Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2023, 10:18 AM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Can you not preview free books?

On the Kobo store website, clicking the cover of a lot of books opens a free preview. However, this doesn't seem to be possible for free books.

Can anyone confirm? The Kobo site is being spotty for me (503 errors) so it's hard to check.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:25 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
On the Kobo store website, clicking the cover of a lot of books opens a free preview. However, this doesn't seem to be possible for free books.

Can anyone confirm? The Kobo site is being spotty for me (503 errors) so it's hard to check.
I'm getting 503 errors as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2023, 10:34 AM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Dang! I was hoping it was just a localized problem. Though, IIRC, Massachusetts isn't too far from N.S. so maybe it sitll is.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:40 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Can't test, Kobo too intermittent here in Ireland right now. Sometimes loads after long delay, or at once or times out. Maybe Kobo suffering DDOS attack?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:47 AM   #5
Boneist
Enthusiast
Boneist doesn't litterBoneist doesn't litterBoneist doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I can confirm that Kobo doesn’t do previews on free books, or at least not on the ones I’ve ever looked at. As a workaround, I tend to preview another book in the same series, but obviously that doesn’t work for standalone books (or even series where each book is written from a different character’s viewpoint/style/etc).

I wish they would let you preview free books, though, but I guess they figure you could just remove the book from your library if you didn’t want it.
Boneist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert