Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-27-2022, 08:27 AM   #1
Volker_K
Volker_K began at the beginning.

Device: tolino epos
Question calibre editor gets invisble

calibre is genius application. I use it a lot especially to transfer scientific literature I want to have on my eReader from PDF to ePub (with MS Word as a tool in the process). It works normally great, but now I have a strange phenomenon:

In Windows 10 when I start the editor from
- the calibre GUI
- from "Open with" in Windows Explorer
- from Start menu
- with Windows Explorer direct opening from Programs folder (with and without admin rights)
- with command line (with and without admin rights)
I see a short flicker on the screen which seems to be outlined like the calibre editor window, but then the window is not visible. I can see the icon of the editor in the task bar though, and on hovering on that icon with the mouse I see the little preview thumbnail windows shining up and showing the editor windows correctly. I see them also in Alt-Tab previews, but not in Windows-Alt-Tab resp. in "Active Applications".

The calibri main application and the viewer run correctly.

I did this:
- I deinstalled calibri 64bit and an old version of calibri 32, which was not removed during upgrade to the 64 bit version.
- I updated calibre to the latest version (5.41). The update worked correctly including attaching to the right database etc.
- rebooted
- I checked an older installation of calibre 64bit on another Windows PC. There is no such problem.
My system:
- Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 build 19044.1645 x64
- Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
- RAM 32,0 GB
I don't understand the problem and have no solution. Sorry if this a repetition of a known problem, but I didn't find that.

Volker
Volker_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Its probably offscreen use the windows shortcut to list all offscreen windows, I cant remember what it is a quick google should find it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2022, 01:11 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
alt+space M then arrow keys.
Move left (arrow) is most common
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 04:34 AM   #4
Volker_K

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Its probably offscreen use the windows shortcut to list all offscreen windows, I cant remember what it is a quick google should find it.
Hi Kovid,

where did I have my grey cells? Thanks for finding them back for me!

Actually, I have a third monitor on another table that I can switch off but that does not really shut down and Windows still sees it as 'on', but for me, it is 'off'. There the editor was. Ouch.

Tx again for all the efforts you put into these wonderful applications!

Volker
Old 05-01-2022, 04:39 AM   #5
Volker_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
alt+space M then arrow keys.
Move left (arrow) is most common
Hi TheDucks,

actually in different localizations these hotkeys may be different, in my 'German 'Windows the sequence is ALT-SPACE, w, arrows. That also would have helped, besides switching on that third monitor... (see above).

Tx a lot
Volker
Advert

Tags
calibre editor