony 505 39 43.33%
I (shortly will) have Sony 600 17 18.89%
I (shortly will) have Sony 700 6 6.67%
I (shortly will) have Kindle 2 6 6.67%
I (shortly will) have Kindle DX 2 2.22%
I (shortly will) have Cybook Gen3 8 8.89%
I (shortly will) have Cybook Opus 6 6.67%
I (shortly will) have Hanlin V3 2 2.22%
I (shortly will) have Hanlin V5 2 2.22%
I (shortly will) have BeBook 3 3.33%
I (shortly will) have BeBook Mini 1 1.11%
I (shortly will) have Astak EZ Reader 1 1.11%
I (shortly will) have Astak EZ Reader Mini 8 8.89%
I (shortly will) have iRex iLiad 3 3.33%
I (shortly will) have iRex 1000S 5 5.56%
I (shortly will) have any other eInk device 5 5.56%
I (shortly will) have Jetbook 6 6.67%
I (shortly will) have iPhone/iPod touch 21 23.33%
I (shortly will) have any other dedicated eBook reader 6 6.67%
I use .lrf/.lrx 41 45.56%
I use .azw/.tpz 7 7.78%
I use .prc (Mobipocket) 27 30.00%
I use .epub 55 61.11%
I use .pdf 39 43.33%
I use .lit 14 15.56%
I use DeDRM tools 34 37.78%
I use conversion tools like calibre 60 66.67%
I use dedicated reader software like Mobipocket Reader, eBook library, ... 29 32.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Your actual and (near) future situation: Readers, tools, formats, ...

Which reader(s) do you own right now?
Which reader(s) do you intend to buy?
Which file formats are you using/intending to use?
Which tools are you using/intending to use?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Kindle 2, Sony 505, Opus (being returned to BoB), Treo 700wx.

Quote:
Don't know. Would like something like the Plastic Logic for home and a 5-6" pocket device for when out and about. Ideally these could sync with each other so one could be reading the same book on both without having to manually find where you left off on the other device.

Quote:
Mobipocket (some ePub).

Quote:
Calibre, Book Designer, Mobipocket Creator...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Kindle 2, Sony 505, Opus (being returned to BoB), Treo 700wx.

Don't know. Would like something like the Plastic Logic for home and a 5-6" pocket device for when out and about. Ideally these could sync with each other so one could be reading the same book on both without having to manually find where you left off on the other device.

Mobipocket (some ePub).

Calibre, Book Designer, Mobipocket Creator...
For mobility, I'm using Kindle app on iPhone and iPod touch. I can't sync with Kindle 2, as I haven't got Whispernet over here. But it's syncing flawlessly between iPhone and iPod.
And it probably can't get any more mobile than on iPhone.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I'm still waiting for the 600 to show up in a store near me for personal inspection. The nearest SonyStyle is a few hours away.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
I'm still waiting for the 600 to show up in a store near me for personal inspection. The nearest SonyStyle is a few hours away.
Good choice. I've got mine yesterday and positively have been surprised.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
eb1150 ("other dedicated device"), sony 700
Quote:
sony 600, hopefully cybook opus.
Quote:
epub, except for the eb1150, which can only read its own format (.imp)
Quote:
calibre for library management and some conversions, sigil for epub creation.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm currently using a 505, and am on the fence about whether to get a 600 or not. I'd really like the touch screen interface and dictionary...but I love the clarity of my 505. My husband has a 700--that I've played with and really like the interface. One day I think I'll definitely get a 600 and the next I think I don't really need it. I'm sure it'll happen at some point.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You left Kindle 1 off the list. I have K1, K2 an iPod Touch and am looking forward to Plastic Logic.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You left Kindle 1 off the list. I have K1, K2 an iPod Touch and am looking forward to Plastic Logic.
Only 30 entries per poll allowed and I wanted to combine readers/tools/formats...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Only 30 entries per poll allowed and I wanted to combine readers/tools/formats...
But each of the Sonys got a mention. Some folks only have Kindle 1 (some of our most prolific posters like Desertgrandma and RickyMaveety).

Edit: I just remembered that Ricky has a DX as well.

Last edited by daffy4u; 09-08-2009 at 06:23 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
For mobility, I'm using Kindle app on iPhone and iPod touch. I can't sync with Kindle 2, as I haven't got Whispernet over here. But it's syncing flawlessly between iPhone and iPod.
And it probably can't get any more mobile than on iPhone.
That's the kind of capability I'd love (Kindle to iPhone/Touch), but in a broader sense. I don't want to be tied to only books I buy from Amazon. Maybe some software I could run on my web server or on a home network that houses my library.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
Jane A
Addict
Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.Jane A 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have an ebw1150 and an Ipaq. I use the ebookwise at home and I have the Ipaq in my purse. I really love both of them and even though the Ipaq is small it is so convenient with all it's other features that I would not give it up. I love being able to pull it out and read a couple of pages when I'm waiting for an appointment or I'm stuck at the railroad crossing waiting for the train.

I used to buy any DRM files in .lit so I could convert them for use on my ebookwise, but fewer publishers are using that format these days. Because of that I have figured out how to dedrm ereader and epub (for my own personal use). If I want to read a book on my Ipaq I convert it to .lit because I'm so used to that format. I use and really like calibre to manage my books, though I also use librarian for the ebookwise. I seem to have a complicated system!

I keep looking at all the cool, new shiny ereaders out there and feel urges to buy one, but then I realize I am perfectly happy with what I've got. I'll see how long I can resist.
Jane A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Not on the list, as I don't own a dedicated e-ink reader. Both my readers are LCD screens, one a PDA (3.4"), the other the JE100 (7").

I am looking for a replacement for the PDA. Small and readable in daylight are the most important elements. And I also want a 6" or 7" touch screen e-ink reader in the near future. I'm still not decided on which one though. Or when.

Mobipocket. Solely. It runs perfectly on my Windows Mobile (PDA) and Windows CE (JE100) devices. I did try zulureader, but it's just missing too many functions I use a lot. Maybe I should give it a try again...

De-DRM, naturally. Calibre, naturally. I will buy DRM'd books, de-DRM them and convert them (if necessary) with Calibre. I have too many devices I use to read books on, so I'm forced to remove the DRM from my bought books (two PDA's, two PC's, 1 phone and 1 JE100).

Quote:
That's the kind of capability I'd love (Kindle to iPhone/Touch), but in a broader sense. I don't want to be tied to only books I buy from Amazon. Maybe some software I could run on my web server or on a home network that houses my library.
Hmm, I just have a webserver that serves a .NET application which allows me to download books as long as I have an internet connection.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I have a Sony 505, great for general reading. Still waiting for a large screen reader with WiFi that would be suitable for reading newspaper with original formatting like (like the Irex DR 1000SW that probably will never come) so I can conveniently read newspapers from Europe and the US. Tried it on a PC and that is not for me. Such a device would be for PDF files, too. In this category I am interested in the upcoming Plastic Logic device. I mostly use EPub files, occasionally I buy other formats when I can find a better deal and De-DRM and convert the files.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #15
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Good choice. I've got mine yesterday and positively have been surprised.
You did not ???!! And I am the "expensive" one ?

Which reader(s) do you own right now? Sony 505, Opus (more for hubby than for me), Iphone (kindle app). My Sony 300 in Pink is expected anyday now, a used Kindle 1 will arrive after Thanksgiving

Which reader(s) do you intend to buy? Well, hopefully you won't influence me anymore, but I would not swear I won't sin again ;-)

Which file formats are you using/intending to use? lrf/lrx, azw, tpz (), epub

Which tools are you using/intending to use? calibre and sony ebook library 2.5, I'll let others experiment AND HAVE FUN with 3.0 a bit more before upgrading.

Last edited by aceflor; 09-09-2009 at 06:48 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formats, poll, readers, tools