Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2022, 02:56 PM   #16
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
At the bottom of the library pages is a link to "cookie settings." Unfortunately, clicking on it causes the page to refresh right after opening the modal so I can't see what the options are.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #17
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
No cookie setting on their webpage will keep you logged in. I am allowing all their cookies, yet I am still logged out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2022-12-06 13-34-07.png
Views:	1055
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	198237  
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Yup, I got logged out of all my libraries.

Using inspect element to check the cookies shows that one called _cac (which contains the user's email address and what seems to be account information like "checkoutLimitsByMedia" and "canPlaceHolds") expires 10 minutes after login.
Well found. I've installed a cookie manager with Firefox. I've edited the expiry date on that cookie and I'll see if it works when more then 10 minutes is up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:28 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I changed the expiration date and I also changed to Secure and httpOnly. I did this for all cookies expiring today. It seems to be working.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:35 PM   #20
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Yup, I got logged out of all my libraries.

Using inspect element to check the cookies shows that one called _cac (which contains the user's email address and what seems to be account information like "checkoutLimitsByMedia" and "canPlaceHolds") expires 10 minutes after login.
I don't have that cookie. My cookies set by Overdrive right after I logged in are shown below. There are two Session cookies, followed by two more (_dc_gtm... and _gat) that have an expiration date within a minute of when they were set, then the next one (_gid) expires one day after being set, then the remainder have much longer expiration dates.

p.s. - Interesting that I have cookies being created by Google and Doubleclick on the Overdrive webpage - my web browser settings are to always block 3rd party cookies. Interesting, ... interesting indeed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OverdriveCookies.png
Views:	1049
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	198239  

Last edited by haertig; 12-06-2022 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Added p.s.
Advert
Old 12-06-2022, 05:55 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I use Privacy Badger, which does a pretty good job of nuking the trackers.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
p.s. - Interesting that I have cookies being created by Google and Doubleclick on the Overdrive webpage - my web browser settings are to always block 3rd party cookies. Interesting, ... interesting indeed!
That goes beyond interesting to terrible. I know chromium initiates a lot of traffic to google whatever the settings, but I wouldn't have thought that would extend to setting cookies against policy. Are you sure you didn't set an exception for Overdrive?

In any case, there are chromium derived browsers that set out to purge google from chromium. among them are brave and ungoogled chromium.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:44 PM   #23
gussy
gussy began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note 10
No Time Out on Android Phone

I have been seeing the sign in constant time out for two days now. When I access my libraries overdrive sites on my android phone, I do not get timed out. Tried Privacy Badger but did not work on my desktop Chrome.
gussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:44 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I don't have that cookie. My cookies set by Overdrive right after I logged in are shown below. There are two Session cookies, followed by two more (_dc_gtm... and _gat) that have an expiration date within a minute of when they were set, then the next one (_gid) expires one day after being set, then the remainder have much longer expiration dates.

That's not from the main Overdrive site. That's from a library's Overdrive site.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:09 PM   #25
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I've started to use multiple libraries this year and keep having issues with Libby. No matter what I do, accounts do not sync across multiple devices. It used to be when I searched a book it showed different options at multiple libraries, although a bit tediously, but now it will only show the results of which library I have open without other options.

With Overdrive I previously mainly just used on web browsers, but I cannot get an account to list all my libraries under sign in with email for two years. Every time I have tried it asks me to verify email, never sends the email, and will not remember account information. Only option I can sign in is using a library card, but it won't let me collect all in one account

Yes, they are glitchy and hopefully both keep improving.

Also had a library card need re-verification recently on Libby for some reason, but it kept giving me an error when trying. Thankfully that resolved itself, think it was something with the library being down

Fortunately the borrowing part works fine
Paperbackstash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:53 PM   #26
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's not from the main Overdrive site. That's from a library's Overdrive site.
No, it's from the main Overdrive site.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:14 PM   #27
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That goes beyond interesting to terrible. I know chromium initiates a lot of traffic to google whatever the settings, but I wouldn't have thought that would extend to setting cookies against policy. Are you sure you didn't set an exception for Overdrive?
I did some further digging into this. What I found is that the screenshot I posted above showing the Google and Doubleclick cookies was done while I had my ScriptSafe extension disabled. I did not realize that at the time I took the screenshot. I was doing testing to see if I could keep Overdrive from logging me out via cookie settings, and also via selectively allowing some Javascript. Those Google/Doubleclick cookies were coming when I loaded the Overdrive webpage, but with all Javascript enabled. When I disabled all Javascript and reloaded the Overdrive webpage (after exiting the browser to clear everything out), those Google/Doubleclick cookies did not appear when the Overdrive webpage was loaded (and "block all third party cookies" was enabled). So it appears that "block all third party cookies" does NOT stop 3rd party cookies that are planted via the Javascript route.

In the old days, you used to be able to get by blocking all Javascript. But these days, most websites will not function without their Javascript. So the issue have become, "selectively block some Javascript". Easier said than done once you look and see all the Javascript from various places that most websites use. Overdrive is not too bad when it comes to loading Javascript from different websites, but it does load a bunch of scripts from Google.

Quote:
In any case, there are chromium derived browsers that set out to purge google from chromium. among them are brave and ungoogled chromium.
Google Chrome is built on Chromium. Chromium is not a stripped down version of Google Chrome. Chromium should be Google-free because the Google stuff is added on top of Chromium, which turns it into Google Chrome. At least that's the way I understand it. And that's also the reason why I use Chromium and not Chrome. However, who develops Chromium? Google!!! So it is doubtful that Chromium is totally Google-free. It is probably more Google-free than Chrome though.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:19 AM   #28
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Just came to check after being logged out multiple times yesterday and today. Sad it is happening, but glad it is not just me.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:22 AM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have the same problemswith log out, but they began yesterday.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:09 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've sorted the problem. The add-on Cookie Manager for Firefox allows me to change the cookie expiration dates and thus, the cookies are not expiring in 10 minutes.