Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are there any instructions for using ebook-convert? Without directions, I'm going to have to go back to 0.5.14 and cannot help to beta test.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-07-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #47
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ebook-convert -h
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #48
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
You get more specific help messages by putting in the file you want to convert from and to, and then -h. At first I couldn't quite figure out how to specify an OEB file, because I wanted to convert from HTML to OEB, but finally I figured out that I could just specify a directory and it would convert to OEB. So I got help converting from HTML to OEB by doing:

ebook-convert infile.html oeb_directory -h
Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #49
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

There's a note in the help file that comes up with that -h option that says you can go here for full documentation of the conversion system, but it's not up yet.

Oh, and so far, I'm very much liking the new ebook-convert program; it lets me set the language and rating and ISBN and series name and other metadata that the old html2oeb wouldn't let me specify. (I don't know if the old version of ebook-convert would do that too, since this is the first time I'm using it, but I just wanted to mention that it's pretty cool so far.)

Last edited by chorpler; 06-07-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added parenthetical comment
Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #50
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah the documentation is a TODO
Advert
Old 06-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #51
chorpler
Zealot

Hmmm ... well, I like the options of ebook-convert, but it doesn't seem to be converting HTML to OEB right. For one thing, the images in the HTML file, which used to be stored in content\resources\, are now stored there and then deleted because they aren't in the manifest, it says, and the resulting OEB has no images in the HTML file. Here's an output of an attempt to convert Cory Doctorow's book Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom from HTML to OEB; it has a cover image at the beginning and three navigation arrows which are GIFs at the beginning of each chapter, and the conversion doesn't include them for some reason. I've highlighted the parts where this seems to happen in red:

Code:
1% Converting input to HTML...
InputFormatPlugin: HTML Input running on C:\ebooks\Doctorow_Cory\Magic\Cory_Doctorow_-_Down_and_Out_in_the_Magic_Kingdom.htm
Building file list...
IgnoreFile(u'C:\\ebooks\\Doctorow_Cory\\Magic\\Down_and_Out_cover.jpg is a binary file',)
	Found files...
		 HTMLFile:0:a:C:\ebooks\Doctorow_Cory\Magic\Cory_Doctorow_-_Down_and_Out_in_the_Magic_Kingdom.htm
Parsing all content...
Parsing ../../../../../ebooks/Doctorow_Cory/Magic/Cory_Doctorow_-_Down_and_Out_in_the_Magic_Kingdom.htm ...
Parsing file '../../../../../ebooks/Doctorow_Cory/Magic/Cory_Doctorow_-_Down_and_Out_in_the_Magic_Kingdom.htm' as HTML
Referenced file '../../../../../ebooks/Doctorow_Cory/Magic/Next.gif' not in manifest
Referenced file '../../../../../ebooks/Doctorow_Cory/Magic/Top.gif' not in manifest
Referenced file '../../../../../ebooks/Doctorow_Cory/Magic/Previous.gif' not in manifest
Referenced file '../../../../../ebooks/Doctorow_Cory/Magic/Down_and_Out_cover.jpg' not in manifest
Generating default TOC from spine...
Packaging HTML files...
Rewriting links in OEB documents...
	Rewriting links in c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.0b2_isdpmj_plumber\..\..\..\..\..\ebooks\Doctorow_Cory\Magic/Cory_Doctorow_-_Down_and_Out_in_the_Magic_Kingdom.htm
	Rewriting links in c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.0b2_isdpmj_plumber\..\..\..\..\..\ebooks\Doctorow_Cory\Magic/Next.gif
	Rewriting links in c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.0b2_isdpmj_plumber\..\..\..\..\..\ebooks\Doctorow_Cory\Magic/Down_and_Out_cover.jpg
	Rewriting links in c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.0b2_isdpmj_plumber\..\..\..\..\..\ebooks\Doctorow_Cory\Magic/Previous.gif
	Rewriting links in c:\docume~1\admin\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.0b2_isdpmj_plumber\..\..\..\..\..\ebooks\Doctorow_Cory\Magic/Top.gif
Rewriting links in TOC...
Rewriting links in guide...
34% Running transforms on ebook...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
	Detected chapter: A note about this book, February 12, 2004:
	Detected chapter: A note about this book, January 9, 2003:
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 1
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 2
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 3
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 4
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 5
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 6
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 7
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 8
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 9
	Detected chapter: CHAPTER 10
	Detected chapter: Other books by Cory Doctorow:
Auto generated TOC with 13 entries.
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...
Trimming 'content/resources/Next.gif' from manifest
Trimming 'content/resources/Down_and_Out_cover.jpg' from manifest
Trimming 'content/resources/Top.gif' from manifest
Trimming 'content/resources/Previous.gif' from manifest
Creating OEB Output...
67% Creating OEB Output
OEB output written to C:\ebooks\Doctorow_Cory\Magic\opf_output
Output saved to   C:\ebooks\Doctorow_Cory\Magic\opf_output
I'm not sure what the deal is; I suspect I'm just not understanding something. But I don't see anything in the help that tells me why it's complaining about the manifest...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Most likely a windows path related issue. Open a ticket and attach a zip file containing the html and associated image files.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #53
chorpler
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Most likely a windows path related issue. Open a ticket and attach a zip file containing the html and associated image files.
OK, done. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #54
pars_andy
Connoisseur
pars_andy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
post the output from running

calibre-debug -d

at a command prompt with your 505 connected
Here you go!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 AM   #55
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Sorry....forgot to attach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	30450  
Old 06-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #56
pars_andy
Connoisseur

I also get this error on some occasions if I move from epub output to lrf output in the conversion window.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\convert\single.pyo", line 152, in setup_pipeline
File "calibre\gui2\convert\single.pyo", line 134, in widget_factory
File "calibre\gui2\convert\lrf_output.pyo", line 39, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\convert\__init__.pyo", line 52, in initialize_options
File "calibre\gui2\convert\__init__.pyo", line 73, in apply_recommendations
File "calibre\gui2\convert\__init__.pyo", line 123, in set_value
Exception: Can't set value u'' in opt_serif_family
Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 AM   #57
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This should be fixed in beta 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pars_andy View Post
I also get this error on some occasions if I move from epub output to lrf output in the conversion window.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\convert\single.pyo", line 152, in setup_pipeline
File "calibre\gui2\convert\single.pyo", line 134, in widget_factory
File "calibre\gui2\convert\lrf_output.pyo", line 39, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\convert\__init__.pyo", line 52, in initialize_options
File "calibre\gui2\convert\__init__.pyo", line 73, in apply_recommendations
File "calibre\gui2\convert\__init__.pyo", line 123, in set_value
Exception: Can't set value u'' in opt_serif_family
Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #58
pars_andy
Connoisseur

I'm sure it's beta 2 i'm using. I'll double check when i get home though and report back.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #59
akwant
closed
akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ---
I've just tried 0.6b2, my console shows messages like these direct after intall and first run:

08.06.09 12:38:00 kernel Helvetica LT MM/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:00 kernel Keyboard.dfont/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:00 kernel LastResort.dfont/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:00 kernel Times LT MM/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:00 kernel Times LT MM/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:04 kernel fonts.dtd/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:05 kernel fonts.alias/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:05 kernel fonts.dir/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:05 kernel fonts.scale/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:05 kernel fonts.scale/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:08 kernel fonts.alias/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:08 kernel fonts.dir/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:08 kernel fonts.dir/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:08 kernel fonts.scale/rsrc: file access by '/rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:10 kernel rsrc' was deprecated in 10.4
08.06.09 12:38:54 [0x0-0xda0da].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2137] link hasn't been detected!
08.06.09 12:38:54 [0x0-0xda0da].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[2137] link hasn't been detected!

not sure if it's important or not.

I'm running an Intel Mac with 10.5.7

PLUS: and it seems that cover are not included into epub output.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #60
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
I am looking at ebook-convert now and have a few questions:

1) Is there any particular reason why input and output filenames must be the first and second arguments in the commandline, respectively? It is usual to enter parameters first and only then the filename(s).

2) Output filename should be optional, and a part of some parameter (e.g. --output=my_book.epub) rather than a required argument; the default output format would be defined in the configuration.

3) Parameter -h or --help doesn't work as expected - it requires that input and output filenames be defined and valid before a help is displayed! E.g. to show help I need to do something like ebook-convert.exe c:\somewhere\existing\book.htm x --help
Closed Thread