Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-16-2022, 09:04 PM   #1
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Do you enjoy reading on a PC?

I know this may sound a bit weird for some people, but with many books I prefer reading them on my desktop computer rather than an ereader?

Why? Usually because I become quite involved with the story, so in addition to having the Calibre reader open on one screen, I also have Wikipedia and Google Maps open on my second screen.

With Wikipedia I can quickly research and understand technical references. eg the book I am currently reading mentions the Fermi Paradox which I had not heard of before, but was quickly able lookup, rather than just glossing over it in the novel.

With Google Maps, I can plot and track the progress of the expedition. I can call up streetview or those 360deg images of the sites that are being described in the novel and actually see them, rather than trying to imagine them.
A good example of this is The DaVinci Code and following Robert Langdon around the sites of Rome or one of the Vince Flynn novels where Mitch Rapp is travelling through the Middle East.

This can also hold true with some close to Earth sci-fi novels - those based on one of the planets in our system or on the moon. Still using Google Maps and zooming around the solar system or viewing sites on a particular planet being described in the story.

It is also more convenient when having to fix spelling and other mistakes in the ebook.

Does anybody else do this?
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:06 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Not me. For one thing, my PC doesn't work so well in a pool, bath tub (those are why I want a waterproof reader) or my bed.

Also, reading on a PC is even more distracting to me than reading on a phone or tablet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Yes. I often read non-fiction on my PC for this reason, especially if they're PDFs. The 34-inch monitor gives plenty of room to get the most out of maps and diagrams. The other type of reading I do on my PC is at the opposite end of the intensity scale. I work nights in a WFH 'call centre' type job with LONG periods of inactivity. So I have my work app resized to 85 of my screen and the Calibre viewer in a column next to it, and read light novels using the autoscroll function. very handy.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:52 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't read books on a computer, but I often look something up there while reading, like you do. I read 99% of the time on my sofa, with my laptop or tablet close by on a desk. So it's easy to use Wikipedia or some other resource while reading.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:07 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd read non-fiction and research. But not reading novels, though before 2006 I didn't have any alternative for electronic only fiction. Sometimes between 1986 and 2007 I printed out a book. I never enjoyed it. It only this year got a 23″ 4K screen nearly as good to read on as eink. Laptop 1600x1200 in 2002 was a big improvement over CRT.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-17-2022 at 04:10 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2022, 05:12 AM   #6
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
Yes i read all on my computer,why simple the big screen The downside of getting old.
And calibre is making it easy to find.
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #7
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I have never been tempted to read a book on my computer. I much prefer to read from my Kindle or a physical book from the comfort of my armchair. Preferably with a nice cuppa and a biscuit or two or three.���� I look forward to spending many enjoyable hours doing just that beside my open fire in the coming months. The little pleasures in life. ����
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:35 AM   #8
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
It is not often that I read fiction on my PC. But it does happen.
Anyone reading on a PC should take a look on the WordWeb program
It has the distinct feature that it can read the word under the mouse cursor with a hot key combination and then activate the program.
In the picture below I have activated the program by doing a ctrl + rightclick on the word "Cambridge".
You can now select to search for "Cambridge" using any dictionary tab.
The dictionary tabs can be user defined in the pro version.
I am not in any way affiliated with WordWeb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camb.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	197830  

Last edited by svenlind; 11-17-2022 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:46 AM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not read on my desktop or laptop. I prefer to be comfortable when I read. The desktop isn't very mobile. The tower weighs 43 lbs. empty. That said I read on my surface pro. I have calibre installed and if I need to look anything up, I can do it on the Surface Pro. I don't normally look things up when reading though. I am so immersed in the books I read that I am unaware of anything else. Ask my wife. She tends to get irritated when I don't respond to her questions.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:04 AM   #10
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
No, I don't enjoy it in the least. I usually skim through any geographical, botanical, character, etc etc, descriptions anyway.

Reading Russian classics I don't care exactly what kind of carriage the characters are traveling in (out of 500 slightly different models) and how many of what kind of horses you'd use for that particular mode of transport. Any description of clothes are translated in my head to just that, clothes - I only care about the colour. Often the rank of a character is deemed important - somebody is a Collegiate Councillor and is conversing with a Collegiate Assessor; and again I don't particularly care and just read on. It's usually clear from the context who's higher on the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Ranks.

If I do encounter something I want to delve deeper in I have Wikipedia available on my Android e-ink devices. My main phone is the Hisense A9 and it's always with me, so I can check Wikipedia and Wiktionary whenever I need and want to.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:16 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not read on my desktop or laptop. I prefer to be comfortable when I read. The desktop isn't very mobile. The tower weighs 43 lbs. empty.
And don't forget the monitor! It's also one of the reason I don't like reading behind my PC. Though I have a very good office chair at home, I prefer reading laying down. And I never managed to position my 27" monitor so that I comfortably read from it...

I don't mind reading from a LCD or OLED screen though. It's just the convenience a tablet or ereader provides.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:57 AM   #12
kekinash
kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kekinash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Leaf2, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW (last generation)
My job involves being around computers all the day, even as I mostly work from home. I always have 3 computers or more open in one moment. So for me nothing beats to get "disconnected" from my PC world and read from a e-ink device or a traditional printer book. When I need to research something in the book my tablet or phone is the best tool.
But yeah, sometimes I read something in my computer, normally is PDFs, manuals, instructions and such.
kekinash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:08 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I don’t enjoy reading on a PC now, but when I got my first one and could access all those public domain books I’d never been able to find in bookstores, oh, I loved it then! Then I got a handheld and then an eink reader and the world of public domain as well as libraries and bookstores was my oyster. I wouldn’t read on one now.

As for looking up stuff while reading, I use Alexa a lot for that. Don’t have to put the reader down or even navigate away from the page. She’s easily good enough for the trivial, dates, locations, names etc. although obviously not for in-depth background.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:12 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If my PC screen(s) magically appeared in front of face wherever I happened to want to do some reading, I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to "reading on my PC". Otherwise: "in front of my PC" is where I do work, so it's typically my least favorite place to relax with a book.

I don't edit/format ebooks I'm reading, so that's not a factor.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2022 at 10:14 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:14 AM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd read non-fiction and research. But not reading novels...
I mainly read novels, but I do read non-fiction from time-to-time. But I've noticed generally I pick up non-fiction because it is some rabbit hole I've already gone down online. So by the time I read the book, I already have enough familiarity to not need to do extra research.

Or maybe I don't read especially challenging non-fiction
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote