Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2022, 02:08 AM   #1
benali72
benali72 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Publishing on Amazon Without KDP ?

Is there any way to self-publish your book on Amazon without using Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP)?

I've written a book that exists in HTML, EPUB, and Kindle (azw3/kf8) formats. I'd like to place it on Amazon as a self-publisher.

I don't want to use KDP because that only accepts a single Word file as input, afaik. Also, KDP only runs on Windows and Apple platforms.

My book is natively written in HTML (then converted to EPUB and Kindle formats). It would be tough to convert to Word because it's long and contains lots of images. It would be one very unwieldy Word file.

Thank you for your advice.
benali72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:48 AM   #2
kevin3289
Addict
kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevin3289 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi, I am on kdp, and have no trouble uploading EPUB files. I'm pretty sure it is now the preferred format for Amazon these days. Kdp is simply the name for the Amazon publishing platform, and it is very easy to use.

Last edited by kevin3289; 11-22-2022 at 03:06 AM.
kevin3289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2022, 04:05 AM   #3
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
They do take epub - I've used it myself.
Here is Amazon's info page all about it https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200634390
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benali72 View Post
Is there any way to self-publish your book on Amazon without using Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP)?

I've written a book that exists in HTML, EPUB, and Kindle (azw3/kf8) formats. I'd like to place it on Amazon as a self-publisher.

I don't want to use KDP because that only accepts a single Word file as input, afaik. Also, KDP only runs on Windows and Apple platforms..
No, this is all completely untrue.

Recommended best upload for KDP is epub2. We send exactly the same file (at Amazon support's recommendation) to KDP, Google Play Books and to Smashwords (who distribute it unchanged to Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble and others).

Amazon is platform agnostic for upload to publish. You only need a web browser (fill in metadata), high resolution cover upload and epub upload.

You do not run any Amazon program or app for KDP. Only need a browser.

Amazon convert the epub to mobi (KF7), azw3 (KF8) and KFX. Then when someone buys the ebook what they get depends on what Kindle or Kindle app they have registered.

You can even specify DRM free, though that only applies if KFX is not used. If someone has an eink Kindle and specifies that for USB transfer via PC (inc Apple Mac OS, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android) and downloads via Web browser on ANY platform able to send a file to Kindle via USB they get DRM free if you asked. In any case KFX is only used for Apps and newer Kindles if WiFi/Cell Whispernet is used.

Do make sure the epub TOC is correct and each page break is a separate HTML file (or else mobi will have no page breaks). Programs like Calibre or Sigil can use headings above a specified level to split files and build TOC.

We use Linux and epub and never have had any problem with Amazon KDP.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Only large publishers can avoid KDP. It is 100% accessed via Web Browser, email responses and epub + cover image uploads.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2022, 01:19 AM   #6
benali72
benali72 began at the beginning.

Thank you all for your help.

I see now that I was confusing Amazon's information on their Kindle App with their Kindle Direct Publishing process. They're two entirely different things. So I got way off track.

I have a lot to learn will read up more on this, starting with that URL you helpfully supplied.

Thank you all again.
benali72 is offline   Reply With Quote