Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-17-2023, 08:26 AM   #1
miral
miral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW10 & KT3
Convert PDF to EPUB and preserving the index

I think ePub is convenient for reading even on desktop sometimes. And I really like the possibility of jumping to specific chapters/sections using the index.

Unfortunately converting PDF to EPUB usually messes up the index. So that only part of it works or it just not works well.

What can I do? Is there a good conversion process PDF to EPUB which will get the index right.

Or is there a good way doing it manually?
miral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:59 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miral View Post
I think ePub is convenient for reading even on desktop sometimes. And I really like the possibility of jumping to specific chapters/sections using the index.

Unfortunately converting PDF to EPUB usually messes up the index. So that only part of it works or it just not works well.

What can I do? Is there a good conversion process PDF to EPUB which will get the index right.

Use the PDF instead of converting unless you can get a hold of the source for the PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

When you say "index," do you mean the Table of Contents (front of the book) or the subject-matter/topic index at the back of the book, please?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:03 PM   #4
miral

Table of Contents.. I would like to be able to jump to specific chapters/sections from anywhere in the book.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:17 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Table of Contents.. I would like to be able to jump to specific chapters/sections from anywhere in the book.
There is no magic PDF to ePUB conversion. We all wish that there was, but there isn't.

You can try Calibre, which works about as well as any other, but you will need to get your hands dirty in the HTML, and create the links. It's not horribly hard to do, really and if you ask here in the workshop, people will help you solve your questions. Of all the tasks to undertake, honestly, creating TOC links is about the easiest for a newbie to learn, so...give it a shot!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:59 AM   #6
miral

PDF to ePUB works ok for me with ABBY. Layout is ok mostly. In Calibre I remove the ToC and create it from all headings. Works quite well. And it's not much work.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:43 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Converting from PDF to any other format is not worth it on most cases. You have to fix it by A/Bing the PDF to the other format. That means everything including spaces.

It's a hassle really. Even using regex to try to fix it, there's a good chance there will still be conversion errors.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:45 PM   #8
Pippo53s03
Pippo53s03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2ed
Quote:
PDF to ePUB works ok for me with ABBY. Layout is ok mostly. In Calibre I remove the ToC and create it from all headings. Works quite well. And it's not much work.
ABBYY is wonderful.
Pippo53s03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 06:20 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippo53s03 View Post
ABBYY is wonderful.
But it's not perfect and you still need to A/B compare.