Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Forget about the typography. At the moment I'm just playing around with some words.

Let's talk color:

I tried yellow and it was basically unreadable.

I switched to blue, and it pops out better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Train - Johnny Pease.jpg
Views:	3192
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	197965  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:53 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Forget about the typography. At the moment I'm just playing around with some words.

Let's talk color:

It does look a lot better in B&W. I can get a screen grab on my Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2022, 06:07 PM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It does look a lot better in B&W. I can get a screen grab on my Libra 2.

Now the problem is to somehow work in the complete title AND somehow arrange the words in some way that looks attractive.

(I also have a very limited command of Pixelmator Pro, which I purchased a few years ago.)
Old 11-23-2022, 06:53 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

Let's talk color:

Try a creamy-milk-white with a tint of yellow for the titling.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:34 PM   #35
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Let's talk color:

Sorry, this is still low-contrast, messy, and obviously amateurish. The background interferes substantially with text readability. I stand by my previous assessment
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2022, 05:17 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Sorry, this is still low-contrast, messy, and obviously amateurish. The background interferes substantially with text readability. I stand by my previous assessment

Noted. -- Thank you.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:22 AM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Here's a different image. (The image of an owl is actually mentioned in the text.)

I'm not certain how important Kobo's Cover View is in the overall scheme of things when it comes to reading a title. (And List view is so small that [for me], I find it practically useless when trying to make out information on a cover. I also don't think it matters at all - in List View - due to the fact that author/title is listed right next to the image!)

In Cover View, my name is quite visible. Where this is not easily discernible is when attempting to view the title of the book. I notice, however, that in quite a number of instances when scrolling around in calibre that either the title or the author is sometimes not easily read in Cover view.

But: I'm always willing to look at counter arguments from all the very helpful comments given to me. (I was convinced to change the title, dropping the surname.)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Owl - smaller file size for Mobileread.jpg
Views:	4743
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	197976  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-24-2022 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:28 AM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here's a different image. (The image of an owl is actually mentioned in the text.)

I'm not certain how important Kobo's Cover View is in the overall scheme of things when it comes to reading a title. (And List view is so small that [for me], I find it practically useless when trying to make out information on a cover. I also don't think it matters at all - in List View - due to the fact that author/title is listed right next to the image!)

In Cover View, my name is quite visible. Where this is not easily discernible is when attempting to view the title of the book. I notice, however, that in quite a number of instances when scrolling around in calibre that either the title or the author is sometimes not easily read in Cover view.

But: I'm always willing to look at counter arguments from all the very helpful comments given to me. (I was convinced to change the title, dropping the surname.)

Thanks!
I don't wish to be harsh, but dude, are you seriously trying to kill this book?

Hitch
Old 11-24-2022, 08:08 AM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The book is obviously written with the Steven Millhauser novel in mind, if not an explicit homage. So I think you could do worse than to evoke the original cover:

The original cover doesn’t translate perfectly to ethumbnails, but I think a similar variation in font and color and eschewing a picture altogether would be very good ideas.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:46 AM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, as mentioned in my thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=349960

Your image is too large !!!

I'm not certain if I want to evoke a similar cover, but I'll think about it. -- Thanks!

ADDED: Yeah, I need to think about not having an image at all. I don't know; I'm conflicted on all this right now.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:50 AM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Hitch

WAIT! --- Give me your thoughts on why you don't like an owl.

(I haven't heard 'Dude' in a long time.)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:50 AM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
WAIT! --- Give me your thoughts on why you don't like an owl.

(I haven't heard 'Dude' in a long time.)
It's got nothing, really, to do with the owl. It's simply...I just don't know what you're doing here. Why would anyone, anyone at all, stop and look at that cover, much less click on it? For what, a book about an Owl? Well, the book's not about an owl, is it? What is it about? Oh, wait, we have no idea, because it's appaerntly really meant to be Litfic, so we're going to be deliberately obscure.

Here's the same thing that I tell my clients, and you are, as are they, just as welcome to ignore it as some of them do--your cover is clickbait. That is its entire job. It has no other job, no other existence. Serves no other purpose and anyone that tells you differently is blowing smoke. Other ideas around cover purposes are mostly wishful thinking and inexperience.

Once the cover has been clicked, and the prospective buyer is on your sales page, the cover may as well vaporize. It's rarely looked at again (even Amazon will confess that if asked; people don't look at covers after they buy and don't read front-matter, by and large, either, which is why all Kindle eBooks open to the first chapter, despite the flailing by their authors to force the reader to read the front-matter) and it's done its thing.

Then it's the job of the description and the LookInside, to get the buyer to BUY. That is the job that those elements are meant to do--to get someone to buy. Period.

I just don't understand whom you believe would click on that cover. To read what? Who is your perfect reader? What is s/he seeking, and why does that cover invoke that sense in him/her, that this is the "right" place to look? Can you elucidate that, in some way that connects to the snookered Owl and the incredibly boring sans font face?

Hitch
Old 11-24-2022, 12:16 PM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Hitch
Ha! Yes.
I'd only have big image of an owl on a book on owls, or maybe as part of an image with blood for a definite horror novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The book is obviously written with the Steven Millhauser novel in mind, if not an explicit homage. So I think you could do worse than to evoke the original cover:

The original cover doesn’t translate perfectly to ethumbnails, but I think a similar variation in font and color and eschewing a picture altogether would be very good ideas.
I think a good suggestion.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:33 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Try a creamy-milk-white with a tint of yellow for the titling.

Hitch
How will that look on an eInk screen in grayscale?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:43 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How will that look on an eInk screen in grayscale?
You'd be surprised. I don't claim to being a cover designer, altho after nearly 7500 books, it's amazing what you pick up. BUT, white, cream, light (very) banana yellow, all show up pretty amazingly on eInk screens.

FWIW: I test all kinds of software, to keep up on what my customers are using. "Writing" programs, plotting programs, screenwriting, blabbety-blab.

I've learned to make a book cover, from scratch, using various methods so that I could tell a customer, "yes, you can do this" or "no, that learning curve [or whatever] is too hard unless you want to turn pro." I started using something uber-easy--the in-Word templates, from DIYBookCovers.com and managed. Even made a few that are, holy crap, in the wild today. Then I moved to making covers in a more-traditional way, Photoshop, AI and InDesign and all that. Learning what colors work for titling, against what backgrounds....that's part of it and also, what does and doesn't work on eInks. It's part of being able to intelligently discuss these things with customers and contractors.

BUT, Jon--don't forget--the average bear ain't lookin' at the cover once it's ON the eink, as I mentioned above.

Hitch