Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What’s your favorite Jane Austen novel?
Northanger Abbey 2 5.71%
Sense and Sensibility 1 2.86%
Pride and Prejudice 13 37.14%
Mansfield Park 1 2.86%
Emma 4 11.43%
Persuasion 5 14.29%
Something else 1 2.86%
I have yet to have the pleasure 5 14.29%
Austen’s awful 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
What’s your favorite Jane Austen novel?

The header says it. Poll inspired by a valued member who doesn’t get her. I’m limiting it to the finished novels, but you’re welcome to mention the uncompleted works in the comments.

Last edited by issybird; 03-04-2022 at 04:47 PM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I voted for Emma. I would have picked it as my favorite in any case, but my memory is fresh in that I’ve been listening to it during bouts of insomnia. I thought I was thoroughly familiar with it, and I was, but I am still finding new things in it.
Advert
Old 03-04-2022, 07:49 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'm a fan of Sanditon - I 'discovered' it by accident after reading Reginald Hill's The Price of Butcher's Meat - a marvelous retelling set in Sandytown - featuring the irascible Andy Dalziel in a Jane Austen setting.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:12 PM   #4
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Emma and P&P are available free from Amazon without bother of Gutenberg.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:28 PM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I voted P&P ... though I really like Emma. For me P&P wins out because I think the balance (story, language, character) is just about right. Or it could just be because this was my first.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2022, 11:18 PM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I had to vote P&P because I loathed Emma - the character. I, came VERY close to dropping the book and had to force myself to finish it because she was so awful, but I do remember saluting Ms Austen for succeeding in her apparently stated aim to create an unlikeable protagonist. That would suggest that Emma the book might be the greater achievement of writing, it definitely generated a much stronger reaction than the inoffensively bland P&P.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 05:30 AM   #7
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
They’re available here on mobileread too!
My favourite is P&P
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:51 AM   #8
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I voted for Northanger Abbey -- I like the acerbic humour, and the protagonist who is naive and makes stupid mistakes, but is still described sympathetically by the author. I actually struggled through "The Mysteries of Udolpho" (which Catherine and Eleanor are raving over) because of it. (I don't recommend that one -- it drags on and on and on, and there's no satisfactory answer to the mystery.)

Others are close -- Pride and Predudice is probably second, or maybe Persuasion.

The only one I haven't reread more than once or twice is Emma, it makes me cringe from secondhand embarrassment
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:31 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Emma, the character not the book, truly is awful. I forget just how very awful she is between readings, but I think that’s part of what I find so interesting about the novel. I was struck this reading by how Emma’s judgments about Mrs. Elton could mostly also apply to herself. Emma’s not vulgar, but other than that? As with all of Austen, it’s about the money.

But who can’t identify with this?

Quote:
To be always doing more than she wished, and less than she should!
Old 03-05-2022, 07:36 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'm a fan of Sanditon - I 'discovered' it by accident after reading Reginald Hill's The Price of Butcher's Meat - a marvelous retelling set in Sandytown - featuring the irascible Andy Dalziel in a Jane Austen setting.
I’ll bite on this. I did love Dalziel and Pascoe back in the day, but I ran out of steam with them (as I do with virtually all series) before I hit this one. But it sounds like fun and Dalziel is one of the greats.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:10 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’ll bite on this. I did love Dalziel and Pascoe back in the day, but I ran out of steam with them (as I do with virtually all series) before I hit this one. But it sounds like fun and Dalziel is one of the greats.
To fully appreciate the plot, you need to read the preceding installment Death Comes for the Fat Man - which sets up the plot lines and characters that are expanded upon in The Price of Butcher's Meat.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:18 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Gutenberg is simpler than Amazon and doesn't need a log-on.

I found it hard to choose. She's got a sharp wit and actually the works were more "cutting" at the time in satirising and criticism of society.

I also suspect she was a fan of the "gothic" novels (all real) mentioned in Northanger Abbey. Those are all available free. I've been editing out OCR errors and bad formatting on them and will upload here eventually. They are quite entertaining.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
We tried watching Sanditon the TV series and found it was not good. It may have been because of the cast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Gutenberg is simpler than Amazon and doesn't need a log-on.
All except Northanger Abbey are available on Standard eBooks. No log-in and a much nicer presentation than Gutenberg. It's a win/win!
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I chose I have yet to have the pleasure, though to be honest I don't see myself ever having the pleasure. I have zero interest in Austen. Yet I couldn't bring myself to select Austen’s awful. That is simple ignorance. She's not Ayn Rand after all.

I can say that some things are not for me because they just do not interest me.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-05-2022 at 12:37 PM.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote